• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Moving from Tupperdor to Coolerdor

Second
The battery in my hygrometer was on its way out and was starting to read significantly lower
Wilkey

This is exactly what happened to me a month back. My humis were registering in the mid 50's, couldn't figure out why... I pinned it up to the winter weather.

Picked up a new battery at the grocery store, and immediately it jumped up to low 60's, right where i like it.

I think my hydro was about a year old.

Huh, I'd better go out and get some new batteries! How long do you find that the batteries in those Radio Shack units last? I've had mine for over a year now, and it's still reading right where it always has, 65%.

i have the perfecto model of the little havana hygro, about a year old..i saw my humi was not reading right, so re-tested using the salt test. read a 5% off, i replaced the battery, and it is spot on again. guess the moral of the story is to replace your batteries, and often as this effects the readings.

edit for speliing

Gonz,

The batteries are cheap enough that I think I'd just replace them every six months. If you have a voltmeter or digital multimeter, test them. If they are at 1.3-1.35V then I think they're done.

Wilkey

You lost me at "dynamic equilibrium". ???

I don't think Viper beads are silica. Are you referring to the stuff you get from the florist? They soak up and look like jello?

Oh, they're in Pampers too...

Null,

The superabsorbent gel inside diapers is composed of cross-linked acrylic or cellulose-acrylic copolymer. I had a boss who once worked on developing women's pads and adult incontinence diapers. :p The Oasis foam that is often used in home-brew PG/water systems (and some Credo-type humidifying elements) is open cell foam of some sort, I do not know what.

I have never actually seen Viper or Heartfelt media so I cannot comment on that. From what other folks have told me, it is probably silica gel although hydrated acrylic gel can also be used as a humidity buffer.

Wilkey

I replace the batteries in my hygrometers every time I change the batteries in my smoke detectors - when the time changes.

Got it the habit years ago with my smoke detectors, and when I went the digital route with my hygrometers, just started including them in the rotation as well.

Figure my cigars, while not quite the same value as my home, still have enough value that it's worth keeping fresh batteries in the hygrometers. And at $1.00 or $2.00 each a couple of times a year, cheap price to pay!!