• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

highest temp at your B&M?

hojadepuro

eschew obfuscation
Wow I was with Razorback the other day and we went to a shop in our home town to see if they might have some different smokes than the B&M we deal with locally. To our amazement we walked into a humidor and noticed it to be a little... stuffy can we say? We looked at the hygrometer and the humidity was reading 85%!!! I dont know if it stays like that or if he just had it up momentarily, but I bet it would have started raining in there if either of us had sneezed.

Curious if you guys have had any similiar experiences and how much of an affect it has on the smokes that high.

Brandon

Most of the local shops in my area have no idea how to properly take care of cigars and if you say anything to them they say that "you need to talk to the manager" who apparently works from home everyday as he is never present. I've seen RH as low as 42% and as high as 79% at said shops.

All I've got to say is if you go to a shop like that, turn around and leave and never go back. I'll spell it out for you: B-E-E-T-L-E-S......... :D :thumbs: :p :sign: :cool:

85% - :laugh: - I would have mentioned something to the manager to get their reaction. That would probably tell you whether it was an anomaly or if they really aren't diligent about the care of their cigars.

stogieman said:
All I've got to say is if you go to a shop like that, turn around and leave and never go back. I'll spell it out for you: B-E-E-T-L-E-S......... :D :thumbs: :p :sign: :cool:
[snapback]292875[/snapback]​

Does high humidity lend itself to beetle infestation? I knew that high temps facilitated hatching but did not know this of humidity.

Care to share some more thoughts on the subject please?

---
bmickey9

I would be more worried about mold at that humidity level. :0

I stopped at a place in COPPELL, TX and had the exact same experience. How much of an effect did it have on the smokes? I personally caught a beetle and handed to the guy at the counter.

I haven't been back since.

I've seen the temp at 79 and the himidity at 78 at one shop. In another, the RH was in the low 40's, and the temp was in the high 70's.

If 85% humidity:
1. Moldy cigars.

If 85% humidity and temps over 70-75F
1. Beetles eating moldy cigars.

In any case, not a good situation.

Wilkey

hojadepuro said:
Wow I was with Razorback the other day and we went to a shop in our home town to see if they might have some different smokes than the B&M we deal with locally. To our amazement we walked into a humidor and noticed it to be a little... stuffy can we say? We looked at the hygrometer and the humidity was reading 85%!!! I dont know if it stays like that or if he just had it up momentarily, but I bet it would have started raining in there if either of us had sneezed.

Curious if you guys have had any similiar experiences and how much of an affect it has on the smokes that high.

Brandon
[snapback]292857[/snapback]​

I believe the temp was 71 in there too. Our biggest problem is this is the only local place we can get Opus, LFD's, and a few other premium smokes. The owner is always at the shop, so is it ok to question him on this?
Nick

Razorback said:
I believe the temp was 71 in there too. Our biggest problem is this is the only local place we can get Opus, LFD's, and a few other premium smokes. The owner is always at the shop, so is it ok to question him on this?
Nick
[snapback]292964[/snapback]​

I would definitely question him about it, or at least make an offhand comment to him about it. He may not be aware of the problem and thank you. Or he could just be a jerk and tell you "you don't know anything about cigars."

I would definitely question him about it, or at least make an offhand comment to him about it. He may not be aware of the problem and thank you. Or he could just be a jerk and tell you "you don't know anything about cigars."

HAHA :sign: If you knew this guy you would know why it would DEFINATELY be the latter. Nick always get into it with this guy about random cigar facts and then ends up paying 31 bucks for 4 small smokes. He would probably tell us to never come back. :laugh:

But for future purchases I will ONLY go back to get an opus, if he has them. Other than that I will buy them online if I need something he has. This guy is a schmoe, he doesnt even have prices on anything. It is just a guessing game when you check out. Probably one of the funnest experiences in a tobacco shop though. :sign:

Brandon

ok I see how to properly do a quote now. Still a CP newb... :whistling:

I went into a shop in Wantagh, NY that had the temp at 102!!!! I told him it's too hot and he said it was supposed to be at the temp. I told him to go online and do a little research. Ya think he did? IDK, I never went back in. I pass by, but won't stop. God damn beetle farmer!!

hojadepuro said:
HAHA :sign: If you knew this guy you would know why it would DEFINATELY be the latter. Nick always get into it with this guy about random cigar facts and then ends up paying 31 bucks for 4 small smokes. He would probably tell us to never come back. :laugh:
[snapback]292979[/snapback]​

What is that about? We never "get into it", we had a discussion about whether Dom Tomas was general cigars or not. He did not believe me when I told him they were a general cigar, but we never got "into it" :sign: . Brandon is right though, I'm afraid telling this guy will get us on his bad side. ???

Nick

Razorback said:
hojadepuro said:
HAHA  :sign:  If you knew this guy you would know why it would DEFINATELY be the latter. Nick always get into it with this guy about random cigar facts and then ends up paying 31 bucks for 4 small smokes.  He would probably tell us to never come back.  :laugh:
[snapback]292979[/snapback]​

What is that about? We never "get into it", we had a discussion about whether Dom Tomas was general cigars or not. He did not believe me when I told him they were a general cigar, but we never got "into it" :sign: . Brandon is right though, I'm afraid telling this guy will get us on his bad side. ???

Nick
[snapback]292991[/snapback]​

Well, if that is the way he is keeping his merchandise I wouldn't mind getting on his bad side because I would never come back. More than likely you’re going to eventually buy a cigar from this guy and it will have beetles, which will infect your whole supply. Just my $0.02.

The only local store that carries a halfway decent selection of cigars has been at 85% both times I have been in. They use a fan driven humidifier that actually left a damp cirle on my jacket after I stood in front of it. You could wipe the condensation off some of the wrappers. Needless to say, I have just resigned myself to the fact that I must buy all my cigars online, which kills if you just want to try one specific cigar.