• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any active Ham Radio operators out there? (Active only)

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I've talked to a couple of CP members on the air, however curious how many active hams we have?  Seems the hobby has been booming as of recent. 

Rod - KE6MGB

Little late, eh? KH6SU. I haven't been active since about 1995 and I'm toying with getting a 2M rig for my truck. What's good? I refuse to buy any of those Chinese crap rigs.

I was on D-STAR a few minutes ago. Trying to work some satellites when I have the time, but that is somewhat rare.

Steve - W5IEM

I haven't set anything up at the house yet. I don't have any time to sit and browse the nets.

Long, long time ago, I was WB5LAS. I ordered one of those POS bow-funk HTs. If I'm inclined after that, I'll invest in a real rig.

Bruce,

Check out the Yaesu FT-60. One of the best 2m/440 radios ever made, and only $160 (or less).

It's time for a cigar net....

NullSmurf said:
Long, long time ago, I was WB5LAS. I ordered one of those POS bow-funk HTs. If I'm inclined after that, I'll invest in a real rig.

Bruce - when you get your radio, you'll find (as I did) that the user interface is pretty much unusable.  What makes these little radios well worth the $40.00 they cost is CHIRP - open source radio programming software.  I use it with my Baofeng, and it's the bomb:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Can't recommend it enough, it works fantastically.  Give it a go, I think you'll be glad you did.

73's - NY7D

Hey Tom - are you back on the air?

A little....playing with my Baofeng and hitting the local repeaters.  No huge contest station ops....yet.... :cool:

Find an IRLP enabled repeater, and let's link up over the air. 

Jeeze fock. I'm gonna have to learn it all over again. The didn't modify Morse, did they?

No, they got rid of it.

Worst thing the FCC did IMO.