• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laphroaig 30 yo Islay Single Malt Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Laphroaig 30 yo Extremely Rare Single Islay Malt Scotch, 750 ml, standard bottle, 86 proof, packaging varies from none to cardboard tube to wooden box with pricing to match. $190-250+

Laphroaig%2030.JPG

The 2nd from the top Laphroaig bested in age only by the 40 yo version.

Another Friday done with only 3 hours of non-paid overtime today. Being on salary sometimes sucks. After arriving home just in time for a dinner of beef from the rotisserie and salad and veggies from our garden I went out on the back porch with a guilty 2 fingers of this marvelous scotch. I could breathe this stuff all day :D . The nosing is full of sherry, fruits and peat. Spiced apples and pears come to mind on top of the famous Laphroaig Islay peat.

The first tasting is a full on blast of sherried smoke, the whisky almost seems thick as it coats your tongue. The initial burst of flavor is full and round with just a hint of oak but it is the perfect mix of peat that gives this whiskey it's character, the alcohol is barely noticed with all the flavors swirling around. I've had the 40 yo and those extra 10 years mellow things out a bit, something that I don't think is an improvement and for me, puts that version slightly behind the 30 yo. I'm greedy so someday I may own both.

This Laphroaig finishes very long and smoky with the hints of fruit seeming to pop up out of the smoky peatiness. This goes down so well and easily you'll find a major dent in your bottle in no time if you don't control yourself.

Absolutely, without a doubt one of the best Scotches I have ever had the pleasure to own and drink. If you are a fan of Islay style scotch this is the one to strive for, buy and savor. A true centerpiece of almost any collection. :thumbs: :love: :thumbs: :love:

I would have to second you on that AVB. Although I have cut my drinking to a very rare event anymore I was thinking of this stuff the other day and thought about hunting down a bottle to keep for special occasions. Excellent drink, love it over the rocks with a nice full bodied smoke.

ads

As a lover of the 15yo, after this review I will half to splurge on the 30yo. Great review AVB. My only question though would be if you think this could spoil you against any other scotch? :) Gregor

I try not to drink any other scotch for a few days after having the Laphroaig 30, sometimes it does feel like a let down. Going from great to merely good can do that.

another great review AVB :thumbs:

$190-$250 is out of my price range for a bottle of scotch right now but I will still have to keep an eye out for a bottle

Maybe Secret Santa will drop some off for both of us :D

I'll have to agree with Ray. I bought this for my own birthday present. It was suprising how back the peat flavor was and the longer it sat out the more complex this dram got. The air does wonders for this scotch. Between a few of us we killed almost half of this bottle. I'm glad I have this in my collection. This is the first bottle I have purchased since the tragedy with the Balveine 30.

Hopefully, the Laphroaig provided a little solace for you.

Nice review.
This is a bit out of my price range right now, however it sounds like a wonderful experience, the Islay malts are the best IMO... :thumbs:

I will have to give Laphroig another try. I find the 15 yr old too medicinal; too much iodine taste. Maybe they'll have it at Whiskyfest in April.
Just bought 30 yr old Highland Park and Bowmore; will post when I open them this fall, hopefully soon.

I'll be looking for that Highland Park review.

AVB: Saw you have the Lagavulin DE, too. When I saw you had the last post here, I thought I was gonna read you have the HP 30 and Bowmore 30, too.

Looking forward to doing the "research" for the review.

Yeah I've got the Bowmore 30 too, just forgot to mention it. :0 No HP 30 and it isn't on my list so that review is all yours.

This was the first Islay I ever had. I have to admit that my first sample of this was not to my liking. So I set the bottle on the back bar and figured I'd give it another go a few weeks later. I still found it overpowering and not really to my liking but I was able to enjoy it for what it was, something different from what I'm used to. It reminds me of my first couple of experiences with Opus X cigars. When I smoked my first Opus X, I said to myself, "What's the big deal with these, they aren't all that great." but after smoking a few Opus X, I now love these cigars but I have to be in the mood for them to enjoy them

Just the other day, I figured I'd give it another try and WOW, this time I was pleasantly surprised!! :thumbs: As with an Opus X, I have to be wanting this scotch at the time and when I'm in the mood for it, nothing else will do! Tonight, I poured myself another glass and I like this even more than I did just a few days ago and I know I'm headed down this road for sure:

This goes down so well and easily you'll find a major dent in your bottle in no time if you don't control yourself.

Must learn to control myself or this bottle will be history in no time!! :laugh:

Thanks Ray for turning me on to one of the best! :thumbs:

Thanks CC, I have been so curious about this Scotch since the first time that I read AVB's review. Perhap's I'll need to search this out before the end of the year.

:cool:

The more parsimonious and thirsty of us, will find the 10 yr. old, a worthy substitute at $38. a bottle.

Doc.

The law of diminishing returns between good and great applies. :whistling:

I finished off a bottle a couple months ago. I wish I knew where to find another.