• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How many 12oz beers in a half-keg?

Gonz

Ultra Runner
I've done the math, even assumed less than the full 15.5 gallons, but I'm curious as to the amount in reality, not my math world.

Also wondering how long a half keg will last under pressure in a home keg fridge (professional, not half-assed college version).

Why you ask? Well, I'm glad you did! I'm curious to compare the cost of a nice keg fridge in the bar vs. buying 12 packs of my favorite beer (Schell Pale Ale, New Ulm, MN (Supposedly 2nd oldest brewary in the US)). And I want to know if a keg under pressure will go bad in how long it may take my wife and I to drink it.

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Two things that jump to my mind.

Half a keg. Not nearly enough. :whistling:

The other is the foam factor. An inexperienced keg pumper can foam the crap out of the cup. That will affect how much comes out. Some beers even foam more than others, so it is hard to say.

The keg will last for about a 12 hours or so, then the beer starts to taste like crap. This is only from my experience and not facts. But if facts are what you are looking for, I am sure someone will step up from AA. ;)

If by half-keg you mean a normal sized keg, a half-barrel, 15.5 gallons, the kind you buy anywhere, then it's about 165. If you mean half a keg/a pony keg/a quarter barrel, it's about 75.

I know it's good the next morning ;) IF you are going to bother with a keg fridge, you may as well set up a CO2 system. In that case, the beer should be fine for months if not a year.

America's 2nd oldest? How does it compare to Yuengling?

Nevermind, I found the answer. Yuengling is the oldest in the US and Schell is the 2nd oldest FAMILY owned, again behind Yuengling.

Gonz said:
I'm curious to compare the cost of a nice keg fridge in the bar vs. buying 12 packs of my favorite beer (Schell Pale Ale, New Ulm, MN (Supposedly 2nd oldest brewary in the US)). 
[snapback]185953[/snapback]​

I vaguely remember the number 72 from my college days.....but that was in a thick alcohol-induced haze....so that may or may not be right...

The scientific answer can be found here.

Here's what I have in mind.

Sorry, I confused Half-keg with Half-barrel, which technically is a full keg. 15.5 gallons is what I'm talking about. And when I said under pressure, I meant CO2, not just sitting on ice with a tap holding whatever you pumped in there. Doing the math, assuming 15 gallons (and half gallon of waste/foam) I get 160 12oz beers. I just wanted to be sure that was accurate, and from the responses, it's about right. And I wanted to be sure we could finish it before it went bad. So, assuming 160, we would finish it in about 12-13 weeks. Perhaps it might be nice to have a double set-up, so I could have a choice. Hmmmmm...

Daaaaaymmmmmmmnnnn $1,500+ for a keg cooler. Did you look here for something a little more reasonable?

It's amazing what you can find when you open your eyes!

This appears to be the answer to all my questions. I figured I'd find something like this, or it would be pointed out to me eventually, however just in case someone else here was interested I posted anyway. Enjoy!

And yes, that Marvel fridge I pointed out is very expensive, and perhaps I may decide on one of the Summit models instead. I used to have a built in Summit undercounter fridge with a cabinet panel in our last house, and I found the quality for the $$ unbeatable.

Thanks for all the answers!