• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13 Years Old

cigardawg

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13 Year Old

Presented in a square-sided bottle (box-pressed? :D ), 750 ml. 90 proof, 45%. Nice reddish amber color in the bottle. Poured a test shot to drink straight and then poured a tumbler over ice.

Initial nose off the test shot was fairly mild, with molassas and a touch of floral being dominant. The nose off the tumbler mellowed and expanded to include some oak and vanilla to go with the floral/molassas.

Taste of the straight bourbon is best classified (at least by me) as smokey, oaky molassas. There was a great sweetness to this bourbon that was enhanced by the smokey, oaky flavors. There was a touch of vanilla on the finish, leaving the palate clean. The bourbon in the tumbler, as expected, was tamed a bit by the ice. I prefer bourbon over ice, not to cut the alcohol, but because I like my drinks chilled :blush: . Anyway, the tastes from the tumbler were less of the smokey oak and more of the sweet molassas with touches of vanilla. There was also the taste of raisons mixed with a floral note on the palate as the bourbon further diluted.

The finish was clean and crisp despite the sweetness. There was no clinging or cloying to the mouth.

The body was, in my opinion, mild to medium and at times very soft. This can, in no way, be classified as a "big" bourbon. It is very drinkable and not the least bit offensive.

The Old Charter is made in the Buffalo Trace Distillary. It is a very easy to drink bourbon that can be enjoyed anytime. Price was approximately $33.

Well, talk about stealing thunder, I was going to review this one on the weekend. Guess I'll do a scotch instead.

Nice review and hopefully I'll be able to add a little to it when I post my mine.