• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Monkey Shoulder Batch 27

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Monkey Shoulder Batch 27, short dumpy bottle, no packaging, 700ml, 80 proof, about $38, not available in the US.

Monkey%20Shoulder.JPG

Monkey Shoulder is a brand new ’triple malt’ vatted whisky¸ crafted in small batches from single malts from 3 Speyside distilleries. I have it on very good authority that about 90% of this malt is Kininvie, a malt that has never been bottled as a single malt by the distillery or any independent bottler. The rest is Balvenie and Glenfiddich. Kininvie was built in 1990 to supply blending stock for Wm. Grant and is one of the most modern distilleries in Scotland.

Why the name Monkey Shoulder? The traditional malting process requires soaked barley laid about a foot deep to germinate over 14 days. During this period the malting barley is turned over many times by distillery workers using wooden shovels. This controls the build-up of temperature in the grain, which would stop germination. This repetitive shovel work can give rise to a muscle ache in the shoulder, hence "monkey shoulder" - a form of RSI. Monkey Shoulder was created by Wm Grant’s malt master¸ David Stewart. Jim Murray gave Monkey Shoulder a towering 93/100 in his Whisky Bible 2006¸ high praise indeed! Limited to just 27 bourbon casks hence the Batch 27 in the name I'm sure that there will be more of this available as it is selling very well from what I've been hearing.

Nosing is quite pleasant with a bit of banana and strawberry preserves way in the background. Some barley can be noticed if you let the glass sit for a while. Tasting is vanilla and cola with just a hint of mint. Works out quite well even if it doesn't sound that way. The finish is on the short side with the vanilla sweetness holding everything together while the bananas from the nosing make a stronger reappearance.

I've written Wm. Grant about possible US release of this but they haven't been very forthcoming. If you get a chance to buy a bottle I would strongly advise it. For those that are interested I should be able to offer this in my next group buy for about $55 delivered.

Thank you for the review, AVB. I am not a participant in the group buy but I was wondering where I could pick up a bottle. I did some searches and I am not familiar with the few UK vendors offering Monkey Shoulder. Any help is appreciated! :)

The group buys I do are first come first served. Once I announce the buy you either say you are in or not. One should be coming up before Thanksgiving so keep an eye out. As for sources......... :whistling:

smallg said:
Thank you for the review, AVB. I am not a participant in the group buy but I was wondering where I could pick up a bottle. I did some searches and I am not familiar with the few UK vendors offering Monkey Shoulder. Any help is appreciated! :)
[snapback]246448[/snapback]​

I got some of this at my old cigar lounge (before the new laws) and loved it. Really well blended and smooth, and I would certainly agree with the vanilla and cola nuances, as well as a fruity overtone matched well by a malty finish.

I know it sounds odd, and it is not as sweet as it sounds. Give it a go.

I didn't expect to see this one resurrected due to the limited nature of the item but oddly enough I had a bit more of this on Friday night when I returned from my trip. I do wish they would make more to send here but I can still get it from the UK although it isn't the "Batch 27" any longer.

Was lucky enough to grab a bottle of this in the last buy, and was very happy I did!

It's a very smooth blend and I could get the marmalade & vanilla before I took a sip. It's a clean drink, opened up a little more to some cola tastes after I dropped in a couple of ice cubes. Will be getting a nother bottle if available again.

Now that this is available here in the States . . . I'm on my second bottle. :thumbs:

Very nice dram. Buttery, malty, very smooth, with a fruity/slightly sherried sweetness. Great mouthfeel and eminently drinkable, and $3 less than a fifth of JWB at my local megastore!

It's not a big, complex "Scotchy Scotchy Scotch" bomb of mouth-filling flavor like the Glendronachs and Benriachs I tend to favor, but as a daily drinker, and for the price, it's an absolute gem. Took my first bottle of it down to the Friday night herf at the cigar lounge, and the BOTL there emptied every shelf in town of it the next day! :laugh:

Oh, and while I suspect they don't use much Balvenie . . . you sure can taste it in there. :love:

~Boar

I have a bottle of this in route from Chicago and can hardly wait until Monday. :laugh:

I picked up a bottle a few days ago, and it is very good. A little on the sweeter side, very smooth, nice well rounded depth of flavor. Initial taste has some hints of fruit with a light vanilla flavor, then builds to a deeper and richer vanilla flavor. The finish is pretty short, but it has a nice aftertaste that lingers just long enough to make you take another sip instead of setting the glass down. If I was designing a scotch to be a daily pour, it would be almost identical to this. Local shop has it for $25, so I may need to stock up now.

The label on the neck does say "Batch 27", so has that just become part of the name/branding?