• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Frozen cigars

SewerRanger

So UPS decided to deliver some cigars to me today. Since I'm gainfully employed, I was not home at 09:00 when they were delivered. UPS, decided to just leave them on my back steps. Not normally a problem, except it's currently around 18 degrees in Baltimore. My cigars are now frozen solid. How does one go about defrosting a cigar? Are they still good? I put them back outside in the cold until I get some advice on how to proceed.

There fine.
Just put them in your humidor for a while (a week or so).
no worries.

Look at it this way at least you don't have to worry about beetles now. Just put them in the humi for a couple of weeks like the cave diver said and they will be fine.

If you thinkk about it, freezing of vegetation (like a tobacco leaf) is only damaging if the vegetation is alive.
Since the tobacco leaf has been picked and cured, freezing is actually a preservative.

Some folks actually put sticks they receive in the freezer before placing them in their humi to kill any beetles like In2xshp said.

Cparker

Well at least you know you won't have beetles, LOL Just don,t put them in the microwave on defrost.

Many companies freeze their cigars before we even see them for the exact reason of beetle repulsion.

I may disagree a little with how to handle them. I may let them get to room temp first by leaving the package in the room somewhere then put them in the humidor. I only say this because the humidor may be warmer then the home. These steps on bringing them to temp MAY be important or at least a good caution. Junkman is right though, you have nothing to worry about.

You can send them to Junkman and I if they have freezer burn :laugh:

Like everyone says, it won't hurt anything. If I'm not mistaken, some manufacturers (including Fuente) freeze their cigars before they leave the factory in order to kill beetles, larvae, and eggs.

Edit: Anthem, you beat me to it. :p

Once again, I have to thank everyone for all there help. Stogies are in the humi and defrosting as I type. If I remember I'll give in a update in a couple of weeks.

I'll pile on here.

Had this conversation with Jorge Padron himself along with a few other CP'ers one time.

Jorge says he pulls sticks out of the freezer, lets them sit 10mins and smokes them all the time.

That's good enough word for me :)

dont cry on them sunday when the ravens lose

lol

edit for typo