• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Glenrothes 1974 Limited Release

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Glenrothes 1974 Limited Release,29 yo, short dumpy bottle, wrap-around open sided packaging, 750ml, 86 proof, about $95.

Glenrothes%201974.JPG

Let me say that if you haven't had Glenrothes you are missing out. The 11 yo at $50 is a good buy, the 20yo at $70 is really good and this one at $95 is exceptional. Buy some NOW!

The Glenrothes 1974 Limited Release (bottled in 2003)is part of a series of old Glemrothes released in fairly small amounts but not so small it is really difficult to find. This one is considered the best Glenrothes ever released by the Wine Enthusiast buying guide although the 1972 32 yo makes a strong case for that title too.

After a pretty good weekend we had an early dinner of salmon with butter lime sauce (my own creation) some salad and veggies. Letting that sit for an hour it was time to go out on the deck with a glass of The Glenrothes and a Gurkha Master's Select (available only from 2guys if you're interested) to spark up after I did these tasting notes.

This Speyside scotch is at first very similar to the older Balvenies but that is just a fleeting resemblence. The nose is full of malt and vanilla with hints of orange and spices. Just from the nosing you know you are in for a treat. The tasting is one of barley, oak, and toffee with a strong sweetness holding everything together. A very long finish allows a bit more oak flavor through the honey and spices. Overall an outstanding dram that holds it's own with the best of the scotch world. All this at a really inexpensive price for a 29 year old.

Supplies of the 1974 Limited Release are starting to get low so put this one high on your list of must buys. An Ace. :thumbs:

Mmmmm, sounds like you picked a winner. Seeing how it is from a good year, my birth year, I think I will get it to have something to sip on my birthday for the next 10 years. Thanks for the heads up. Seing how my bonus pay hits on the 1st, it is as good as mine.

Try here. They might and it's on sale to boot.

Where are ya Emo......does the other place ship to Fla?

AVB said:
[snapback]188495[/snapback]​
I didn't check it. The first site said they wouldn't because it was against state law transport liqour across state line.

Emo

I think that might be true of most states, I KNOW it is here in PA. Still might be worth giving them a call.

emodx said:
AVB said:
[snapback]188495[/snapback]​
I didn't check it. The first site said they wouldn't because it was against state law transport liqour across state line.

Emo
[snapback]188511[/snapback]​

I was born in 1974 and I'm 30. So shouldn't this be 30 years old?

It was bottled in 2003 making it 29 years old. I should have noted that in the initial review.

What??? You don't have semi-annual birthdays like some here? :p

bfreebern said:
Gotcha. I might buy some to sip on my yearly bday.
[snapback]188643[/snapback]​

emodx said:
Never mind, wont ship to FL
[snapback]188286[/snapback]​

Emo - Something to note is that the laws which FL has had in place barring out of state vendors from shipping liquor to Florida has been declared unconstitutional and has been repealed. These guys should ship now. This just happened within the last few weeks.

Also, this is an outstanding scotch. I agree completely and always like to make sure I keep some on hand in the arsenal. As always, a great review AVB.

I got a sample from our good friend Ray. This was IMO a better dram that the '72 we hunted down. Not quite as orange but a little bit more vanilla than the '72. Rich and a little sweet. I enjoyed this with a LG small batch that I got from the RTDA show. It's spicyness complemented the sweetness of this fantastic whisky. :thumbs: Now, I just need to get a bottle of this, although I'm still a little gunshy at the moment!