• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Exploring 'haunted' Houses

Turk10mm

Just smokin
Have any of you ever explored a 'haunted' house? I have.

In Seabrook, Tx, a neighboring town where I grew up there was this house called the Todville Mansion at 3300 Todville Road (Its real name is the List Mansion). This house was no ordinary house as it was built by a very strange wealthy oil man named William Gerald List. Bill List was a wealthy businessman who was also a recluse. He started construction of the house in the late 70s on Galveston bay, on a waterfront prime multi-acre plot. The house was gigantic, so gigantic that Bill List bought the brick foundry to ensure that all the bricks made went to his house, as they were having trouble keeping up with production. The house was every bit of 100 yards long and 100 feet wide by 4 stories, the first story being a garage. 24,000 square feet. However, the center 50 yards of the house was a glassed in atrium with a pool, hottub, garden etc. The front house and back house were connected via a second story elevated catwalk that traversed the atrium.

The house took several years to build and was built very quietly. The neighbors knew something big was being built but never had any idea. The outside of the house resembled a prison, and so did the inside. All the windows had wrought iron bars covering them. The all brick structure was built with suites of bedrooms that had attached kitchens, bathrooms, etc like apartments. The outside doors of the suites were built so they could be locked down. There were more bathrooms than bedrooms. The house was kept to keep people inside. The outside permieter of the house had an 8' tall brick fence surrounding it. There was a long driveway that led up to the 400yard long plot with a reflection pool also made out of the same brick the house was built from. That's just the beginning of this crazy house's story.

Bill List prowled Houston for runaway boys and invited them to stay at the List Mansion where he locked them in the suites and gave them drugs in return for favors. Its believed that he locked them in their suites as sexual prisoners. Eventually he released them as he collected more and more boys, always having a flock of young men, locked in, at his disposale.

Finally in 1984, the men he had in his house found a shotgun. They murdered Bill List in the entryway of the atrium, destroyed the house, stole his credit cards, car, and money and attempted to leave town. They were all eventually caught and tried.

The house went up for sale in 1985. My stepmother was the realestate agent who was assigned the house. It was on the market well into the late 90's. No one would buy it because of its sordid past. Finally in 1996 a realestate developer bought the property and tore the mansion down. For several years into the late 90's the foundation was still present, and you could still see the pool (filled) walkways etc.

Needless to say, I visited the house on many occasions throughout my highschool years. I took girls there to scare the shit out of em (hah, and myself). I've stood on the spot were 3 late teens layed out their plot, while the 4th stood on the catwalk above and shot him dead. The furnishings of the house stayed intact until the property sold. Much of the property was auctioned off to haunted house types. The rumor is that more than one young man lost his life in that house

Anyone from the area for a while knows of the house and its story. I would definitely say its haunted.

Front of the house
front.jpg

View from front house, through the atrium at the back house, second floor catwalk
atrium.jpg

todvillemansion.jpg

That's a very interesting story and house if you can call it that. I have not had the privilege to check out any suspected haunted houses, but have always wanted to stay at one of the haunted bed and breakfasts that they profile on the travel channel. I would need to experience some of the strange occurences in order for me to really believe in it all.

I grew up in Monticello Florida, which according to Big Bend Ghost Trackers link is one of the most haunted small towns in the US. This past Halloween my youngest (11) wanted to take a friend on the "ghost walk" where you walk around to all the 'haunted' sites. All these 'haunted' houses i grew up around, had friends that lived in them, etc... and we never saw diddly, but yet these ghost trackers allegedly have seen lots of 'haants' (N Fla Cracka term). I thought it was a bunch of crap.

My 11 yo did dupe the host. At the courthouse, there was a gunfight back in the 30's where two combatants killed each other, and the guide said at times you can see the outline of the puddle of blood (BS). Caroline, at the end of the tour, told the host that when she bent down to look for the puddle, she got blood in her hair. The host got all excited and then Caroline told her it was fake blood she got in her hair at school. It was hilarious watching her yank the chain of the ghost tracker person

Very cool story, thanks for sharing!

I'd love to see all your pics if ya got more! =)

those aren't my pics. Unfortunately, I never took any that I can remember. The place was spooooooooo keee.

ya, its flaky

and i can't tell if he's been paroled or not, he was eligible a long time ago, and a people search shows an address in League City for a 42 year old Elbert E Homan, which is 10 miles from seabrook, where the murder happend. I wonder if its an old address from before 84, maybe his parent's house or something.

