• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

encountering problems with humidity beads

mateo3904

Banned
I have my new desktop running steady now and the cigars seem to have come back to life. I purchased a drymistat tube and a tube of heartfelt beads when I bought the humidor and neither of them will hold humidity above 55%. The foam humidifer is hovering between 68-70% but needs constant attention. I filled the drymistat tube above the fill line by mistake and lost a couple pieces of gel.

The heartfelt beads I misted with a spray bottle but I think I over saturated them. They aren't broken. Ive tried placing them in a sealed tupperware container next to a dish of distilled water for an hour and that hasn't worked. When I place them in the humidor the humidity just drops drastically even though 70-80% of the beads seem moist. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I used this same procedure with my last tube of heartfelt beads and they worked great. The disc humidifier is taking up too much space in my small humidior and I would prefer to use the beads. I'm out of ideas unless the beads are bad. They have been in my closet now for a couple weeks and they don't seem to be drying quickly.

Search is your friend. Be careful..there have been many posts similar to this recently.

Want to know what you are doing wrong...?? Very simple:

....They aren't broken. Ive tried placing them in a sealed tupperware container next to a dish of distilled water for an hour and that hasn't worked....

Seasoning a humidor takes days, maybe weeks....not a few minutes. Yes, this topic has been answered 6.02 E23 times but let me give you some quick advice.....

Get the foam humidifier out of there, as it's worthless. I'd put a shot glass or two (or your shallow tuppperware bowl) of distilled water and the beads in there, and leave it for at least a day. Don't open it up every hour to see what's going on. I'd leave the environment alone until you're up to 70% or maybe a point or two over, at which point your beads should hold the humidity. If they don't, you have a bad seal or other issues that need attention.

This isn't rocket science, but patience is required.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Adding to what Tom (BBS) said, occasionally you'll need to add some more distilled water to your beads.

Edit: BTW Tom, is my wife over at your place? If so, tell her I fended for myself. ;)

Want to know what you are doing wrong...?? Very simple:

....They aren't broken. Ive tried placing them in a sealed tupperware container next to a dish of distilled water for an hour and that hasn't worked....

Seasoning a humidor takes days, maybe weeks....not a few minutes. Yes, this topic has been answered 6.02 E23 times but let me give you some quick advice.....

Get the foam humidifier out of there, as it's worthless. I'd put a shot glass or two (or your shallow tuppperware bowl) of distilled water and the beads in there, and leave it for at least a day. Don't open it up every hour to see what's going on. I'd leave the environment alone until you're up to 70% or maybe a point or two over, at which point your beads should hold the humidity. If they don't, you have a bad seal or other issues that need attention.

This isn't rocket science, but patience is required.

Good luck - B.B.S.

The only thing you forgot was to make sure you Hygrometer is calibrated.

The only thing you forgot was to make sure you Hygrometer is calibrated.

You are 100% correct. I get good results with the salt test, but I use an old Mason jar or old mayo jar or the like, rather than plastic bags. Far, far more repeatable. The little Bovida cal kit is super easy and is worth the cost, IMHO.

Good catch - B.B.S.

I have checked my hygromter and it is spot on according to the salt test.

Yesterday afternoon I put my tube of heartfelt beads and a dish of distilled water in the humidor. I checked the rh a minute ago and it's at 68%. I have 65% beads so I am tempted to take the water out. I refilled the dish and am going to wait one more day.

Oh and the seal is good. Passed the bill test on all sides.

As long as its between 65 and 70. You're not going to always get dialed in accuracy.

No, this isn't the gooch. It seems like it is a past member who isn't very creative when it comes to screen names and had a serious meltdown a couple of years ago. I could very well be mistaken but chances are it's the old mateo.

No, this isn't the gooch. It seems like it is a past member who isn't very creative when it comes to screen names and had a serious meltdown a couple of years ago. I could very well be mistaken but chances are it's the old mateo.

No I think your right I read some of those old threads and it really seems like the same guy. I couldn't find the one he had a meltdown in (link?) but really what is the chances that they are both from Oregon with the name mateo the same writing habbits and the same questions about a humiidor. hmm...