• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65% VS 70% RH

dk_ace

So I'm in need of a humidor... I remembered that I had a mini fridge that I wasn't using and funds are limited right now. I am going the bead route since it is easy and affordable. I'm getting them tomorrow, but I don't know if I should get the 65 or 70 percent beads. What are the differences between the two? I am in NE Texas, which is a very humid climate in the summer and fluctuates in the winter. The fridge will not be on. It will be in the air conditioned house. I won't keep a lot of cigars in it as I'm a newb and just trying a couple sticks at a time as I can. Probably no more than a box or two at the most (and that sounds like a big goal to me right now). I think that covers the essential info. If you need to know anything else about my situation let me know.

Thanks for your help,
D

OK, so 65 or even 60.... BUT WHY??? I've searched for answers here and elsewhere, but I can't find anything that explains the differences.

D

It's simple - personal preference.

I prefer to age my smokes (coolers) around 65-68% but find them lots more flavorful to smoke around 63-65%. Too dry and they'll burn hot and flat tasting. Too most and you'll have issues with burn and plugging. Mold also becomes an issue if the RH gets too far over 70%. If you ask "what RH do you like to smoke at" I can assure you that you'll get answers all the way from 58 to 70+%.

65% is a very safe bet but to each his own.

One last word - don't do like I did when I was getting started and go crazy over maintaining "exact" RH in your storage. Cigars are wonderful buffers of humidity and you can expect things to run +/- a point or so, day to day. Relax and enjoy.... :cool:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

It's simple - personal preference.

I prefer to age my smokes (coolers) around 65-68% but find them lots more flavorful to smoke around 63-65%. Too dry and they'll burn hot and flat tasting. Too most and you'll have issues with burn and plugging. Mold also becomes an issue if the RH gets too far over 70%. If you ask "what RH do you like to smoke at" I can assure you that you'll get answers all the way from 58 to 70+%.

65% is a very safe bet but to each his own.

One last word - don't do like I did when I was getting started and go crazy over maintaining "exact" RH in your storage. Cigars are wonderful buffers of humidity and you can expect things to run +/- a point or so, day to day. Relax and enjoy.... :cool:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Thanks! That helps! I won't worry about the RH. I plan to get the beads and forget it. I probably won't even get a hygrometer. Funds are really tight right now (and may be for quite some time), so I plan to use what little I have for smokes and not accessories right now. I'm sure I will move up in the future, but right now I'll make do with what I can afford. I'm beginning to think that I may need to go with the lower percentage since I live in such a humid climate and that is where you think they taste the best.

D

Thanks! That helps! I won't worry about the RH. I plan to get the beads and forget it. I probably won't even get a hygrometer. Funds are really tight right now (and may be for quite some time), so I plan to use what little I have for smokes and not accessories right now. I'm sure I will move up in the future, but right now I'll make do with what I can afford. I'm beginning to think that I may need to go with the lower percentage since I live in such a humid climate and that is where you think they taste the best.

D

This might not be such a good idea. I know that the beads do all the work for you, but you will need to know the status of your humi from time to time. Having the hydrometer will allow you to look in and feel secure that the money you have invested into your collection is not going to be ruined. Lots of things can go wrong causing changes in the RH, a bad seal for example. Also,, you need to know when to add water to our dry out the beads. IMHO I really think a hydrometer is a must. Check around, post a ISO (In Search of) or WTB (Want To Buy) in the proper forum and see what happens. The members here are a really great bunch, I am sure someone can help you.

But again, Just this Noobs opinion

Tim

I agree with everything my brothers have already said. I personally wouldn't get any beads higher than 65%, but that's just my personal preference.

And a hygrometer is a MUST HAVE in my opinion.....especially the digital ones. I purchased a really cheap one for only $15.00 right here, which works like a charm: http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/304

Hope that helps and good luck!

I ordered my beads today. I went with 65% from heartfelt. I also picked up a cheap hygro from walmart. I'll test it and use it for peace of mind.

Thanks for all your help!

D

I ordered my beads today. I went with 65% from heartfelt. I also picked up a cheap hygro from walmart. I'll test it and use it for peace of mind.

Heartfelt...great! Wally world hygro...not so great. I bought 2 (1 Accurite and 1 other brand) and they were miserablly off...I wish I would have spent the money on a good one in the 1st place.

Heartfelt...great! Wally world hygro...not so great. I bought 2 (1 Accurite and 1 other brand) and they were miserablly off...I wish I would have spent the money on a good one in the 1st place.

I don't expect the hygro to be very good. I'm going to salt test it. If mine is miserably off, Walmart has a wonderful return policy. We'll see. I hope it works, but if not I'll wait and get a good one in a few weeks.

D

I vote for 65%

I really like my smokes at 65% or less. Any more than 65% and I find that they go out constantly, flavors a little off and just not what I like..

Next time you get the beads from Viper, get the Hygrometer with the Humidpak calibration kit, you'd be suprised at how far off the Hygro's you get at Wal Mart etc can be. I bought one last week and after calibrating the one that I purchased, I checked (1) other digital and (2) dial type Hygros from other humidors in the house. One of the digitals was on, the other off by 4 points, the dials were both 3-5 points off.

I don't know the value of your smokes but a $25.00 Hygro and some beads can actually save you money in the long run. Nothing worse than split wrappers, blown out foot ends and poorly smoking cigars.

Just to echo what others have saif - definintely invest in the right tools/equipment to properly store and maintain your cigars. When I started out years ago, I was in the same position. I had limited funds, and wanted to spend my money on cigars, rather than accessories but I bit the bullet so my cigars would be properly maintained. Well, it may delay your cigar buying for a week or a month, but if you really are getting into cigars, that is nothing over a lifetime. Nothing is worse than investing in cigars, not being able to store them properly and have them dry out, flavors lost and wrappers cracked! Let us know how the hygrometer works out.

Thanks,

Chad

So I'm in need of a humidor... I remembered that I had a mini fridge that I wasn't using and funds are limited right now. I am going the bead route since it is easy and affordable. I'm getting them tomorrow, but I don't know if I should get the 65 or 70 percent beads. What are the differences between the two? I am in NE Texas, which is a very humid climate in the summer and fluctuates in the winter. The fridge will not be on. It will be in the air conditioned house. I won't keep a lot of cigars in it as I'm a newb and just trying a couple sticks at a time as I can. Probably no more than a box or two at the most (and that sounds like a big goal to me right now). I think that covers the essential info. If you need to know anything else about my situation let me know.

Thanks for your help,
D

Being from the Northeast, I have 70%RH beads from HEARTFELT which I use from mid Nov. thru April due to how dry it can get in my house. I have central air/heat which can dry my house out in a hurry...what are you winter seasons like?

C&R

You can buy beads and a hygro from Heartfelt. A hygro is the price of 2-5 sticks.

george

dk,

I say the WallyWorld hygro is all you will ever need because the beads are virtually foolproof. When you see the needle move down, add a little water to the beads and it will pop right back to 65%. Again, I really see no need for expensive hygros when you're using beads. :thumbs:

All I have is el cheapo analog hygro in all of my coolerdors and I've never had a problem in 3+ years.

I've been frustrated lately since my humidor won't keep my smokes above 60% no matter how hard I try. Actually, recently I've noticed that even if I keep it up (!) at even 65% the sticks seem a bit too wet for me, so I actually find myself preferring the 60% level. I guess it may be user preference.

if they're not getting above 60% and they're wet when they are then you've got a major hygro malfunction.

salt test immediately