• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best of the Best - ?

BlindedByScience

Proud Father of a Kearney, NE LEO
Staff member
Review – the “Best of the Best - ?” Chieftain's Choice Cigar Malt and an Anejo #55

Well, maybe “Best of the Best” is a little strong but I can call it the finest paring I’ve had the pleasure to experience as of yet.

I’ll be the first to admit that my scotch knowledge pales in comparison to AVB and many of the other BOTL’s on this board. I’ve been seduced by the Dalmore “Cigar Malt” and found it to be a wonderful, very “in your face” beverage that’s not for the shy; a ton of complex flavors that I really find interesting. It goes great with an equally complex, intense smoke. Don’t misunderstand me, I like it a lot. AVB gave me the opportunity to purchase the Chieftain and I jumped at the chance. I’m a bourbon guy most of the time, but these single malt beverages have really caught my attention.

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating; be it a good Cabernet, a good cigar, or a good whiskey, what grabs my attention is complexity of taste. The “good stuff” has a kaleidoscope of tastes and flavors that change and develop as the experience progresses. This pair did not disappoint.

Let’s start with the Chieftain. It comes wonderfully packed in a wood box. Just opening the package up was an experience. First, the color…a bit of a surprise. Pouring it into the glass shows it to be…almost rose color? Yes, held over a white surface it’s almost a light red color. Definitely not the deep almost opaque amber of the Dalmore Cigar Malt or the usual bourbons I drink. Very interesting…..and then, the aroma. Wow….raspberries? Cherries? Very sweet…very surprising! OK, I can’t take it….time for a sip. As this one rolls over my tounge, the taste almost doesn’t match the smells….it’s a scotch, alright. Interesting….not nearly as “in your face” as the Dalmore but very complex. You get the peat, the rich scotch tastes but then as I drew a little air over my tongue, the sweetness returns. Just amazing. It’s definitely not as “loud” as the Dalmore but seems to be lots more complex. Another sip and the tastes vacillate between the sweet berry tastes and the peaty, scotch flavors. I’m impressed. While this one is 100+ proof, it does not overwhelm with alcohol tastes….just a wonderful bouquet of complex flavors that wander back and forth between the sweet berry flavors and the more expected scotch tastes. This clearly calls for a really fantastic cigar.

And so….the Anejo #55. These are wonderful, rich, smooth cigars. The fine blend of the best of the Fuente fillers with the aged Anejo wrapper makes this line one of my all time favorite smokes. They just do not disappoint. This one had been resting in my humi for a while and was ready for the flame. It got clipped with the Xikar in preparation. I always open up the end of Belicoso shaped cigars to 10-15mm so they will draw; it’s quite a “chop” but it’s always done me well. This cigar’s pre light flavor was the usual fantastic Anejo palate of smells and tastes and the draw was very open. To my preferences….flawless. You just know it’s going to be something special with an Anejo. The anticipation of the intense smells, tastes, and complexities of this paring of smoke and beverage had my hopes running very high. I retired to the deck, and put the torch to the smoke.

The Anejo fired right up with dense, sweet smoke and the burn was the normal razor sharp burn I appreciate. No effort or chasing the burn with the torch required. Anejo’s always kick right in with deep, rich coffee, earthy tastes - very dark and very intense but with some hints of sweetness in the background. Just wonderful. A couple of slow, deliberate mouthfuls of smoke set the stage for a sip of the Chieftain. The scotch and the cigar played against each other…back and forth. The intense flavors of the Anejo and the gentle complexity of the Chieftain. It was interesting that as time progressed, the aroma of the berries dissipated somewhat in the Chieftain, but the sweet tastes were there if you sought them out. I played the scotch and the cigar against each other for better than an hour, and made sure I had a tiny sip of the malt saved for the grand finale when the Anejo finally gave it up and finished off. After I finished them both, I sat on my deck for a while, trying to take it all in. Fantastic…!!!

Only point remaining would be to compare the Dalmore Cigar Malt to the Chieftain. The Dalmore has more carmel, more “punch” to it as far as initial taste intensity but the Chieftain clearly wins in the complexity department. It does take a little more concentration, but the depth of tastes are really amazing and there for the taking. Either can stand alone with no problem, but they clearly pair fantastically with a great smoke. The Chieftain is a very special, very complex beverage that makes you want to concentrate on its flavors, and rewards your efforts. I’m really glad I got to experience it.

…now, the real problem – to stay out of it and save it for special occasions…!! Damn you, AVB…!!.... :p

Best Regards, gentlemen - B.B.S.

NICE review. I didn't get a chance to head out for the cigar malt King B tasting last night, maybe tonight, though.

I think I am going to open up the nose of the chieftan a bit with perhaps half a straw (8-12 drops) of filtered water. natural, or cask, strength scotches tend to hold on to their aromatics too strongly for me until the nose is opened a touch and then agitated a little bit in side a proper nosing/spirits glass. I find that especially with a cigar, this "openess" really contributes to being able to wrap my brain around the flavors.

I hope I get the same wonderful complexity that you did. My mouth is literally watering in anticipation.

Thanks for the great review!

Great review, makes me wish I'd bought one too :laugh:

5 other people bought this too and I was hoping they would comment. I'll be offering this again in the next buy.

5 other people bought this too and I was hoping they would comment. I'll be offering this again in the next buy.
I'll keep my eyes open for this, AVB....have to try something new / different this time.... :thumbs:

Cheers - B.B.S.