• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

jr cigars/padron

jabba

Anyone know the reason why JR doesn't sell Padron cigars? I just placed a phone order and didn't realize that they didn't carry them. I asked the girl from JR and she had no clue.

I could be wrong but depending on who your distributor is and who your authorized to sell they may not have the option to but padron or cant because one of the companies there authorized to sell wont allow it. I’ve noticed this is some of the shops around here, major brands they don’t carry where its obvious they favor another.

I think that JR had one of their Ult cigar vitolas named Padron. Padron dragged JR to court over the matter and Jr stopped using the name Padron.
I really don't know if it's JR that doesnät want to sell Padron or if itäs Padron that wont let them but I think it originates from the lawsuit.

DOESN"T Altadis or General now have a rather large stake in JRCigars? Plus, they are a publically traded company, so I am sure there is soeone behind the boss pointig him n the direction JR is to be going.

-E

correct me if i'm wrong but i read somewhere that jr deals in huge volumes and padron would'nt be able to supply what jr needs. seems reasonable. :cool:

sack said:
correct me if i'm wrong but i read somewhere that jr deals in huge volumes and padron would'nt be able to supply what jr needs. seems reasonable. :cool:
[snapback]268893[/snapback]​
As many boxes as I see siting on shelves waiting to be sold in the different local shops, I am sure Padron could rearrange some things so JR's get's a cut. Hell, Fuente can't even give JR's the amo unt they sell and remain loyal to the smaller shops. Either Altadis or General cigars had a mjor stake in JR's, and I am sure they have some say. Also it is quite possible that Padron doesn't want to be associated with the Wal Mart of cigars.

Emo

Jorge Padron won't allow his product to be whored through the largest wholesaler in the country because he doesn't want the quailty to go to crap. They produce on a small volume(in comparison to the big boys)and can't quite keep up with the demand for regular outlets let alone a monster like JR. Altadis owns JR which is the reason alot of companies won't sell to them. This is also the reason that General has Bolivar back. They own the brand name but contract it out to Rothman. When they sold the company to Altadis they sold the contracts. General has to continue to produce the product under these contracts until they run out. El Rey Del Mundo is one of these. I believe they still have a year left on this contract. I can't wait to be able to buy them from General. I won't buy them for our store because I can't deal with JR. How do you sell something that a customer with a little savy can purchase for the same price that JR sells to retailers? JR is the true DEVIL to B&M. If you order something from the wholesale side they flood the zipcode with their catalogs. F*** JR!

One of the people who is involved & helps with the blends & mfg. of Ults, ERDMs etc that Villizon produces is Emilio Padron. He and Lew and several others go way back together.Lew was going to make up a special cigar and name it in honor of him. The Padrons stepped in and either filed a suit or threatened to that they could not use that name. Lew took it personaly (sp)and vowed on the BB that he would NEVER sell or do business with Padron ever. Sort of like the LaLuna deal he pulled.

husker said:
One of the people who is involved & helps with the blends & mfg. of Ults, ERDMs etc that Villizon produces is Emilio Padron. He and Lew and several others go way back together.Lew was going to make up a special cigar and name it in honor of him. The Padrons stepped in and either filed a suit or threatened to that they could not use that name. Lew took it personaly (sp)and vowed on the BB that he would NEVER sell or do business with Padron ever. Sort of like the LaLuna deal he pulled.
[snapback]268960[/snapback]​

This is the reason that I also heard why JRs doesn't carry Padron products. Lew felt that his friend was being screwed out of some recognition that he deserved. To decide that he won't sell Padron products for this reason shows that Lew has principles.

Although they did not show on-line, JRs used to sell Padrons. You had to call to place an order or visit their B&Ms. The reason they did not show them on their website was that they could not always guarantee that they would have adequate quantities on hand and therefore decided to sell them by phone and in their B&Ms.

Smokyballs said:
Jorge Padron won't allow his product to be whored through the largest wholesaler in the country because he doesn't want the quailty to go to crap. They produce on a small volume(in comparison to the big boys)and can't quite keep up with the demand for regular outlets let alone a monster like JR. Altadis owns JR which is the reason alot of companies won't sell to them. This is also the reason that General has Bolivar back. They own the brand name but contract it out to Rothman. When they sold the company to Altadis they sold the contracts. General has to continue to produce the product under these contracts until they run out. El Rey Del Mundo is one of these. I believe they still have a year left on this contract. I can't wait to be able to buy them from General. I won't buy them for our store because I can't deal with JR. How do you sell something that a customer with a little savy can purchase for the same price that JR sells to retailers? JR is the true DEVIL to B&M. If you order something from the wholesale side they flood the zipcode with their catalogs. F*** JR!
[snapback]268942[/snapback]​

What makes you think that the quality of Padron cigars would "go to crap" if JR Cigars were to sell Padron again? JRs doesn't dictate to cigar makers... those they don't hold rights to, how to make their cigars, how or where to grow their tobacco, what quality or types of tobacco to use, or who to have roll their cigars.

So how would quality suffer?

If this were true, why do other well thought of cigar manufacturers like Fuente, CAO, Perdomo and Toraño allow JRs to carry their brands? Wouldn't the potential exist for their cigars to "go to crap" too? Yet they are still sold by JRs.

By your logic, El Rey del Mundo, one of JR Cigars best selling brands, has gone "to crap" because JRs produces them under contract to General. And that being the case, if they are crap, why do several other on-line vendors and B&M shops still sell them and sell them quite well too? For that matter, what about all of the other cigars that JRs is contracted to produce. Are they all crap too? Sales of most of these cigars suggests otherwise.

You may be correct about the contract issues you mentioned, but I fail to see how quality might suffer. I don't think quality is the issue here and quality is not the reason that Padron is not sold by JR Cigars. It's a case of Lew saying, "Jorge...you're fired! I won't sell your product in my stores". And Jorge rebuts with, "You can't fire me because I quit before you fired me. And I won't supply you my cigars to sell in your store!"

Smokey, make no mistake about my intentions here. I mean you no offense and I'm not trying to cause trouble. I am simply playing the Devil's Advocate here by tossing out these questions. I don't understand some of your statements or why you have made them.

Yeah husker and HBD said what I was going to say. I think this was over the Estelo 75th Anniversary boxes from a couple or three years ago. The Padrons somehow fought over the use of their name even though it was a one time thing and Estelo is Jorge's brother (I think). With Lew and Estelo such good friends, I remember Lew posting he'd never sell another Padron again. I don't think either entity ever needed the other. Seems like no biggie.

husker has it exactly right. Lew will never sell a Padron product due to the dispute they had a few years ago.

Interesting info thanks for making it clear guys. I guess nothing beats the real life drama :blush: