• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabaiguan tasting

classyndry

on injured reserve
I picked up three each of the Cabaiguan Robustos Extra, Cabaiguan RX, and Cabaiguan Maduro. Each is 5 ¼ x 50. I've since smoked one of each, and though I'd give a brief review.

Cabaiguan RX (Guapos)

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

I started with this one because it was the one I enjoyed the least. I had some draw issues that persisted the duration of the smoke. The flavors were pretty good, but not as interesting as the other two. The prelight aroma was good, but not nearly as good as the other two. The prelight draw was tight, but after a few puffs I picked up some grass and pepper. I had some Rioja and watched the latest national treasure movie while I smoked this one. Neither the movie nor the cigar particularly impressed me.

Cabaiguan Maduro

Wrapper: Naturally Dark USA Connecticut Broadleaf (assuming same wrapper as La Riqueza)

This was the last one I smoked, and I was worried my humidor (at about 71-72% humidity while the sticks had been stored) may have caused some problems. However, I had no burn or draw issues. The flavor was similar to the other two, but there was a cocoa component present that the other two lacked. I'd say nutty and chocolate were the two flavors that stood out. I've read that this has the same wrapper as the La Riqueza. I don't know if this is true, but if so, I'll have to give those a try at some point as well. I was told that there is less (or perhaps no) ligero in the Maduro's filler. I did have a harder time detecting flavors in this stick. Perhaps the maduro wrapper accounts for the increase in chocolate, and the removal of ligero accounts for the decrease in other flavors detected. All and all this was a very pleasant smoke. I poured some rum, and found something about Winston Churchill on PBS while I enjoyed this one.

Cabaiguan Robustos Extra

Wrapper: Connecticut Seed Shade Grown Ecuadorian

This, the original, was by far my favorite. The prelight aroma made me lick my lips. The cold taste was complex, and I couldn't really pick out any specific flavor, but it was quite pleasing. Once lit, I got some earth, leather, pepper, cream, sweet wood, and nuttiness. I even thought I got some saltiness at times. After I'd tossed the nub, I found myself smelling the band and reminiscing. I poured some Macallan and watched Charlie Palmer's war while I enjoyed this one. In retrospect, I should have keep the drinks the same for tasting purposes, but what are you gonna do? These will definitely find their way into my regular rotation.

Final thoughts:

Each was enjoyable, and I'd gladly give each another try. None were full bodied, so if you require strength this is not the cigar for you, but if your priority is flavor, I'd give any of them a shot. The maduros are a limited run (at least for now) so keep an eye out if you're interested. If anyone notices any errors in my data, please post a correction. I had some trouble creating a photo album (my mac may be to blame) but I posted the photos on another site linked below:

Thanks for the reviews. I'm in the process of doing the same rotation, except that I will be smoking the corona gordas. I'll post my thoughts as I go along.

I'll be interested to see what you think about the maduro. I thought it was pretty good, but not quite as good as the original. The original I had may have just been really on.

The original Cabaiguan is probably my Favorite smoke for a mild-med bodied cigar.

I missed out on the Maduro. :(

Did smoke a nice handful of differant Guapo sizes. Very nice smokes.

I'll be interested to see what you think about the maduro. I thought it was pretty good, but not quite as good as the original. The original I had may have just been really on.

For the price, I was not all that excited by the Cab Maddie. The smoke bordered on harsh, ostensibly due to the young age of the stick, and the flavor profile was dominated by pepper, not a favorite of mine. :(

I'm a big fan of the Guapo's, but I haven't had the opportunity to sample the rest of the line up. It sounds like, in this case, it would be prudent to stick with what I'm familiar with. Nice back to back review!

Then perhaps not. I read that on another forum I think, or maybe a review somewhere. Couldn't find any info on the tatuaje site.

I've read that this has the same wrapper as the La Riqueza
i believe La Riq is natural wrapper

I actually liked the maduro better than the original guapo and the most recent corona gorda coming in at 2nd in my book. The maduro definitely stands out to me though as a favorite.

I've tried everything by Cabaiguan, it's my favorite cigar right now. My tastes differ though. I like the Guapo the best of those three. I picked up a fiver of the Maduros and smoked one and I'm going to let the others rest. I thought it was good but I prefer the Guapo. The WCD is actually the best Cabaiguan I've had but I doubt I'll be able to get any more of those. :( I guess this line of cigars isn't for everyone but they are close to perfection for me. :thumbs:

I've read that this has the same wrapper as the La Riqueza
i believe La Riq is natural wrapper

The La Riqueza is a Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper....I don't know if I'd classify it as natural.

I was just gifted a Cab. Maddie and will definitely be putting it to the torch in the near future....especially after reading your review. Thanks.

I'll have to give the La Riqueza a try as well. I think the maduro would have been better if I hadn't paired it with as strong of a drink. When I get a chance to smoke another, I'll update the thread with my thoughts. I'll be interested to see what you think about your gift maddie.

The La Riqueza is definitely a great cigar. I enjoyed it fresh and I think with some time in the humi they will be excellent.

Just got done smoking the Cab Maduro I got from one of our resident post whores Rebel Herfer and have mixed feelings about this cigar.

It started out excellent with the same Cocoa flavors you described and that's about all I could taste. I was very excited about this as I love chocolatey/coffee flavors in a cigar. That lasted through about half the cigar and then the dominate flavor slowly turned to an odd flavor I can't quite describe with the Cocoa on the background. That flavor got stronger and stronger till it was bitter and even with a purge the bitterness didn't go away. I put it down with about an inch left.

Not sure if I just got a somewhat poorly blended cigar or if they need more time in the humi. I would definitely like to get my hands on a few more and let them sit for 6-12 months and try 'em again.

smoked a few of the guapos and have had so-so luck with them...a couple were great-actually fantastic and some were ehhh...from the same box. Hit or miss with me