• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Allrighty, over the flu and back in the saddle! That virus going around is horrible, by the way.

On to the review! I posted a picture of the nice tidy package that I got from Brent in the other thread but I don't have a camera with me tonight. Sorry about that.

On first glance this cigar has a very smooth wrapper with nearly no veins at all. This one may only be five inches long but it is a fatty (probably a 52 ring or so) and it is a heavy in the hand. A feel of this sucker reveals a hardness that could be lethal so this one would be good to keep on hand for physical combat with the non-smoking zealots.

Pre-Light draw - extremely sweet tasting. The scent of the foot is unremarkable and just smells like a good ol' cigar.

Initial light - the cap is nearly perfect and popped right off with a little coaxing from my Al Mar cigar knife. The light is easy and produces a medium level of smoke with a firm but not plugged draw. The taste is very smooth and full. So far so good.

Middle - OK, I am about an inch or so into this one and the burn is even. This fatty is not lacking in the flavor department. The flavor is not particularly or overly sweet. More of an 'in your face' earthy taste that I do tend to favor. A fascinating point for me is that a retrohale is very easy to do with this one. No burning in the nose at all and the flavors when retrohaled are far sweeter than the flavors on the palate. Another weird thing is that if the smoke is held in my mouth for longer than normal, the smoke starts to taste rather like chlorinated pool water. (Brent, I will haunt you from the grave if you have poisoned this thing!) First ash dropped at close to two inches.

Past Half - I am a little past half way on this one and the smoke is getting stronger. More taste along that earthy line and a little sting through the nose. All in all this is a pretty solid smoke with a nice flavor profile. There is certainly some nicotine kick but that might be due, in part, to my having been off of cigars during a week or so of illness. Also, the previously mentioned pool water issue has resolved and now the smoke has too much spice to be characterized that way. This thing is still hard enough to kill a storm trooper!

To the Finish - Still holding steady with good strong earthy flavors and with increasing spice. I have to admit, the more I smoke it, the more I like it. While the retrohale was the best part of the first inch or so, this has turned in to a solid smoke with good hard flavor. For those of us that can recall the days before Opus and Anejo, this reminds me of the old Chateau Fuentes that carried loads of flavors back then. A good solid honest enjoyable cigar with no real bells and whistles.

Final Thoughts - This is a good and hearty cigar. The construction was impressive with a nice straight burn throughout its length. The flavors were nothing very flashy but they were good strong and earthy. Like I said before, this is just a good honest cigar that reminds me of the old Fuente stuff that I smoked long ago. This shouldn't be a $20 cigar but it is better than most $5 smokes and, for the right price, I would probably pick up a couple of these...not a box but a couple would be good.

OK, as I head to pick up the band from my basement, I am hoping that Brent hasn't pulled some kind of evil dirty trick on me! I have not a single guess to put forward as to what this cigar might have been. No way is this an Illusione. It doesn't strike me as being anything from DPG. Fuente is possible in one of the regular lines - honestly it has been a while since I have smoked a straight Fuente.

And the cigar is..... FONSECA SERIE F Wow, so I guess this is the not so mild Fonseca. Interesting. Thanks for sending this one, Brent. Always good to try something new.

I was delayed in sending to Stardogg because of illness but shipment is en route to him so this should stay rolling.

Great Review Stu.

I smoked a lot Chateau Fuentes back then. Before Opus. I know exactly what you mean. They were great cigars.

Since i had today off from work i could think of nothing better to do than a blind cigar review ;)

So upon the visual inspection it comes up flawless! Not a vein,crack,or anything of the sort a

very well made cigar i might add. I clip the end and begin to take a few cold draws and some earthy

and leathery notes strike my taste. A very easy draw with no resistance. Now i must put it to the fire and it

begins to release some very aggressive flavors. I definately taste some spices and rich earthy notes. Very

enjoyable very flavorfull but not overwhelming. A clean draw with a perfect burn very nice too. The last third

it started to turn on for me with some stronger tastings on my palatte. I was very content with this cigar.

Now for my guess :whistling: i am thinking a pepin blended cigar in my opinion. But upon further investigation

my knowledge of cigar tastes proved me wrong :( It was a CORONADO by La Flor!!!
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

In the lower twenties when I got up this morning, however it’s warmed up nicely with clear blue sky and plenty of sun. I grabbed the mystery stick sent from Greggj77 in the blind PIF and headed out to the side of the house where I knew it would be warm. The cigar is a robusto size with a dark brown wrapper that is rather coarse with slight oil noticeable. It has a good weight, feels firm, and after punching the rough looking cap ,I find the draw has a little more resistance than I prefer, however still plenty of air flowing through with a distinct sweet raisin flavor.

