• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente King B

OpusXKC

MOΛΩN ΛABE
Name -- Arturo Fuente King B
Size – Belicoso 5 ¾" x 52
Wrapper -- Ecuadorian "cloud-grown" Rosado

So as it seems everyone is talking about these smokes, yet no one has reviewed one. I don’t know if that means that none of us smoked them (that can’t be true ;) ), or just that no one has reviewed one. Well here is my experience with “The King”.

-Prelight-
I looked this stick over and found all of the packaging to be in order. The cedar wrap seemed to be doing its job while looking at it through the cello. After removing the stick from its plastic sheath I removed the cedar and found a disappointing sight. Upon the wrapper glistened speckled spots of cedar sap. I gently tried to remove some of it and found it to be to difficult to remove, so I just had to hope for the best.
Over all the construction was excellent. A smooth burnt sienna wrapper rolled seamlessly around this cigar. The belicoso tip was sturdy and straight, standing at attention waiting to be removed.
I gently cut off the King’s crown to my desired draw. After a simple test draw I found an easy and full airflow that was somewhat dry and hid a citrus spice.

--Light and Smoke—
I gave this cigar the royal treatment with a nice toasting and then the light. With the first few puffs I noticed a cinnamon and cedar spice. The cedar taste and aroma was somewhat expected due to the sap situation.
Giving this cigar an inch helped to bring out a nice smoke laced with flavors of walnut and a bakery fresh cookie taste. These tastes were still interlaced with a less pronounced cedar flavor. A woody and tangy flavor was also noted that I believe was produced by the tobacco and not the sap, as this flavor was quite enjoyable.
Moving down the stick I found a nice mallow cream that was mixed with the distinct flavor of young tobacco oil. This mixture reminded me of an over roasted coffee bean and was still quite tasty.
Taking the King down to a prince in stature I scarred out an excellent taste of heavy cappuccino. I found the cigar producing a combination of aromas and flavors that reminded heavily of the head off of a freshly poured Guinness.
Bringing this cigar to a close I received a slightly steely metallic taste blended in with a burnt toast hint. These flavors said to me that this King hadn’t been crowned for very long.

--Overall Impressions—
I must say that I was initially disappointed with the fact that this cigar was dotted with cedar sap. After lighting and smoking it I found that it wasn’t a large factor of the experience. Despite that opinion I would suggest anyone who has these sticks remove them from the cedar ASAP, as not to cause any future problems.
As for this stick, I think it is a little young. It did present some of the characteristics found in the Fuente Sungrowns, but with a little twist. Give these cigars some age and they will be a much nicer smoke.

-Smokem' if you gotem'-
Tony
:cool:

Nice review man! :thumbs: Still keeping an eye out for these to pop up at my local B&M unfortunately... What was MSRP on yours?

-Zach

I watched Tony smoke this here lil fella and scribble down notes. Great review my friend and I think that with a lil age like all cigars this will be another fine Fuente product!

Drew

Still taking my time in waiting for the opportunity to smoke "The King" myself. I paid $6.18 for my two King B's which I'm pretty sure is somewhat close to MSRP.

I was gifted a King B and everything you wrote was just what I experienced with it. Great Cigar. However, I had the same conclusion. Let this bad boy age a little and it will be awesome.

Finally the review I've been waiting on :thumbs: Nice review Tony! Can't wait to try one.

I gave a small review HERE :whistling: a few days ago. It wasn't in the Review forum, but I did smoke it and comment on it. :thumbs:

You nursed that puppy for nearly three hours! I'm sure it was a good smoke...had that typical Fuente sungrown taste from the puff I took. I'm interested in giving one of these a shot sometime.

How was the burn on yours? I've read other reviews and the general consensus was that the King Bs were shipped pretty wet and need a bit of time in a lower humidity to dry out some. A lot of people were reporting uneven burns, etc. from the "wetness" of these when they are fresh.

Shibumi said:
I gave a small review HERE :whistling: a few days ago. It wasn't in the Review forum, but I did smoke it and comment on it. :thumbs:
[snapback]267879[/snapback]​

:p No wonder I missed it then, I just read it, nice review as well.

mrjinglesusa said:
How was the burn on yours? I've read other reviews and the general consensus was that the King Bs were shipped pretty wet and need a bit of time in a lower humidity to dry out some. A lot of people were reporting uneven burns, etc. from the "wetness" of these when they are fresh.
[snapback]267894[/snapback]​

I truly think it was the sap that gave me burn problems. It was the wrapper that had trouble catching up with the tobacco.

The burn was not as consistent as would be expected from a Fuente. I had to touch up with my lighter a few times. Could have been the sap or the cigar, I can't say. Overall the burn did need some help.

Sorry I should have put that info in there in the first place. :blush:

Ok, so are the King B's and 858 Rosados made with the same wrapper?

And if "yes" than does a King B taste like an 858 Rosado?! ???

KayakinBoy said:
Ok, so are the King B's and 858 Rosados made with the same wrapper?

And if "yes" than does a King B taste like an 858 Rosado?! ???
[snapback]267971[/snapback]​

There are probably only 2 or 3 people on this board that could answer that. ;) I think there is still debate on what type of wrapper is on the King B. Whether is is just a Sun Grown or some type of Rosado (like Opus X) wrapper. Anyone have a definitive answer on what kind of wrapper this has?

I haven't smoked a King B yet. When I do, I'll try and remember if it's anything like the 858 Rosado.

mrjinglesusa said:
Whether is is just a Sun Grown or some type of Rosado (like Opus X) wrapper. Anyone have a definitive answer on what kind of wrapper this has?
[snapback]267993[/snapback]​

I wish it was an Opus X Wrapper. :D

bfreebern said:
I haven't smoked a King B yet. When I do, I'll try and remember if it's anything like the 858 Rosado.
[snapback]267998[/snapback]​

Fuggin show off! :sign:

KayakinBoy said:
mrjinglesusa said:
Whether is is just a Sun Grown or some type of Rosado (like Opus X) wrapper. Anyone have a definitive answer on what kind of wrapper this has?
[snapback]267993[/snapback]​

I wish it was an Opus X Wrapper. :D

bfreebern said:
[snapback]267998[/snapback]​

Fuggin show off! :sign:
[snapback]268014[/snapback]​

No, it was a Look at me, Look at me post :sign:

Now I'm curious, I had just assumed it was the traditional SG wrapper.

According to moki's rare cigar page it's a "cloud grown" rosado grown by the Oliva family.