• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente 858 Sun Grown OR 2000

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I woke up this morning to crimson orange sunlight shining through the window blinds, a beautiful sight. Was in the twenties, so no way going out to have a smoke with coffee, so played online for a bit, then got ready and made a few errands around town. Had a nice lunch of hot wings and blue cheese, took down the Christmas tree and decorations, put them up in the attic, and am now sitting outside putting fire to this 858 SG original release, very relaxed in the fifty degree temperature.

The cello has a good bit of yellow tint to it as I pull the cigar out. It has a medium brown wrapper with a couple of prominent veins and a nice oily sheen when held in the sunlight. Squeezing the cigar, it feels quite firm yet with a couple of soft spots around the band. There’s a good weight in the hand, and with the cap punched I find a perfect draw with taste of straightforward, matured tobacco.

Putting fire to the foot, I blow on the embers to get them nice and even, the aroma of the forming smoke smells wonderful. After a couple quick puffs, I take a long, slow draw and get a rather mild smoke with no spice detectable. Flavors are absolutely incredible right from the start, rich and delicious with a lasting finish that is lip smacking good. It’s a creamy smoke, silky smooth with a very matured tobacco taste. I have to exhale slowly through the mouth and nose, savoring the richness of light wood, sweet toasted nuts, and what seems to be a hint of dark cocoa. Fantastic!

The burn is sharp with a dark gray compact ash forming that holds strong. Mild strength smoke flows well through the perfect draw until about an inch in where it immediately tightens. I’ve had cigars get tighter while smoking before, however not this fast. I tap off the ash, clip off a little of the head, and the draw opens up perfectly allowing an abundance of the delicious smoke to flow effortlessly through. I can’t get over how rich and creamy smooth the smoke is, the flavors left on the palate after exhaling are fantastic.

Halfway and the temperature has dropped five degrees, now right at forty-five. My fingers are ice cold as I try to type, but type I must! The cigar is performing perfectly with sharp burn continuing and a compact, dark gray ash forming. A bit of spice starts to appear with the smoke transitioning from quite mild to almost a medium strength with the flavors continuing to be rich and creamy, the finish long on the palate. This is one good cigar!

Heading into the final third, spice tingles the nostrils as I exhale slowly through the nose. The strength seems to build ever so slightly more to a good medium strength and hitting the palate perfectly. I can’t say enough about the rich flavors of this smoke, toasted nut and a sweet vanilla most prominent. The finish is silky smooth and very lasting. I finished up this cigar and was sad to see it end as it was simply fantastic. Now to get back in and thaw out!!

DSC05481.jpg

01-02-2010AF858SGOR001.jpg

01-02-2010AF858SGOR002.jpg

01-02-2010AF858SGOR003.jpg

Are you sure you didn't taste any granola smoothie?

I smoked one of these recently, and my honest thought was that it had been down for to long. It had nothing really left to it. It was an okay cigar, but I guess considering the hype and the build up I had in my head it underwhelmed. Glad you enjoyed yours Greg.

I smoked one of these recently, and my honest thought was that it had been down for to long. It had nothing really left to it. It was an okay cigar, but I guess considering the hype and the build up I had in my head it underwhelmed. Glad you enjoyed yours Greg.

I have one from 2000 that I haven't smoked yet but I have a box from '02 and a box from '07 and the '07s are just as good if not better than the '02s...You are right, they lose their kick with age.

I have one from 2000 that I haven't smoked yet but I have a box from '02 and a box from '07 and the '07s are just as good if not better than the '02s...You are right, they lose their kick with age.

I'm pretty sure the 02's and the 07's were all rolled at the same time.

I heard that too but they do taste different from my experience.

That's what I thought too. Perhaps because this cigar was an OR like Dulaney's was supposed to be.

I'm glad guys like you can pick up things in regards to flavor versus strength versus youth versus age. It would have gone right over my head if I smoked something that old
laugh.gif
Great review of a cigar someone took very good care of.

I was wondering what you are lighting your cigars with now, last I heard your torch insert in your Zippo was going kaput.

I'm glad guys like you can pick up things in regards to flavor versus strength versus youth versus age. It would have gone right over my head if I smoked something that old
laugh.gif
Great review of a cigar someone took very good care of.

I was wondering what you are lighting your cigars with now, last I heard your torch insert in your Zippo was going kaput.

The Z-Plus is still kickin', however the valve doesn't shut off immediately after letting go the button. I think a lot of it has to do with it being in the twenty/thirty degree temperatures. I probably need to go ahead and get another insert ordered.

Yep, I will 'third' this. I have 4 from 2002, and I would trade them for 04 - 07s. Straight up.

I should add, they are in no way 'bad'. The flavors are very good, but something is missing for me.

Nice review Greg and funny you should be doing this one now. I was just gifted one of these along with a few other goodies a couple of days ago. Haven't smoked it yet but the Sungrowns are the only 858's that have ever done anything for me, though I haven't smoked any of the new Rosado's I have yet. Lookin' forward to see how the OR Sungrown compares to some of the more recent ones I've had.

These have never done all that much for me. I much prefer the Cuban Beli SG, especially with 2-3 years of humi time.

Stellar review as always, Greg.

I heard that too but they do taste different from my experience.
Ah, gotcha!

I had a few boxes of this cigar in 2001 at xmas.
Lots of guys swear by this cigar. Its smooth, but much to mild for me.
I am always lookin for the deeper flavor. Morning coffee smoke if at all for me.
And i am a Fuente lover.