• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ramon y Ramon

xprinter

Hi All

Went to the local B&M and bought a few Ramon y Ramon Nino(50 x 5 1/2 inches Toro). They were in the Partagas 150 signature series humidor which were made in 1995. Now the only reference I find about these cigars is:

"As a tribute to Ramon Cifuentes, the creator of the Partagas cigars, Edgar Cullman, CEO of General Cigar commissioned the Ramon y Ramon cigar to honor General’s long relationship with Ramon Cifuentes. Cifuentes died at the age of 91 in January 2000. The special cigar was announced at the 2000 RTDA show and shipped to the fortunate customers in November. The filler tobacco is Piloto Cubano and Nicaraguan. The binder leaves are Connecticut broadleaf and the attractive and spicy wrapper leaves are African Cameroon. General Cigar manufactured the Ramon y Ramon cigars at the Cifuentes factory in Santiago, Dominican Republic."

It was in the 18 drawer humidor with the 150's in the middle and the Ramon y Ramon cigars on each side.
Was this humidor released in late 2000 with the already 5 year 150's?

OR

Did the humidor go through a time warp? :0

OR

Did I go through time warp? :0

And if anybody is insterested my wife told me when I got home that I bought 5 to many :( , I had ONLY got 15(all they had), now thats not to many is it? :whistling:

Jim

The humidors were relesed in 2000. They celloed the 150s for this release. The Ramon Y Ramons were only availible in this package. It had 100 of those and 50 Partagas 150s in it.

Hello Jim,
Some of those old humidors have stuck around for a while. A quick story.

Here in the souther tier of Western NY (just under Buffalo, NY), Big Indian smoke shop had 2 of those Ramon y Ramon humidors, with the Partagas 150s (drawers in the middle of the humidor) and the Ramon y Ramons (drawers on either side of the Partagas 150s). The first humidor was cracked open in 2000 and the contents sold almost immediately.... frighteningly fast I must say, as I was only able to score about 2 Partagas 150s :angry:

The owners of the shop said they wanted to sit on the other humidor, letting it sit for another 5 years until they could figure out what to do :0 (CONJECTURE ALERT: my guess is that they wanted to put the humidor up on a cigar auction site and score some big cash for it). In the fall of 2005, the 2nd humidor was opened up, and I plundered the Partagas 150 shelves as much as I could afford (they weren't cheap! up to $22 a stick for the larger sizes).

So, needless to say, there are STILL some of those humidors kicking around in the right places. There numbers may not be bountiful, but when you run into them you can't go wrong with either the Partagas 150 or the Ramon y Ramons! The taste is almost comparable, with the Partagas 150s slightly edging out the RyRs (to my taste buds anyways).

Nice find! :)
Darren

I think Smokyballs and PTownshend have it nailed as to how these were released.

I recall some folks being more than a little annoyed that the 150s were being released again, as they'd paid a pretty good chunk o' change for what they thought was a limited release when the 150's first came out, and hadn't realized that the Cullmans were sitting on a bunch more.

Was never a great fan of either the P150's or the Ramon y Ramons, particularly for the prices that were being asked. But thats the beauty of this obesession - there's something for everyone out there... :)

My brother found one of these complete humidors for sale in northern indiana. The asking price is $3000, but I cannot tell if there is much of an interest. He's thinking of picking it up and piecing it out, but I've seen posts saying some people were finding the Ramon y Ramon at bargain prices because people were just selling the stock. I think there was a thread here on CP saying someone picked up the RyR for under $7 a stick sometime in 2006 or early 2007.

I know the Partagas 150s would be popular, but are the Ramon y Ramone? Is this find an opportunity or fool's gold? I'm tempted to split it with him, but I'm just not sure....

Here is the break down of the humidor:
(20) Ramon y Ramon Padre ~ 6 3/4 x 43
(20) Ramon y Ramon Familia ~ 6 1/4 x 47
(20) Ramon y Ramon Nino ~ 5 1/2 x 50
(20) Ramon y Ramon Legado ~ 5 3/8 x 44
(20) Ramon y Ramon Padrino ~ 7 1/2 x 49

(10) Partagas 150 A ~ 6 3/4 x 43
(10) Partagas 150 B ~ 6 1/2 x 47
(10) Partagas 150 C ~ 5 1/2 x 49
(10) Partagas 150 Robusto ~ 4 1/2 x 49
(05) Partagas 150 AA ~ 7 1/2 x 49
(05) Partagas 150 D ~ 5 x 38

I'm not sure how popular they are, but the Ramon y Ramon are a fantastic milder smoke IMO. It was me that found them from $6 a stick, but that isn't the typical price by any means. Just finding them anymore is rare as far as I can tell.

I have one of these humidors but I have not even tried one of the RyRs. I do not really care for the 150s too much. I bought it mainly as a decoration for my cigar room so the contents were put into bags and the humidor set on a shelf. The humidor was about 2/3rds full and I picked it up for only $400 at a place that our dinner cost more than that. I was surprized to see that they let me have it. I checked it over real good too, to make sure the cigars were ok. I consider it a steal as far as collectibles go. If it was $3K, I think I would have opted to buy something I would enjoy smoking more. I think I have only smoked one of the 150s from it, and it was about the same experience from any other 150 I'd had. The best thing about the humidor version is the cello. The 150s are probably the most delicate cigar I have come accross and the cello really helps.