• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What to do now

MRCCAT

Last night was not good. I found out that the crap Boveda packs I was using were not properly humidifying my humidor OR I hadn’t appropriately seasoned the humidor and now that thing is dry. Regardless, many of my cigars were sucked dry by the humi. My question is how (or if) I can restore the cigars? Second, what’s an appropriate period of time to season a humidor?

Like I responded to your thread yesterday. The information is in the threads on how to set up a humidor, testing your hygro and how to set up a temporary tupperdor while you season your humidor. Remember look for Bill Clinton and his threads and he will be your personal guru on humidor set up. :thumbs:

Once dried, its pretty conclusive. You can try to rehydrate, but they won't be as good as they were. Take the hit and move on.

To bring the sticks back(if you can)their humidity must be raised very slowly.Get an electronic humidifier that is adjustable & start at the bottom & slowly bring the humidity up a couple of points at a time.This could take several months depending on how many cigars you have.Seasoning is also a slow process to do it right IMO.I usually take at least 2 weeks when I season a new Humi to make sure everything has stabilized before I put any smokes in it.I'm sure there are more knowledgable people than I on here that will chime in with advice,but this is how I would do it.Next time keep a better watch on the Hygrometer to keep it from happening again.

To bring the sticks back(if you can)their humidity must be raised very slowly.Get an electronic humidifier that is adjustable & start at the bottom & slowly bring the humidity up a couple of points at a time.This could take several months depending on how many cigars you have.Seasoning is also a slow process to do it right IMO.I usually take at least 2 weeks when I season a new Humi to make sure everything has stabilized before I put any smokes in it.I'm sure there are more knowledgable people than I on here that will chime in with advice,but this is how I would do it.Next time keep a better watch on the Hygrometer to keep it from happening again.
You cannot, IMO, bring back a dead cigar, no matter how many months you take. Sure, it may become smokable again but never as it was to begin with.

Brian

You cannot, IMO, bring back a dead cigar, no matter how many months you take. Sure, it may become smokable again but never as it was to begin with.

Brian
Agreed. It never quite makes it back to 100% Could be 20%. Could be 90%. But 100% is pretty much a lost cause.

Wilkey

Once the naturals oils in the tobacco have gone from a viscous state to solid it is nealry impossible to rehydrate, and hence the oils will never quite get back all of their nuances and flavors as they held whilst burning in the natural/original state.....the chemical reaction resposible for this phenomenom is known as......................

:p

Ohhh my god what the hell just happened? I think I was channeling the spirit of Prof. Wilkey..................... :sign: