• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Camping report

IgwanaRob

I'm just 2 people short of a threesome
My friends Adam, Tom, PJ and I headed upstate Saturday morning for an over-nighter. Played some poker on the way up, lost. Got to the site, lit up a Diablo Picante, and set up the tent. Set up the rods by the lake, and PJ caught 2 fish within being at the site for only 5 minutes. Proceeded to partake in the usual camping activities involved with setting up for the day/night - even managed to avoid burning a hole in the tent with the cigar.

After a while we deiced to take a quick hike over to the river that we normally go tubing on in the warmer weather (our campsite just happens to be right near the sport they drop people off from the town for tubing). We expected it to be insane, being that it has rained relentlessly everyday for the past 7 days (average rainfall for the month of October is around 1" - we had 14" over the past week), and they had let the dam out a bit to help with the water levels. I lit up a PAM Pyramide - my very first PAM ever, and we took off. Insane indeed - the river was about 25% closer than it used to be down the path, split off and made 2 new pathways that came even closer to the main road. In the 15 years we've been going there, I've never seen water that rough or fast. We "navigated" over some water to a small fairly dry patch on the side and I sat on a log smoking one of the finest tasting cigars I've ever tried. Not sure it was a good idea to have the three guys who were drinking trying to balance behind me as I dangled near the water smoking a cigar, but I was too busy being in heaven staring at the water and mountain line to care.

Later that night, we decided to pig out - get some marinated London broil, burgers, and get the fire cooking. We're relaxing in the woods, fishing, and shooting and burning things when we decide to play some more poker. I win, I lite up an Excalibur Dark Knight and we decide to burn us up some more formerly living animal parts. BBQ chicken drums soaked in the same marinade that we all can't get enough of (Adam's wife made it for us, and it made the food!). We ate some more burgers, some hot dogs, and then polished off the remaining cheese by making some campfire style grilled cheese while we took target practice on a miniature General Store diorama that he brought up. After the BB's busted it up, it went on fire and made for some nice pictures. Great food, some fun fishing, winning cards, and great cigars - definitely a good night.

Adam is already long gone in Tom's tent by the time I decide to call it a night. Tom and PJ decided to play another game (Tom won I think). They end up sleeping in PJ's van, and lucked out because some freak wind storm came through and sent Tom's tent flying all over the place - with Adam in it! Seems the freakishly strong wind caused the stakes on Tom's tent to pop out, lifted Tom's tent, and then flipped it onto and over mine, and then down a small hill. I looked out my window, saw the tent about 20 feet from where it was originally, and heard Adam wonder out loud "what the ****?!?" I smiled and went back to sleep :p. Woke up, spent half an hour with Tom hunting down tons of garbage that was blown around in the wind that morning (beer bottles 50 feet into the woods, plates 2 sites down, etc.) Lit up an HdM Dark Sumatra (another first, very smooth smoke), and packed everything up. Just as the cigar was finishing, and my stuff was done being packed, it started to rain a little so we hit the diner to recharge before heading home.

On the way home, we hit some heavy traffic, and actually squeezed in 2 rounds of Hold'em. PJ won the first, and I won the second.

There is a ton of interesting details and hysterical things "left out", but in the name of international diplomacy all irrelevant details and inside jokes are being left out ;)

I miss camping, haven't been for quite some time. I need to get a trip together.

Sounds like fun! We used to camp a lot and I miss it. I wasn't smoking cigars when we camped years ago...Now it sounds like the perfect place to light one up!

I "almost" camped this weekend.....

I hung out with a friend of mine last Saturday and we met up with some of his buddies for a Jeep trail ride. They spent the weekend camping and we visited them for the day. They looked like they were having fun and it made me miss camping all the more.

I took a bunch of pictures, here's a few interesting ones. These guys are serious about their Jeeps and nothing slows them down. One guy trashed his transfer case...but hey, it's not a problem. Somebody has an "extra" one, there are trailers and tools galore...they winch the Jeep onto a trailer, about 6 guys crawl underneath and in about 2 hours...presto/chango...the transfer case is swapped and he's back on the road. Here's a picture of the work...you can see the old transfer case in the lower left of the picture.

standard.jpg

During the trail ride, we circled through a couple of washouts. It was my first Jeep experience and I came away impressed. Even the stock ones are very agile. The guy in the picture runs "open diffs" (I learned all the lingo!), got stuck, tried to back up and ended up sliding around on the side of the washout. As the Jeep slowly tipped up on it's driver's side, the driver stuck his left arm out the window and was actually balancing the Jeep on the left two wheels and his hand. Again, not a problem for these guys, they jumped in with some muscle and a winch cable and had him out and unharmed in a few minutes. Check it out:
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

If you want to look at all 44 pictures, here's a link: Jeep pics

The yellow Jeep belongs to my buddy.