• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Esencia Corona Gorda

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Mid November and it’s 62F on the back porch this morning, supposed to be up close to 80F today. Loving this weather! My wife has put a portable radio on the porch (says it keeps the possums away :laugh: ) and they’re playing Christmas music. Trippin! I did some humi cleaning yesterday and came across an Esencia CG that I had labeled 08/2009 from Charles (CRQuarto), completely forgot it was in there (Frosty The Snowman is playing on the radio now…cool). I’ve heard some good things about these cigars and have been wanting to try one, so it was a very nice surprise to find it.

I really like the looks of this cigar with very oily, milk chocolate brown wrapper that has one prominent vein running the length. It has a good weight in the hand, firm when squeezed, and after punching the cap I find a perfect draw with a good tobacco taste.

With fire to the foot, the cigar lights easily and plumes of smoke is in the air leaving a wonderful aroma in the nose. After several puffs, I take a good draw and am greeted with a very full strength smoke with a perfect spice on the throat. I find it leaves an oiliness on the palate with a richness coming through in the flavors, that of dark brown sugar, worn leather, earth, and cocoa with a touch of cinnamon. The finish is lasting and delicious.

The burn is sharp for the first quarter inch with a dark gray ash forming, however shortly after it goes downhill quickly with a serious run down one side. I get some serious tunneling and a good inch or so is wasted puffing over and over trying to get the smoke going. After ashing at about an inch and a half in, I do some touching up and continue on. I still have slight burn issues, however am able to get enough smoke through that is full in strength and body with flavors continuing to be delicious with a rich finish lasting well after exhaling.

Halfway through and the burn is still running down one side, and I once again do a touch-up. It finally goes back to burning perfectly heading into the final third with an excellent draw producing smoke that has strength, body, and flavors as previously described, rich and delicious. There’s a strong spice coming through hitting my palate perfectly with an incredibly good finish that is lasting. I exhale slowly through the mouth and nose, savoring the flavors.

Although there were burn issues for the most part, I still very much enjoyed the delicious, rich smoke that came through. It was a perfect fit for my palate as I prefer a full strength/body, and this cigar was definitely that with a spot on spice and lasting finish. Thoroughly enjoyable smoke! Thanks Charles for sending!

11-15-09EsenciaCG001.jpg

11-15-09EsenciaCG002.jpg

DSC03311.jpg

DSC03313.jpg

11-15-09EsenciaCG003.jpg

One of my very favorite cigars! I've never had any serious burn issues with one, but . . . well, they are a handmade organic product, after all.

Like you, though, I find them a "perfect fit for my palate." Full, rich, strong smokes.

~Boar

Glad you liked that smoke Greg. One of the things I have found with Esencia is that some down time does them well. When they first came out I bought a couple boxes of the PC. I smoked a few and honestly found them to be average to slightly above average in taste. I let the boxes rest and now they have close to a yr on them. I recently revisited the PC box and found some amazing smokes. The taste has changed so dramatically for the better.
When I last talked to Marc (Esencia/Palio) he mentioned something new for the holidays, but that was earlier this year and I haven't seen anything so far.

So my bottomline is that these are a great smoke for their price-point and IMHO are well worth it.

Art

Hey Marc if your reading this, Where's the new smoke and when are we going to see you around again???

Glad you liked that smoke Greg. One of the things I have found with Esencia is that some down time does them well. When they first came out I bought a couple boxes of the PC. I smoked a few and honestly found them to be average to slightly above average in taste. I let the boxes rest and now they have close to a yr on them. I recently revisited the PC box and found some amazing smokes. The taste has changed so dramatically for the better.
When I last talked to Marc (Esencia/Palio) he mentioned something new for the holidays, but that was earlier this year and I haven't seen anything so far.

So my bottomline is that these are a great smoke for their price-point and IMHO are well worth it.

Art

Hey Marc if your reading this, Where's the new smoke and when are we going to see you around again???

Thanks Art! I'm on the hunt now! :D

Greg, you're slipping on your reviews. No bug or animal photos? :0

Glad you enjoyed the smoke bud! :) Shant and I love these cigars, and getting a box is certainly something I intend to do. Sorry about the burn issues, hopefully the belicoso that I put in the pass is better. :D