• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Miami Campana Chica Torpedo

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Many thanks to Stu (Punklawyer) for sending this to me in a PIF, a cigar I’ve been wanting to try for some time. The wrapper is a medium to golden brown with noticeable oil, slight tooth throughout, and one prominent vein running the length. It has a solid weight in the hand, a slight give when squeezed, and quite loose bunching in the foot. After clipping a bit off the sharply tapered head, I find a perfect draw with taste of good, straightforward tobacco.

I toast the foot with my new S.T. Dupont Xtend lighter, which I’m really liking btw, and get a really nice aroma from the forming smoke. After a couple puffs, I take a long draw and find a mild spiciness on the back of the tongue and throat with the smoke itself on the mild side as well. Flavors are really good, that of a coffee toffee taste, sweet and creamy feeling over the palate with a nice woody, toasted nut in the finish.

A third in and the burn is sharp with a light gray ash forming that has somewhat compact layers. It holds strong until tapped off revealing a very slight coning in the almost white ash. I’m still finding the smoke a bit on the mild side and flowing well through the perfect draw with flavors becoming more of a straightforward tobacco taste the further in I go. There’s a mild spice still there and a decent, clean finish left on the palate after slowly exhaling through the mouth and nose.

Halfway and into the final third, the flavors of the mild to almost medium strength smoke are still that of a straightforward tobacco, not a bad smoke at all, however there’s not a lot of richness in it. The body is smooth and creamy, feeling a bit heavy on the palate with a decent finish that seems a bit short after exhaling. This was an interesting smoke, I think the best part of it being in the first third Thanks again Stu for the opportunity to sample this cigar!

02-20-10LGCArtesanos001.jpg

02-20-10LGCArtesanos003.jpg

02-20-10LGCArtesanos002.jpg

Is this a CC Greg? The band looks more vintage than the LGC that I bought uptown.

Is this a CC Greg? The band looks more vintage than the LGC that I bought uptown.

Non-Cuban, Nicaraguan/Dominican. I was looking closely at the band today and was thinking the same thing, looked like it had a lot of time on it.

Thanks for the review, Greg.

Are you familiar with the profiles from the other LgC lines. And if so, would you say this share some characteristics?

I find a lot of them share the same flavors. Hell, the new E.P. Carillo seems to be reminiscent of the original and R serie as well.

I once smoked a Corona Gorda from the Original line that was very rich and tasty. The kind you never forget. Have tried to re-live that several times, to no avail.

This is one that I haven't been able to get into my humidor.

Non-Cuban, Nicaraguan/Dominican. I was looking closely at the band today and was thinking the same thing, looked like it had a lot of time on it.

Nice review, Greg. I fully agree that this is an interesting smoke. A rather unique mix of tastes.

LGC dressed up the band to reflect that this was NOT of their regular line. The Artesanos de Miami were created as a sort of pet project by Ernesto Perez Carillo before he left General Cigar. I know that they were a small release but I am not exactly sure how many were made. From my understanding, these cigars were rolled in Miami...thus the name. ;)

Thanks for the review, Greg.

Are you familiar with the profiles from the other LgC lines. And if so, would you say this share some characteristics?

I find a lot of them share the same flavors. Hell, the new E.P. Carillo seems to be reminiscent of the original and R serie as well.

I once smoked a Corona Gorda from the Original line that was very rich and tasty. The kind you never forget. Have tried to re-live that several times, to no avail.

This is one that I haven't been able to get into my humidor.

If I'm not mistaken, this is one of if not the only NC LGC I've smoked. I think I may have smoked a Serie R back when I first started smoking, but really can't remember.

Interesting looking smoke, the band had me wondering as well. Another great review Greg, and Stu you seem to know how to pick them! ;)

Greg, I noticed in one of the last photos, that the wrapper was starting to crack. Did you have any problems with this anywhere else
along the way? The reason I ask is I burned a Serie R on Monday that had a very nice rest in the humi, and about an inch into the smoke
it started to come apart. This Serie R was about 7 or 8 inches in length and ring gauge was about the size of my favorite Louisville
Slugger I had as a kid. Just wondering if this is common on the La Gloria Cubana's or not. This is the first one I have had. Thanks for
the review and your time, still trying to learn.
Todd

Greg, I noticed in one of the last photos, that the wrapper was starting to crack. Did you have any problems with this anywhere else
along the way? The reason I ask is I burned a Serie R on Monday that had a very nice rest in the humi, and about an inch into the smoke
it started to come apart. This Serie R was about 7 or 8 inches in length and ring gauge was about the size of my favorite Louisville
Slugger I had as a kid. Just wondering if this is common on the La Gloria Cubana's or not. This is the first one I have had. Thanks for
the review and your time, still trying to learn.
Todd

Actually, no problems at all. That was where my finger caught the edge of the wrapper and cracked it.