• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Black Jar Release (3rd review)

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s a beautiful day with plenty of sunshine; however the wind is rather blustery and cold. On the back porch though, the temperature gauge is reading right at 65F, so not too bad as long as I stay on here. Being almost a year since my last Tat Black, I decided today was a good day to re-visit one. The cigar is a bit rough looking with a blotchy medium brown wrapper that has noticeable oil and one prominent vein running the length. It’s a bit spongy as I squeeze it, however has a good weight in the hand, and after punching the cap I find a perfect draw with a straightforward tobacco taste coming through.

I toast the wrapper covered foot and the cigar comes to life with tons of smoke pouring from the burning tobacco. After a couple quick puffs, I take a long draw and get a perfect medium strength spice that is actually very smooth on the back of the tongue and throat. The strength is almost full right from the start with the body following suit, feeling somewhat thick on the palate. Flavors are incredibly rich with an earthy taste that has a rather sweet undertone. Vanilla, toasted nut, and a dark berry fruit are in there as well with a fantastic, lasting finish.

Through the first third and into the halfway mark, the burn is razor sharp with a somewhat flaky, light gray ash forming that holds well until tapped off in the ashtray. An abundance of full strength smoke is flowing effortlessly through the perfect draw with an incredibly smooth texture over the tongue. I can’t say enough about how rich and delicious the flavors are, seemingly complex with a depth that I’m thoroughly enjoying with every slow exhale, leaving a finish that is lasting.

The final third arrived too soon as I have been thoroughly enjoying this cigar. The burn remained sharp to the end with a perfect spice continuing to tingle the nostrils as I exhale slowly through the mouth and nose. Flavors are as previously described, rich and delicious with a lasting finish left on the palate. These are without a doubt some of the best Tats I’ve smoked, would sure be nice to have a jar or two sitting in the humi.

02-26-10TatBlackJar003.jpg

02-26-10TatBlackJar001.jpg

02-26-10TatBlackJar002.jpg

Sadly, there is no comparing these to the new Tubo release. These are what a Tat Black is about.
:) :) :)

Art

Man, Greg, you have my mouth watering. These are amazing smokes, absolutely amazing. I still have a three pack of the Robustos waiting in my humidor for when my brother finally gets accepted into the Marines. I really hope that he releases this size again some day.

"THE" Tat Black..... so true about the Jar release being top class in the Tatuaje line. Thanks for the great review and pics Greg!

I finally opened my Jar this past weekend and had one. Wow! Just as amazing as you described, perfect burn and powerful flavour.

Nice review Greg!
I just smoked one of these this morning with Keystone_Raider and Cigarstone. By far way better than the recent Tubos release. I love these things.

The jar release actually is not the original release. Pete released about 500 foil wrapped bundles of 24 of these in November of 2007. I think these are even better than the jar release the following year for some reason.

Thanks for another great review. I just wish the tubos were smoking as well as the ORs.