• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Strathisla 12 yo Single Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Strathisla 12 yo Pure Highland Malt Scotch Whisky, 750ml, 86 proof, box packaging, medium rectangular bottle, about $43-50.

Strathisla%2012.JPG

Strathisla12jaar.jpg

US versions use a green bottle (pictured) while the UK version is a clear bottle.

As you can see from the picture this is a Chivas Brothers product and a main part of their more famous blends. The single malt bottling is only 2% of their total production. You may also notice that it says Established in 1786 making it the oldest distillery in northern Scotland. Also known as Milltown the distillery sits on a site that was used for making beer as far back as the 13th century. From those that know these things it is also supposed to be one of the most picturesque distilleries in Scotland.

After the typical too much of everything on Thanksgiving I took a break for an hour or so (OK it was really a nap :p) before pouring myself a glass of Strathisla . I've had enough over the years that note taking wasn't really needed as this is one of my familiar old scotch friends and a real hidden gem.

The nosing is orange peel, oak and malt mixed with a bit of spices. An ice cube brings out more or the malty notes. Tasting is sweet and soft with sherry, malt, fruit and vanilla all vying for your attention but in a civilized way. The finish pops out of the smoothness of this malt and lasts for a long time. It is really surprising the way it suddenly comes up but totally enjoyable.

Strathisla is one of only a few malts where oak is such a strong yet smooth part of the flavor and they seem to have figured out how to do it right. This is a good solid mid-range malt that will do any bar proud. Recommended.

Is this better Gregor? :)

Gotta ask..how much was it for this bottle? Sounds pretty good.

AVB said:
Strathisla 12 yo Pure Highland Malt Scotch Whisky, 750ml, 86 proof, box packaging, medium rectangular bottle, about $43-50.

AVB said:
AVB said:
[snapback]254845[/snapback]​

Not to bad at all. I guess I will have to try and find a bottle. I need to get my Scotch Collection going anyways. :D

Pretty wide distribution on this so you shouldn't have any problems finding one unlike some I've reviewed.

AVB said:
Pretty wide distribution on this so you shouldn't have any problems finding one unlike some I've reviewed.
[snapback]254917[/snapback]​
Except the fact I'm in Missouri and they are strict in what can and can not be sold here. :laugh:

It is listed as being available in Missouri.

DATE: 11/10/05 DIVISION OF LIQUOR CONTROL REPORT-NO: LC030590-R01
TIME: 18.19.22 STATE OF MISSOURI PAGE 272
LIQUOR WHOLESALER/VENDOR REPORT
EFFECTIVE 12/01/2005

L7980050 STRATHISLA PURE HIGHLAND MALT SCOTCH WHISKY

I was informed by the Ambassador to scotch for Pernod Ricard that this was the base for the Chivas 12. This dram was very interesting to my young pallet. I need to try it again

I thought I said that already ???

AVB said:
As you can see from the picture this is a Chivas Brothers product and a main part of their more famous blends.
[snapback]254837[/snapback]​

jus10 said:
I was informed by the Ambassador to scotch for Pernod Ricard that this was the base for the Chivas 12. This dram was very interesting to my young pallet. I need to try it again
[snapback]282089[/snapback]​

Damn, After reading all of your reviews and bringing nothing to the table... I said to myself I got something! this was not so :blush: freekin' noobies :D