• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Excise Taxes by State

BrewMeister

The Titus Pullo of CP
Hello all,

From the latest issue of Cigar Magazine:

cigarexcisetaxes1.jpg

I've heard the various tax rates talked about before, however, I'd never seen them all listed together for comparison. I was a bit surprised that some states like North & South Carolina, a couple of the major tobacco producing states have a 3% & a 5% tax respectively, and some other places like New Hampshire & Pennsylvania, have no cigar tax???

yeah... 75% of the wholesale price... no wonder I buy online!

:angry:

jabba said:
Florida rocks! Hopefully they keep it that way.
[snapback]283785[/snapback]​

Your right about that brother. When I lived down there from 03' to 05', I loved it. Now I'm up here in NY where they have a wonderful 37 percent tax. I too know why I purchase most of my cigars online as well...... ;) :thumbs: :cool:

Virginia, 10% of wholesale. :thumbs:
You got to love a tobacco state.

25% isn’t bad but I’m still an online guy myself. Especially when it comes to boxes.

Lovin' MO's tax of 10%, but there are people trying to pass a bill to raise it to 23%...

-Zach

10% for Missouri. Then you get nailed for a couple of more taxes on Tobacco as we do with Alcohol. I tend to buy online anymore being out in the sticks and having to live on disability income. :(

This is what we pay here in Ontario. Leave it to the Canadian Government to make things so complicated. We need a definition to determine the “taxable price”.

Tax on cigars is 56.6% of the taxable price*

* Taxable price of a cigar defined:
(i) taxable price = the price for which the cigar was purchased by its retail dealer + a prescribed percentage (currently 22%) of that amount; or
(ii) taxable price = the price paid for the cigar by the consumer where a consumer purchases the cigar directly from the manufacturer or importer of the cigar.