SID Number: 03258285
TDCJ Number: 00401830
Name: HOMAN,ELBERT ERVIN
Race: W
Sex: M
Maximum Sentence Date: LIFE SENTENCE
Current Facility: POLUNSKY
Projected Release Date: LIFE SENTENCE
Parole Eligibility Date: 2004-09-02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Offense Data:
Offense Date Offense Sentence Date County Case No. Sentence (Y-MM-DD)
1983-08-05 AGG ROBBERY 1985-05-10 HARRIS 386076 9999-99-99
1984-10-17 MURDER W/DEADLY WPN 1985-07-11 HARRIS 412707 45-00-00

I will never buy into things that go bump in the night. I'm hoping one day people will let stuff like this die. No pun intended.

hah, i don't believe it either.. BUT.. i can definitely tell you that in the dark, that house was seriously scary. When I first went into it, it had layed dormant for the better part of 10 years. The estate paid for a groundskeeper and the inside was kept clean and furnished. The pool even had water in it.

Ghost stuff (paranormal events) is one of my hobbies. I watch Ghost Hunters on the Scifi channel. My wife got me two reservations to spend a night in the old Mansfield Prison in Manfield, Ohio. It is supposed to be a paranormal hotspot. We are going in April.

So, I find your post very interesting. I hope to have pix and video to post of my visit to the Mansfield Prison. There are a few other places in Ohio, Kentucky, West Virgina and Virginia I want to explore. Also, included in my list is St. Augustine Island Fla. light house. :thumbs:

Hey Turk, I grew up in that area, and I have seen that house. We used to dare each other to go up to the house. but not me-I was too chicken :blush: . I remember going up there one night with like 3 car loads of teenagers. The place totally gave me the heebie jeebies-I waited while my friends went up and tried to break in and look at the rumored blood stain that would appear and reappear.

Here he is: http://www.lostvault.com/penpals/detail.as...17&iAd=8822

Looks like he is still in jail.

Wanna know how I ended up here? I was just talking to a friend a couple of days ago about staying at the Big House at Camp Casa Mare as a Girl Scout back in the 80's. She used to live near by and asked if I had heard of the Todville Mansion. Well no, or at least I don't remember hearing of it. That's probably a good thing. It probably would have totally creeped me out to know what had happened just down the road... ??? I started googling and, well, I found my way here! Small world, eh? I was one of the Girl Scouts who continued the tradition of scaring the socks off of the younger girls at the Big House by telling ghost stories. We would always throw a dummy over the balcony right in the middle of them as they stood right outside the house! :0 I didn't know the whole thing was based on a TRUE story...I thought someone had just made it up along the way... (Look up the William Scott Mansion at 4810 Todville Rd; daughter's name was Ruth). The house was demolished back in 1992. Too bad...it was a beautiful house, and truly only haunted by us Girl Scouts! ;)

Oh, and hi everyone, since I am new here... :D

Ferret

I am into this stuff as well (wife too). However, I don't know if I believe in it. I have been to many different local sites and have yet to see anything "major".

Some places I have been to include...

Railroad tracks from the early 1900's. Friends and I took a road trip one night for this one. Story is that a man, his wife and son where hit by a train. The wife doesn't know that she is dead and late at night will walk up and down the tracks in a white night gown with a old flame lantern. We were waiting under a super old wooden bridge where the tracks ran overhead. All of a sudden we saw a light bouncing up and down. We were all getting excited until we saw kids with a flashlight. I got out and talked to them and they were there for the same reason.

House in Janesville, MN. Story is an old man son committed suicide when he was a teenager because everyone in this super small town would make fun of him. The old man went crazy and put up a doll in the attic window. This life size doll is pure white and is hanging by a nuse. The street light is pointed up at this window odly enough. Every year on Halloween he takes the doll down to show the town that he is not messing around. I have seen this twice, on the 2nd occasion actually saw the old man as well. Reminded me of Einstein's looks.

Cottage Grove MN graveyard. This place supposidly has tons of activity including a man that can be seen in the original grave keepers tool shed. Again, I took all sorts of pics, videos of this shed to no avail. I went there with about 10 people one night and my friend all of a sudden took off running. When I finally caught up to him he said he saw a black figure walking very choppy like. He is not the type to lie about something like this. That happened about 2 years ago and he still swears by it and won't go back.

We have not seen anything abnormal but have caught many huge orbs (I think is BS, just dust or bugs). I am still intruiged by paranormal sittings/activity though...

We lived at the Todville Mansion, back in 1984 or 1985. We are the family that moved in as caretakers. It ended up being a bigger project than we could handle. Many toilets were not working correctly, The fountians didn't work right. We my son and his friend cleaned the pool, but the pumps and filter leaked. Although it was a memorable time in our lived, it was a HUGE burden. I have a few pictures we took while we were there. I contacted Marie, the selling agent who put me in touch with the exectuor of the will. even having that place mowed was a great expence. we cleaned and painted and vacuumed. We had some great parties there. Our friends had a country band that set up and played several times...that was fun.....Memories live on...the big house is gone. It felt creepy at night if you were alone there but no ghosts...sorry