• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fake Cohiba autopsy

Zeebra

Daddy still loves Padrón!
A weird thing happened when I finally decided to cut open one of my fake Cohibas. No scrap tobacco fell out. It was all long filler. Now I'm more confused than ever. Here are pics:

img42111oh.jpg

img42103ws.jpg

Comments?

I guess now you gotta roll it back up and smoke it... :laugh:

Fake ISOM's don't necessarily have to have short filler scrap tobacco. It can be long filler, but made from young, inferior leaves.

Roger that. Some fakes are more heinous than others. That looks like one of the four-dot fakes. If you have any more of those left, you should attempt to smoke one. I would not worry about this one having been potentially a real Cohiba. Although I've not seen as many as the more experienced members of this board, IME, no genuine article has looked the way that one looked.

This has been and continues to be a useful learning experience. However, the next time you're in the market for Sigs, let me know. The anxiety is probably something you could do without.

Doesn't look like it would have been that bad of a smoke.

Have read a couple articles about "the fake Cuban cigars", and as was stated earlier, a lot of them are decent long filler smokes made in the DR, Nic., or even Miami. The "importers" purchase bundles, or pay rollers to roll the smokes to the proper proportions, and then attach all the counterfeit "documentation". I think you see more of the short filler crap Cohibas in the supposed DR "Yellow Bands". Saw one of those that had been dissected and it looked like a large Marlboro.

Where did you get this one Zee? and did that lady ever bring you back any from Cuba?

Ed

Sunward said:
Where did you get this one Zee? and did that lady ever bring you back any from Cuba?

Ed
[snapback]272015[/snapback]​

Hey Sunward,

this is part of the batch that my friend brought back from Cuba. They were purchased at the Breezes Jibacoa resort in Varadero. I have another thread with pics of the Cubans when I was trying to determine if they were fakes.

Zeebra said:
Sunward said:

Ed

Hey Sunward,

this is part of the batch that my friend brought back from Cuba. They were purchased at the Breezes Jibacoa resort in Varadero. I have another thread with pics of the Cubans when I was trying to determine if they were fakes.
[snapback]272017[/snapback]​

Were they purchased from a government store on the resort? Does she have a receipt? or did she buy them on the beach?

Sunward said:
Zeebra said:
Sunward said:

Ed

Hey Sunward,

[snapback]272017[/snapback]​

Were they purchased from a government store on the resort? Does she have a receipt? or did she buy them on the beach?
[snapback]272020[/snapback]​

Link to other thread...

Zee... I think you took apart Wilkey's gifted one by mistake. DOH!!!

The only way of telling if it is really fake is by smoking it. If you have another, light it up and give it a whirl.

ree

Great thread guys. I have a similar process in action with some Esplendidos I purchased a while ago. I am consulting a couple of more experienced local BOTL to help in the experiment/research and will report back.

The reason i was asking, was that resort stores ARE government run stores, so im very surprised that they would try to pull this. As far as authenticity goes, just smoke 'em, we know they are likely Cuban rolled inferior leaves, rolled the purpose of deliberately switching at the counter.

My experience, is that these are not that bad tasting, they cost me about 10% of the government rate when they are upfront about it (a dollar or 2 a stick). Lesson i would take from this, is to buy a FULL sealed box, or have them open a box in front of you. Too bad you never had a chance to even look.

sorry to hear you experienced this, maybe we can get together, this spring and herf, i would be glad to share! :thumbs:

Ed

edited; please PM me the name of the shop

If you leave the glass top box in the sun too long it will effect the taste by restarting the fermentation process. That's why so many Cohibas have a "sick period" ....too long in the sun under glass. :whistling:

jabba said:
Zee... I think you took apart Wilkey's gifted one by mistake. DOH!!!
[snapback]272030[/snapback]​

Hehe, I was definately scratching my head after i took the cigar apart. Not what I expected at all.

There's no chance I'll open up Wilkey's by mistake, it's segragated from the Fauxhibas and it's the only one in cello.

Zeebra said:
jabba said:
Zee... I think you took apart Wilkey's gifted one by mistake.  DOH!!!
[snapback]272030[/snapback]​

Hehe, I was definately scratching my head after i took the cigar apart. Not what I expected at all.

There's no chance I'll open up Wilkey's by mistake, it's segragated from the Fauxhibas and it's the only one in cello.
[snapback]272167[/snapback]​

Okay, so you have a long filler fake Cohiba. :)

Zeebra said:
it's segragated from the Fauxhibas and it's the only one in cello.

Um, I thouht those didn't come in cello? :D

Send one to moki... he can give you the full details if he has the time!!! :)

ckeller52 said:
Zeebra said:

[snapback]272381[/snapback]​

It was put into cello by Wilkey for transport I would imagine.

Zeebra said:
ckeller52 said:
Zeebra said:

[snapback]272381[/snapback]​

It was put into cello by Wilkey for transport I would imagine.
[snapback]272622[/snapback]​

Zee,

That's not a cellophane sleeve. It's a polyethylene baggy I use to ship sticks whether they are in cello or not. That cigar was never in cello and if you find a recent vintage Habanos in cello, it's a fake.