• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

JR CIgar Targets Padron Anniverary Cigars

Ginseng

Banned
I just received the latest JR Cigar catalog (2006 #1) and along with the typical Lew Rothman chuckles, I read two notable statements. These struck a chord especially because of a recent thread on CP that talked about why JR Cigar does not carry Padron products. You can read about it here.

First, on page 2 where Lew talks about the new release from Camacho, the Camacho Negro. The Negro (pronounced "neh-gro") is medium-heavy bodied and comes with a Mexican maduro wrapper and Honduran binder and filler. Prior to making the statement quoted below, Lew talks about the market issues surrounding "rare" cigars.

And that's what this new Camacho cigar is all about: knocking off the Padron Anniversary cigar...and I wanna tell ya something: they've done it!

Then, on page 61 where he talks about a new release from Santa Clara, the Havana Reserve. This is another medium-heavy bodied cigar that also uses Mexican wrapper along with a Mexican binder and Mexican and Nicaraguan tobacco in the filler. This quote comes at the tail end of a brief account of the decline of Mexican cigar brands in the late 1990's.

To me, I believe the closest cigar currently on the market is the Padron Aniversario Maduro, a cigar that sells for 10 to 15 bucks apiece. The Padron is somewhat heavier bodied, but, other than that, it would be hard to tell the difference between the two.

What's your reaction? Do you think Lew is throwing down the gauntlet? Do you think these cigars might be worth trying? Does the prospect of a $2.60 PAM Torpedo analog appeal to you? Anyone up for a blind taste test challenge? :D

Wilkey

Honestly he must be jerking our gherkin! :sign:

Yeah, a Mex 2 buck wanna be PAM :rolleyes:

LMAO :laugh:

Seems like a lot of Shill for yet another unproven brand just trying to ride the wave of the proven classic that is PAM's. Sour grapes me thinks :p

Lew is a joker sometimes... and not because he also sent me some Degree.

Thanks Lew, you saved me $3 on my next Wallymart trip

When the Padron family starts to compare their cigars to JR's lines THEN maybe that would be something to talk about it. My rule of thumb with JR copy is that you know they are over-hyping something when they have printed something. In other words ALL THE FRIGGIN' TIME!

They should sell cars. They could make more per unit and the exhaust would be about the same in many cases.

Right on, Hudson.

Still, the idea of getting 75% of a Pam Torp for 20% of the price is not such a bad thing.

JR's/Lew is a Mexican tobacco pimp (try reading their overly-obvious marketing drivel that was in Smoke magazine about how great the Mexican stuff 'really is')

hudsonvalley said:
My rule of thumb with JR copy is that you know they are over-hyping something when they have printed something.

[snapback]273140[/snapback]​

You nailed it IMHO

IgwanaRob said:
JR's/Lew is a Mexican tobacco pimp (try reading their overly-obvious marketing drivel that was in Smoke magazine about how great the Mexican stuff 'really is')
[snapback]273196[/snapback]​

It also tells why they try to pimp Te Amo stuff so badly... Horrible stuff IMHO! But...marketing to those who don't know is what business is all about. That's why there are such places as Cigar Pass!!! :thumbs:

-Fetter

Speaking of Mexican cigars, I've been reading up on the Turret cigars and there are some good reviews on them. I want to try some Turrets, but I'm not sure whether or not they are really what they are hyped up to be in the reviews that I've read about them.

Lew just can't let it go.

He will carry the "Padron Feud" to his grave...

Makes one wonder how that $2.00 Te Amo compares to his J.R. Ult. Cab... :laugh:

Everyone has different tastes in cigars. Some can tell the difference in very high end cigars and other just enjoy a $2 cigar. If buy and like what JR sells then more power to you. Some of the cigars JR sells is Ok, but that is me. I myself would be able to tell the difference in the Padron, OPUS, Ashton, ISOM becouse I have been smoking for some time now. I myself most likley will not try one becouse in the past have had the one's that claim to be as good and I was very disapointed in what I thought would be a good smoke. Just me but if your game then take the chance.

rangerdoug said:
Everyone has different tastes in cigars. Some can tell the difference in very high end cigars and other just enjoy a $2 cigar.
[snapback]273627[/snapback]​

Ditto...if he/they cant taste the difference, thats fine....but no way in HELL they should even be compared in the same sentance!!! :rolleyes:

Im sorry, but JR is a discrace to the cigar industry... :sign:

IgwanaRob said:

I'm not sure that it was Smoke Magazine unless you're refering to a different article. There was an article in Cigar Magazine written by Steve Saka about cigars made by four of the Mexican cigar manufacturers.

Since that article came out I have smoked some some of the Mexican cigars. I agree that the TeAmo Anniversary smoke was not very good and it is supposed to be their premium cigar. Although some like TeAmo, I'm not one of them.

However, I have smoked several of the Ash line of Mexican cigars and the natural wrapped cigar was very mild and flavorful IMHO considering it was a Mexican puros. Mexican cigars have had a bad reputation in the past and deservedly so. But some of what is coming out now is definitely worth looking into, particularly the Ash line. :D

The A Turrent line has been getting great reviews as was mentioned before. I have put that on my "To Smoke Some Day" list. :)

Herfin Bigdog said:
IgwanaRob said:

I'm not sure that it was Smoke Magazine unless you're refering to a different article. There was an article in Cigar Magazine written by Steve Saka about cigars made by four of the Mexican cigar manufacturers.

MIght have the names confused - whichever one is run by Lew is what I meant :)

(not saying all Mexican's are bad, just that it's obvous he bought a bunch and is using his over-anxious marketing "skillz" a little too obviously ;) )

FWIW, Mexican puros blow. The one thing I noticed about Mexican Puros is that they taste like dirt. So I am sure Mexican tobacco in itself would lend to an interesting nuance not found in most production cigars. But until Mexico makes a drastic change in tobacco policy, Mexican cigars will suffer.

Emo

WOULD NEVER BUY FROM JR CIGARS AGAIN !

Okay, so my husband and I recently purchased cigars from JR CIGARS and had the WORST experience. Thought I would share with you so you don't make the same mistake we made in ordering from them. NEVER EVER AGAIN. Too many other great companies to do business with.

Order Date: 04/03/2010

Question:
I ordered a sampler pack of Punch Double Corona Maduro cigars along with 3 other sampler packs. I received Hoyo De Monterey Double Corona cigars in place of the Punch cigars. I asked my wife to call your customer service because I work nights and sleep during the day.

She called and spoke to Raylene. Raylene gave my wife 3 options: 1. pay for the Punch cigars again and when you receive the cigars back that I didn't order you will credit my account.
2. mail the cigars back and you will send the Punch cigars when you receive the cigars I did not order.
3. return the cigars and receive a credit after you receive the cigars I did not order.

All of these options are unacceptable. The common theme of all 3 options are you sent me cigars I did not order. You better believe I am selecting option number 3. I will never order from you again. I spent the extra m oney for the express shipping for the entire order. Why didn't you apologize for the minor error and make it right by sending out my correct order right away? Raylene told my wife this was your policy and the way that you had to complete the order. My wife called back and asked to speak to a manager. Raylene seemd put out and unwilling to help. She put my wife on indefinite hold twice.

I've done business with you for too long to be treated this way and it's my policy to not do business with disreputable companies. I am going to give you the option to make this right by sending the cigars that I have already ordered and paid for immediately, if not I will take my business elsewhere as well as share my experience with all my cigar smoking friends. I also expect a partial refund for the express shipping. Thank You in advance for your prompt response.