• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reinforcing the seal on my new humidor

PTownshend

big-nosed cigar freak!
Hello all,
I recently received my humidor from Cheaphumidors.com and am looking to reinforce the seal at various strategic places (around the dual, 3 pronged power receptacle for one).

Can anyone who has used weather stripping to bolster a possibly leaky area or seal drop me a line and give some well needed advice.

I'm currently seasoning this cabinet, and am currently not noticing any sort of RH% loss, but am just heding my bets and wanting to be sure this baby is tight as a drum humidity wise.

Thanks in advance to all who might be able to send some well needed advice this way! :thumbs:

Happy Holidays,
Darren

EDITED: to show this link http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/mer...RNITUREHUMIDORS

Because we have talked a bunch you know I have the same humidor and if you want to get extra weather seal that's up to you but not necessary unless its leaking.

You haven't said if it was everything you thought it would be????

I thought mine was actually better than expected.

Rich

Ironworker said:
Because we have talked a bunch you know I have the same humidor and if you want to get extra weather seal that's up to you but not necessary unless its leaking.

---> Ok, sounds like a plan! I'll start to use it to house my cigars and see how the RH% holds. If steady, I'll do just that.. nothing! Thanks for the suggestion.

You haven't said if it was everything you thought it would be????

---> its everything and then some! I'm still waiting for the Cigar Oasis Pro to ship (Dave never replied to my email letting me know when to expect it). But, I'm totally blown away! I expected it to look smaller than it is (and believe me, this is NOT a complaint, but quite the opposite - a mild heart attack suprise of happy proportions!).

I thought mine was actually better than expected.

---> once the humidity is stabilized in the nether regions of 65-67%, I will unconditionally and wholeheartedly agree with you 100%!!!!

Thanks for this answer to my post!
Darren :)

Rich
[snapback]263456[/snapback]​

Well then I am very happy for you and I am glad that it's everything to you mine was for me. :)

Did you get the glass door or did you pass on that?
To be honest my humidor stabilized within 3 days but I also wiped it down with a distilled water and a sponge the day I got it. :laugh:
When I say wiped it down I don't mean soaked but just lightly swiped a sponge around inside.

I think that humidor will last for years without any troubles.

Merry Christmas.

Rich

Ironworker said:
Well then I am very happy for you and I am glad that it's everything to you mine was for me. :)

Did you get the glass door or did you pass on that?

---> I decided to stick just to the wooden doors. Something about not seeing the merch always has me more excited than being able to see inside it. Besides, with the open door comes that wonderful ISOM aroma!!! Intoxicating, to say the least.

To be honest my humidor stabilized within 3 days but I also wiped it down with a distilled water and a sponge the day I got it. :laugh:
When I say wiped it down I don't mean soaked but just lightly swiped a sponge around inside.

---> I was going to do that, but decided to just put two open bowls with distilled water and 2 sponges in there (one up top for the drawer, and one down at the bottom). When I head home I'll probably wipe it down.

I think that humidor will last for years without any troubles.

---> I totally agree with you. However, I am currently having a new house built as we speak. At some point, in the basement, I will probably build a walk in humidor. Any idea who I might talk to who can give me some pointers about that? :whistling:

Loving the holidays just about now!
Darren

Merry Christmas.

Rich
[snapback]263484[/snapback]​

I had the same idea to seal the back where the power hookup is. Mine was pretty wide open. I used the self stick, 1/4" door weatherstripping. Peel the backing off and put it as close to the edge as I could, and then mounted the box. When test fitting, there was one side that i ended up, putting a double layer on, (one strip on top of the other. I believe the result was worth the effort. My inside home RH is in the high 20's and I thought it was needed to avoid losing anymore moisture. I may put one just under the top door hinge as I can't get the door adjusted to close the gap.

The other problem is that I miscalculated the Cubic feet inside and only have a pound of beads, but am ordering another pound. I have to add water once or twice a week to keep the RH between 65-70%. I don't mind though.