With the foot torched and burning well, I take a couple quick puffs to get the smoke flowing and then a long draw. There’s a medium peppery spice on the back of the tongue and throat that is just right with the smoke a good medium in strength. I find it quite smooth and rich on the palate with tastes of sweet cocoa, wood, and a nice earthiness. The maduro wrapper is quite sweet, leaving a delicious, lasting finish.

A third in and the burn wants to lean a little to one side, however nothing major. The medium gray, mottled ash is holding strong, and after about an inch I tap it off to find a fairly large cone left. The draw tightens up at this point and its difficult to get a good amount of smoke through. I use my Palio to clip off a small amount from the head, which opens it up once again to a perfect resistance. Medium bodied spice continues to come through with the smoke still medium in strength. Flavors are quite rich and delicious, sweet cocoa and dark earth most prominent with the finish lasting.

Halfway and into the final third, the burn continues to lean slightly to one side, however the medium gray ash holds strong until tapped off. Medium strength smoke flows effortlessly through the perfect draw with the spice still there. I seem to taste a bit of coffee towards the end along with the rich, sweet cocoa and earth. The finish is lasting on the palate, simply delicious!

I thinking this is a non-Cuban cigar, possibly Nicaraguan. I’m going to guess a Padron 2000 Maduro. Now to go check what’s in the envelope! :whistling:

01-03-2010Gregj77BlindPif001.jpg

01-03-2010Gregj77BlindPif002.jpg

01-03-2010Gregj77BlindPif003.jpg

Well now, very interesting! The cigar turns out to be a Montecristo! Although, I’m not 100% sure which, Media Noche perhaps? Many thanks Gregg as this was an excellent smoke and one that I don’t believe I’ve tried.

DSC05558.jpg

I believe that label is the Media Noche from Montecristo, Greg. I started my series of box purchases with one of those, the torpedo version, and I've had a soft spot for these ever since. I don't smoke them as often, in fact, I still have a handful. The box it comes in is very nice, all glassy with a nice latch on it.

Did you notice it had a distinct barnyard smell (or for lack of better words, an ass-like smell)
laugh.gif
I'm glad it doesn't taste like ass.........................although........................

I've just gone back through this thread a few months and it seems there's a few that have not posted up reviews of the blind stick received. The rules state to follow the timelines the best you can, and it's understandable if life happens and you're just not able to get it done, however if you're running late, at least post the reason why and that you plan to do it.

PIFThreadInfo.jpg

I've just gone back through this thread a few months and it seems there's a few that have not posted up reviews of the blind stick received. The rules state to follow the timelines the best you can, and it's understandable if life happens and you're just not able to get it done, however if you're running late, at least post the reason why and that you plan to do it.

PIFThreadInfo.jpg

You can add Fishin345 to the list. Back in May 2009. Fear of reviews must run in the family. ;)

Linky

P.S. Even Spivy did his review when it was his turn. :rolleyes:

PIFThreadInfo.jpg

You can add Fishin345 to the list. Back in May 2009. Fear of reviews must run in the family. ;)

Linky

P.S. Even Spivy did his review when it was his turn. :rolleyes:

Given the aggravation that can ensue when the recipient fails to do their part, posting a reason for the delay is a minimal courtesy to expect. I would hope we can get these made right and proceed forward with everyone on the same page about expectations.

Here is a review of the stick that STARDOGG aka Jay was so kind to send me.

Here is a pic of the before.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/greggj77/IMG_6242.jpg

Appearance / Construction: size was approx 5x52

The wrapper is a medium brown color fairly smooth no large or protruding veins. The cigar appears to be well constructed with a little spongy feel. The endcap would indicate a domestic rather than import. The aroma of the cigar showed signs of hay but, overall was fairly light.

After this initial review. I headed off to the B&M to light this bad boy up it is frigid here so no outside smoking in 18* weather for me.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/greggj77/IMG_6243.jpg

FYI, I did not bring the digital SLR camera to the B&M I would never hear the end of it when it came back smelling like smoke.

The Good Stuff: First 3rd:
Cut was easy and again indicitive of good costruction. The pre-light draw was excellent again hay with a little pepper. The first puff produced smoke that was thick and plentiful and immediately kicked in some spiciness. The cigar is burning well and producing lots of smoke.

