• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Peat Monster

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Peat Monster by Compass Box, vatted malt, 92 proof, tall bottle, 700ml, standard box package, about $45-55 now in the US.

Compas%20Box%20Peat%20Monster.JPG

When I first bought this it wasn't available in the US, a situation that Compass Box has since rectified.

Another typical Friday but at least it was drying out when I got home from the 3.5" of rain we received in the last 48 hours. Pulled the grill out and tossed a few burgers and hot sausages on for a little cookout. The temps are down to the low 70's and that made it very pleasent when I went out to the deck with my glass of The Peat Monster.

While being more peaty then any other Compass Box offering and the vast majority of other malts available it isn't the monsterous overpowering peat that one would expect based on the name. This is a very light straw color and the nose is strongly a peaty smoke with a vanilla undertones as one would expect. A drop of water opens this dram up very nicely. First tasting is less medicinal then Laphroaig but is fairly clean and of course, peaty and smokey. The finish is medium-long in length with a faint trace of bitterness at the very end. Nothing to worry about but it is there, at least for me. YMMV.

For those that enjoy the smokey, peaty Islay Island drams this should be in your cabinet and at the price available it isn't a bad buy either. The American versions are a full 750ml instead of the 700ml of my import. A few members ordered the import during one of my scotch buys last year and it would be nice to get their input on this too.

Difficult question as all of the Islay malts have their own distinct style. The main purpose of this dram is to accentuate the peaty flavor. It is younger then the Lagavulin and none of the malts in it were stored in Sherry casks so it is a much lighter color and doesn't have as much sweetness in it. At volume you wouldn't notice the difference. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lumberg said:
How does it compare to the Lagavulin?
[snapback]199649[/snapback]​