• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lochside Eastern Highland Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Lochside 12 yo Eastern Highland Single Malt Scotch, Gordon & MacPhail Connoisseur's Choice Independent bottling, standard bottle, box packaging, 86 proof, 750 ml, about $60.

Lochside%201991.JPG

Lochside is now a silent still having been closed by the owner Allied in early 1992. This bottling was distilled in 1991 and is one of the last made there. Never widely available as an official bottling almost all that can be found is now from Independent bottlers like Gordon & MacPhail, Old Malt Cask, Murray McDavid et al.

Lochside was one of the few Scottish distillers to use a pot still like their Irish brethren. This produces a lighter whisky then conventional column stills and that can be seen in this bottling whose color is a light golden oak. This dram noses light and fruity with traces of candied mandarin oranges and some saltiness in it. The initial tasting is somewhat dependent on what part of the tongue you focus on. At just the tip there is a distinct leather flavor that quickly disappears as the liquid covers more of the mouth and tongue. I get a faint grassy flavor intermingled with oats, salt and oak. The finish is fairly short with a little spiciness at the end.

While never considered a classic malt Lochside was a fine light refined scotch. This particular bottling is just considered average by the experts but there is something here that I really like and my personal rating easily exceeds theirs. This is one that I'm going to buy a spare bottle of before it's gone. For me, an ACE.

No comments from the scotch posse. Must have scared them all away.