Half Time: 2nd 3rd:
Initial thoughts still hold true but, the burn has been somewhat inconsistant needing to be touched up from time to time, the cigar also seems to be getting a little more spongy as the leaves inside heat up. Smoke again is very thick and pleasant and definitely peppery / spicy. Original hay taste has supsided and now it is producing a nice mellow peppery / natural tobacco taste

Home Stretch: Final 3rd

Burn has been somewhat inconsistant, needing a few more touch ups. Smoke is still the tobacco taste with some pepper on the back end. Overall, Not too complex but very good. Having been sick and not having a stick in about 2 weeks this is starting to give me a little head rush not too overpowering or un pleasant though. :D

Overall:

Very good / enjoyable cigar. Not my all time favorite but a very enjoyable smoke none the less. As I mentioned, the cigar was a little loose and had some burn issues. However the wrapper held tight and did not unravel. The draw was consistent and effortless from the beginning to the end. Flavors were good natural and spicey. Smoke was thick and gave all that you would want. Overall I would give this cigar an 8.5 out of 10

Guesses: I would say that it may be an Illusion 88 or maybe a Tat.

Went home to open the letter and......

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/greggj77/IMG_6245.jpg

To my surprise it was and Opus X Robusto. Thinkig back I probably should have guessed this with the pepper anyhow very enjoyable smoke non-the-less.

Thanks for the Opus Jay, it was fun to do the review. :thumbs:

PIFThreadInfo.jpg

May as well forget about Gahau. He tried to grab as much stuff here as he could, and disappeared when he got called on it.

Here is a review of the stick that STARDOGG aka Jay was so kind to send me.

Here is a pic of the before.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/greggj77/IMG_6242.jpg

Appearance / Construction: size was approx 5x52

The wrapper is a medium brown color fairly smooth no large or protruding veins. The cigar appears to be well constructed with a little spongy feel. The endcap would indicate a domestic rather than import. The aroma of the cigar showed signs of hay but, overall was fairly light.

After this initial review. I headed off to the B&M to light this bad boy up it is frigid here so no outside smoking in 18* weather for me.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/greggj77/IMG_6243.jpg

FYI, I did not bring the digital SLR camera to the B&M I would never hear the end of it when it came back smelling like smoke.

The Good Stuff: First 3rd:
Cut was easy and again indicitive of good costruction. The pre-light draw was excellent again hay with a little pepper. The first puff produced smoke that was thick and plentiful and immediately kicked in some spiciness. The cigar is burning well and producing lots of smoke.

Half Time: 2nd 3rd:
Initial thoughts still hold true but, the burn has been somewhat inconsistant needing to be touched up from time to time, the cigar also seems to be getting a little more spongy as the leaves inside heat up. Smoke again is very thick and pleasant and definitely peppery / spicy. Original hay taste has supsided and now it is producing a nice mellow peppery / natural tobacco taste

Home Stretch: Final 3rd

Burn has been somewhat inconsistant, needing a few more touch ups. Smoke is still the tobacco taste with some pepper on the back end. Overall, Not too complex but very good. Having been sick and not having a stick in about 2 weeks this is starting to give me a little head rush not too overpowering or un pleasant though. :D

Overall:

Very good / enjoyable cigar. Not my all time favorite but a very enjoyable smoke none the less. As I mentioned, the cigar was a little loose and had some burn issues. However the wrapper held tight and did not unravel. The draw was consistent and effortless from the beginning to the end. Flavors were good natural and spicey. Smoke was thick and gave all that you would want. Overall I would give this cigar an 8.5 out of 10

Guesses: I would say that it may be an Illusion 88 or maybe a Tat.

Went home to open the letter and......

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/greggj77/IMG_6245.jpg

To my surprise it was and Opus X Robusto. Thinkig back I probably should have guessed this with the pepper anyhow very enjoyable smoke non-the-less.

Thanks for the Opus Jay, it was fun to do the review. :thumbs:

Nice review and very interesting you would think an Opus was an Illusione. I remember when I smoked my first Illusione, which was a 68 that I received from Jondot in the MAWPIF, the closest thing I could think to compare it to was in fact an Opus. I think it's because both lines share the characteristics of being sweet and spicy.

[/quote]

Nice review and very interesting you would think an Opus was an Illusione. I remember when I smoked my first Illusione, which was a 68 that I received from Jondot in the MAWPIF, the closest thing I could think to compare it to was in fact an Opus. I think it's because both lines share the characteristics of being sweet and spicy.
[/quote]

Thanks, I agreee. I had an Illusione 68 a bout a month or so ago and my recollection was that it was similar in profile to what I was smoking when doing the blind review. I had not had an Opus in about 3-4mos so that might have been farhte rback in my memory. I do agree though that the illusione and opus lines do share some characteristics.

