• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Angel's Share

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Jonas sent me this bottle a looooooong time ago. To our best recollection, it was a Fall ’07 release, but neither of us is completely sure of it. After a little inadvertent research, it appears this was actually a bottle from ’06. Regardless of the exact year, this was a trip down memory lane to the days when Lost Abbey was amazing, prior to their quality control going to complete shit. Thanks again Jonas!

Way down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers age their whiskeys for many years in oak barrels. Over time, some whiskey is lost to evaporation. They refer to this loss of spirits as “The Angel’s Share”. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of this liquid seeps into the oak and is lost forever.

Our Angel’s Share is a barrel aged burgundy colored ale infused with copious amounts of dark caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied oak barrels. Each batch spends no less than 6 months aging in the oak. As with all of our beers, this beer if brewed for sinners and saints alike. So be an angel and share it with a friend or two.

–bottle label​

angelsshare.jpg

Style – American Strong Ale
ABV – 12.5%
Brewed In – San Marcos, CA
Availability – Rotating

Score – 8.6/10

Appearance
The beautiful 375mL presentation is corked and caged with a very elegant label. My anxiety is quelled from the moment I pop the cork to an audible “pop”. Even though I know the lack of carbonation is only a signature of recent Lost Abbey releases, I still breath a sigh of relief as the little cloud of co2 escapes. It pours jet black into the snifter, with a one finger beige head that sticks around for a couple minutes.

Smell
Fusels blended with bourbon dominate the aroma and are somewhat difficult to distinguish from one another. There are hints of oak and caramel, along with a touch of roasted malts.

Taste
Oak and vanilla flavors transition into caramel as it moves across my tongue. The finish has a slight burn along with bourbon and roasted malts. All of the flavors meld together nicely, nothing overpowering anything else. The yeast character is completely clean, with not real presence at all and is amazingly smooth for a 12.5% beer.

Feel
The body of this beer is as close to perfect for the style as I’ve had, leaving a nice coating on my tongue while not being too heavy or thick. The carbonation is dead on, giving off just a slight prickle that finishes incredibly smooth.

Overall
It’s really too bad that Lost Abbey’s bottling/sanitation practices have become such a problem, because this beer is a testament to how great of a beer they can produce when on. After 3+ years in the bottle it still has some life left in it, but it’s drinking incredibly right now. Thanks again Jonas!

Its nice to see a nice head and carbonation from a Lost Abbey beer!

Nice review! I especially like the snifter. I've been trying to find a few myself...

Nice review, Justin. I haven't had one of these in a long time and was wondering how they were holding up. :thumbs: