• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Box Clasps

Strayvector

Like what you smoke, smoke what you like
A member from another cigar board shared that when he was using some boxes in his fireplace, he happened to look a the clasp on one of the fake Cohiba boxes. He noticed that the clasp itself was made in Italy. Hi curiosity naturally led him to look at the clasps on the rest of his collection. His research led him to notice that the clasps on all his authentic Cubans were made in Shmale, Germany. He posted and asked if this would be another method of spotting fakes and asked other members to post their findings. So, in turn, I checked mine and noted that they too were made in Germany. Many on the other board checked their clasps and it turns out that all were made in Germany.

Sounds like it could be another aspect to look for when checking for fakes.

How many different brands had these similar clasps? this is going to be interesting. :thumbs:

Rich

Well if you find your clasps are made in America, chances are that it's fake. :laugh:

A guess - the sources for the clasps likely changes all the time based on price and availability, even on the genuine article.

...that is, however, only a guess..... :cool:

Cheers, gents - B.B.S.

seeing as i don't currently have any cuban boxes, are you saying that all the clasps are mark ? tia!

Strayvector
on which other bb was this thread started???i would very much like to read the original thread.

same discussion is going on at vcc...i went and checked(in my easiest to get to coolers only)...6 boxes from '98 all have italy on them...one box from '01 has germany...i have no doubt about the authenticity of all these boxes.

the conclusion reached(at vcc)is that this is a commodity that is tendered year to year as supply dwindles and at any time there may be broaches from italy/germany or wherever.

http://www.vintagecigarclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2940

following this cp thread with interest

derrek :)

Well,

Perhaps the important fact is not the country of origin per se, but rather the origin of any given box compared to the origin of verified authentic boxes. So in other words, not the absolute fact of origin, but any deviation from authenticity.

I base this method of checking on the likelihood that the counterfeiters would not be able to source the clasps from the same company providing them to Habanos S.A. If they can, then all bets are off.

Wilkey

I just checked one of my boxes with clasps.

This is a genuine Habanos Partagas 8-9-8 unvarnished 1996. The clasp is a made in Italy one. Go figure. I have no doubts about the authenticity of these cigars.

Does that mean we are back to sqare one?

I think I saw the same post as Stray and I thought they were referring to Cohibas specifically.. I may be wrong though.

Here's another wrinkle.

I have a BN box of NC LGC Reserva Figurados and the clasp is also made in Schmale, Germany. So, Cuba is not the only producing country to be using clasps made from this company.

Would anyone like to do some Googling to see if they can find out more information about which company this might be?

Well, Wurm? How about it Shawn? Can you help the cause?

Wilkey

I'm working on it...

If I can find out the name of the company I'll give them a call tomorrow.

And Wilkey you sure thats the name of the company or town? Schmale means "little" in German and might just mean the clasp size.

*edit* There is no town or city called "schmale"

I'm headed to my local B&M tomorrow evening to pick up a few Partagas P2s so I'll ask the owner if she will let me check-out a few of the boxes.

See Shawn? You've helped out already. I had no idea what "schmale" meant.

These two words are on the part of the clasp that flips up. It is attached via hinge to the lid.

I will dig a little bit more on my end to see if I can find out any more.

Thanks

kevpriest said:
Schmale is the company itself, I believe:

Schmale Hinges

KevPriest
[snapback]276078[/snapback]​

Nice find, Kev!

Even though this whole issue might turn out to be a red herring, it has been a fascinating little trip.

Wilkey

Since I use sources who are beyond reproach, I never look at hinges, or seals or bands or any other type of packaging. I get my cigars in, I open the box, take a whiff, check the feet of the cigars, and then put them away in my cabinet.

The Master said:
Since I use sources who are beyond reproach, I never look at hinges, or seals or bands or any other type of packaging. I get my cigars in, I open the box, take a whiff, check the feet of the cigars, and then put them away in my cabinet.
[snapback]276218[/snapback]​

I can appreciate that.

However, for the rest of us who are still seeking such certitude it is still, at the very least, an educational exercise. We need to learn how to discern as we yearn to burn.