Fun review though i found it interesting to see how the sicks perform without the marketing / reputation affecting your senses.

PIFThreadInfo.jpg

I am running late on my review, and I do apologize. I will be posting one within a week.

Here's modo22's review from Gahau. He put it in it's own thread.

Received cigars from gahau during a recent PIF pass. So the blind review starts: (sorry for the crap pics, my camera is not worth the time right now)

First off, the cigar is very oily. Has a good aroma. First few puffs during lighting is smooth; not harsh in any way. First third of cigar had smooth draw with a nice tobacco taste and a hint of leathery notes. This box pressed maduro robusto size cigar is smoking slow and smooth. As I approach the half way, it has no harsh build up. With the half way point reached, getting a little peppery spice added to the tobacco mix. Still very smooth and enjoyable. Finishing the final 2/3rds the taste on the pallet began to lengthen. A very warm woodsy and great aroma is finishing off this great PIF blind review...soon I shall open to reveile what I will be buying more of. At this point I can only compare it to a Padron, much like a 40th anny, but no where near as strong. I may be way off though.

So I was close...1926 #9. Thanks gahau! great cigar, I can see why it is your favorite!

IMG00423.jpg

IMG00424.jpg

IMG00425.jpg

mario.jpg

Greg sent me this mystery stick in my latest participation on the Blind PIF pass. I decided on smoking this while on my lunch break the other day. Just by looking at it I knew it was ISOM maybe a No. 4. I punched the cap and took a draw. The draw was extremely tight, which made me to believe that this for sure had some age on it. I was hanging out in my truck on Jerome & Elliot Place. Back in the days, Elliot Place had the best weed in the Bronx :thumbs:

As soon as the stick was lit, an aroma of burning almonds filled up the truck. It was real smooth and had a pleasant aroma. This is the end of my review. Really. After the first initial draws of this incredible cigar, I kicked my feet up, turned off my phone and shut off my truck's CB. This was one of those smokes that you truly did not want to be disturbed. I don't know whether reminiscing on the days of smoking some trees from Elliot Place did me in but I was really in the zone. Some cigars have this "sweet spot" of when the smoking experience reaches its apex; this cigar on the other hand, its entirety was a sweet spot. I didn't want to think about work, about what flavors I tasted in this cigar, what I was going to cook for dinner, nothing. So forgive me on not really reviewing this smoke. I blame Greg and you should too.

Needless to say, I smoked it to the fingers and spent the last portion of my work route thinking about what I just smoked. All I remembered it being was a smooth medium bodied smoke...definitely aged. Also on my mind was that the sender was Greg and he always has some tricks up his sleeves. I remember him giving out a few Charlottes but Partagas aren't that medium bodied or do they become medium bodied after some age? I just gave up and guessed a Quay D'Orsay. Wrong.

review.jpg

Greg sent me this mystery stick in my latest participation on the Blind PIF pass. I decided on smoking this while on my lunch break the other day. Just by looking at it I knew it was ISOM maybe a No. 4. I punched the cap and took a draw. The draw was extremely tight, which made me to believe that this for sure had some age on it. I was hanging out in my truck on Jerome & Elliot Place. Back in the days, Elliot Place had the best weed in the Bronx :thumbs:

As soon as the stick was lit, an aroma of burning almonds filled up the truck. It was real smooth and had a pleasant aroma. This is the end of my review. Really. After the first initial draws of this incredible cigar, I kicked my feet up, turned off my phone and shut off my truck's CB. This was one of those smokes that you truly did not want to be disturbed. I don't know whether reminiscing on the days of smoking some trees from Elliot Place did me in but I was really in the zone. Some cigars have this "sweet spot" of when the smoking experience reaches its apex; this cigar on the other hand, its entirety was a sweet spot. I didn't want to think about work, about what flavors I tasted in this cigar, what I was going to cook for dinner, nothing. So forgive me on not really reviewing this smoke. I blame Greg and you should too.

Needless to say, I smoked it to the fingers and spent the last portion of my work route thinking about what I just smoked. All I remembered it being was a smooth medium bodied smoke...definitely aged. Also on my mind was that the sender was Greg and he always has some tricks up his sleeves. I remember him giving out a few Charlottes but Partagas aren't that medium bodied or do they become medium bodied after some age? I just gave up and guessed a Quay D'Orsay. Wrong.

review.jpg
yo Los you're nuts but I know what you mean about a good cigar that makes you relax :thumbs: :cool:

Wow Nasty, that is the sort of cigar moments I live for! From your Description, I wonder if it was a Por Larranaga.
Enoyable read, and I especially like your photo layout. Very cool! :thumbs: