• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Homemade active humidifier?

Hey guys! I am in the process of building my 2nd cabinet humidor...as the first one is now officially....very very full!!!

I have a cigar oasis xl plus in my cabinet now ( 14w x 14d x 60h ) and it works wonders, no complains whatsoever...

My new cabinet is a little bigger (36w x 15d x 84h) and the little oasis will not be enough. Now it might be me, but isn't a cigar oasis a good quality hygrostat, water container and circulation fan? Has anyone of you ever built himself an homemade active humidification device? That is what I am planning to do,and want to know if you had some tips for me...

Thanks alot,

gianni

WOW, it must be some kind of record to have 203 views without a single answer.....At least it means that people are interested in the subject I guess...

Ok...then I will keep on investigating and trying to build one myself and post any update on that matter....

If anyone has any idea please share

I have a few ideas but it would require that you know your way around ANSI C and a circuit board. I believe an ideal device to use to control everything would be one of Cypress's PSoC's (Programmable System on a Chip). PM me if you want more details.

...it's possible to build your own, but I'll bet you won't come out any less expensive than if you'd have bought a tested, proven solution from Avallo. Here's a link.

While I'm a "DIY" guy by nature, the Avallo solutions are pretty cool and offer a solid system to take care of your smokes.

Regards - B.B.S.

I made one. I'll see if I still have pix of it somewhere.

All I did was get a plastic pasta container, an exacto knife and an 80mm fan. I wired the fan to an old dc plug from a phone I wasn't using anymore for the power supply.

I ordered 5# of waterkeep conditioned silica for the humidification media.

I plugged it into a regular light timer with the push timers to go off for 20 minutes every 6 hours.

Worked great! The best thing though was the price. I think I had about $25 dollars in the whole thing. Most of the parts I had lying around the house anyway. I could have hot glued some veneer onto the whole thing to make it pretty, but didn't.