• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cutty Sark 25

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Cutty Sark 25 year old blended scotch, 91.4 proof, decanter style bottle, tube packaging, not available in the US, about $175 in the UK or Japan. Red packaging in the UK, Blue in Japan.

The highest scoring of all whiskies tasted at Whisky Magazine's 'Best of the Best' 2003.

Cutty%20Sark%2025.JPG
Cutty_Sark_25.jpg

This is not your father's weak, watered down 4 year old Cutty. Berry Brothers & Rudd have bottled a true winner with this line. Starting with a base of 25 yo and older Macallan, Tamdhu and Glenrothes Single Malts the blender puts all of the art of blending whiskies into this bottling.

Cutty has been around since 1923 and is a better known brand here in the States then the UK. As the sixth largest selling brand here, Cutty has never tried to penetrate the "premium" market like Johnnie Walker or Chivas and has instead concentrated on selling a light colored whisky made with good base single malts for a reasonable price. The one area that most scotch aficionados have a complaint with is that the percentage of single malt in standard Cutty is notoriously low. Not the case with this 25 yo blend.

After the master blender is satisfied with the married mixture, Cutty 25 is rebarreled in Sherry casks for six months to a year, unique in blended scotch.

After doing some yard work, helping my neighbor and generally enjoying the outside, I poured a good splash into my glass, took a CAO Anniversary out for the after tasting notes phase and went out on the deck.

The nosing is solid mix of licorice, sherry, and a touch of mint. Tasting confirms the nosing with some orange and malt entering the mix. The finish is long with a little chocolate showing up at the end.

While the market for high dollar blended scotch isn't large, there is one that is growing here in the US. I'm surprized that Cutty hasn't brought over their flagship bottling for our market. Perhaps the Japanese drink all they can make already. In any case, if you ever decide on something truely unique and don't want the easy to find Johnnie Walker Blue, this Cutty is for you. An ACE! :thumbs:

I can get one in red for the next scotch buy if anyone is seriously interested.