• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sometimes they just taste like poo...

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Ever had one of those days?

Thankfully it doesn't happen to me all that often and luckily it hasn't happened to a rare smoke that would have had me wanting to kick my own ass over it, but sometimes one's taste-buds are somehow off and you don't enjoy your smoke. Sadly today was one of those days for me.

:(

actually yes- and the main reasonI never judge a cigar after just one tasting!

Had one of those occasions last night. Burned two sticks about 1/4 way through and then let them go before I realized it was probably just me.

Hate those days or nights(as per the case for me)

CYG

I absolutely hate it when this happens. I usually waste two good sticks before I realize it's just me. Fortunately it doesn't happen often -- twice in the past year that I can recall.

Anyone have any idea why this happens? ???

Before this thread, I thought it was just me. :p

stevehawk said:
[snapback]245113[/snapback]​

It probably has to do with smoking so often that your body needs a break. That's just talking out of my @ss, but that would be my guess. :thumbs:

I haven't been smoking long enough to have this happen to me. Though I did smoke an especially bad cigar the other night. Though it wasn't me because the next one I lit up a few hours later was heavenly. If you are curious, the second one was an Opus, my first one. :love:

For me, my mood has an ENORMOUS effect on how much or little I enjoy a cigar. Unfortunately it's a catch 22 sometimes...I come home stressed and want a cigar to enjoy and help me relax, however, sometimes the stress that I am trying to get away from makes me enjoy a cigar less than I normally would....which most of the time is counterproductive as far as my mood is concerned.

I had one of those moments yesterday...I think ive been frying my tastebuds with coffee and tea! ..I need to give my buds a break for a week or so before I try and spark up next time

Yup,

This has happened to me. There comes the rare day where even old reliable tastes like a White Owl. Then I know it's me.

And I agree about the whole mental mood and smoking. If you aren't receptive to what a good stick and some down time for you, it's likely not to be a satisfying experience.

Wilkey

Hmmmm... interesting hypotheses. Hell, I don't know either, but what I have found is that sometimes when I have one of those "poo" experiences, as you put it, I can change it by simply having something different to drink with the cigar or eating something small and coming back to the smoke. I actually had this experience two nights ago with a cigar that I've had before. Therefore, after about a 1/3 of the way into it, I went to the kitchen, ate a few pretzels, grabbed a different beverage and the smoke was more enjoyable. It wasn't quite as good as normal, but it was better. I've also found that sometimes a little spoon of vanilla icecream can liven up and refresh my taste buds a bit. For me, the food that I've had or what I'm drinking plays a big role in my smoking experience.

Bchem - that's really interesting about your comment concerning mood. Maybe I ought to do my dissertation on your hypothesis
:laugh:

I couldn't agree more with Swissy on the importance of trying a cigar at least twice before forming too strongly of an opinion.

I found a good cure for this is to start drinking.

Cigars always taste good after a few beers.

mhortsch said:
I found a good cure for this is to start drinking.

Cigars always taste good after a few beers.
[snapback]245180[/snapback]​

and the women look better too!

cigar1993 said:
and the women look better too!
[snapback]245186[/snapback]​

I've found that they dont look any better you just start to care less about what they look like ;)

The first time I ever got piss drunk I was waiting for the "beer goggles" to kick in...I realised..wow girls dont look any better..I just dont care how they look! :sign:

I had one of those moments yesterday...I think ive been frying my tastebuds with coffee and tea! ..I need to give my buds a break for a week or so before I try and spark up next time

I usually always have a cup of hot tea when I smoke. For me it usually enhances the flavor of the cigar. Coffee on the other hand seems to overpower the taste of the cigar, at least for me.

SabresFan said:
I usually always have a cup of hot tea when I smoke. For me it usually enhances the flavor of the cigar. Coffee on the other hand seems to overpower the taste of the cigar, at least for me.
[snapback]245206[/snapback]​

My problem is I drink it piping hot and it burns my tastebuds...I just have to give them a while to heal and start tasting again.

I agree though tea can really go well with some cigars...just as long as its not TOO hot.

I think some of the biggest things that would effect how a cigar smokes is where you smoke it, what mood your in, what you've had to eat or drink, who your with, and sometimes..its just the cigar.

Had this happen last week with a gurkha expedition was so looking forward to that stick to .Tasted like someone had shoved a whole pack of marlbros in my mouth was my first gurkha to .

Wurm,

Just wondering...what was the stick you were disappointed with? Was it something you hadn't tried before, or something you already knew and expected to like? Occasionally, even good cigars can be inconsistent.

SteveD.
b8f49505.gif

It was a old standby... turns out I have a sinus infection that the doctor gave me antibiotics for today.

So I am thinking that was the problem. As we all know having a screwed up nose is bad business for enjoying a cigar.

Yes I have. It hurts the most especially when I've been jonesing for a cigar that I'd been waiting for that right time to smoke. Sometimes I wonder if it can be pinned to one thing (anticipation perhaps) or maybe that its, as the saying goes, the worst smoke sitting right next to the best smoke you'd ever have?

Darren

stevehawk said:
I absolutely hate it when this happens. I usually waste two good sticks before I realize it's just me. Fortunately it doesn't happen often -- twice in the past year that I can recall.

Before this thread, I thought it was just me. :p
[snapback]245113[/snapback]​

Could be a greater anticipation with little payback to what you'd expect should have been a great smoke. The food you ate, the drink you drank before the smoke, the atmosphere (perhaps sitting outside where its too windy, or inside where an air freshener is working).

I'll tell you one thing that I do so that at least I can appreciate the smoke better for my sinuses. There's a porcelain pot called the Neti pot. I was introduced to this in a yoga class I took some time ago. Its amazing. You put a mixture of warm water and 1 heaping teaspoon of kosher salt, allowed to dissolve for a few moments. Once the salt is mixed and dissolved you put the end of the spout into one nostril, tilt your head the opposite direction and let the warm salt water flow over and spill out of the other nostril. Believe me, it will clean your nasal palette (sp?) and will allow you to more fully appreciate what you are about to smoke. Of course, food will cloud your senses but not as much as coffee (though, if you consider that coffee grounds are used to cleans the nasal palette, sniffed in between sampling different colognes or perfumes, it may not be as bad as you'd think).

Some food for thought (no pun intended :whistling: )

Darren

I've seen those pots and always wondered if they actually worked. Somehoe I think I'd feel like I was drowning if I poured warm water into one nostril and let it flow to the other. Is that a weird thing to get used to?

I have chronic sinus problems (face smashed as teenager) and I've been looking for something that might give me some relief (at least temporarily) for enhancement of my cigar smoking.

Got a source for one of those Neti pots?