• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do you cut it?

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was out and about on the internet searching for cutters. Not in desperate need of one, as I have a set of Xicars enroute, but sometimes I just like to window shop.

Just outta curiousity, what's everyones favorite way to clip the head? Punch? Guillitine? Bite the damn thing? lol.

The punch intrigues me, but I haven't heard great things about it, I've never used one.

Just curious.

I like to use my punch cutter...convenient (I have one on my lighter).
Sometimes i need to punch the cigar twice,

But, my favorite way now is to use my Xikar Multi-tool. I can control the cut better. I can cut a larger hole, while not fully destroying the cap.

I like to cut off as little as possible.

reposted, 'cuz I'm lazy....

A cigar torcedor (roller) in the Dominican Republic showed me something that should be completely obvious, but I'd just overlooked it.

He handed me a cigar that he'd rolled, and told me to smoke it. I asked him if he had a cutter or punch, and he looked at me like I was being stupid... he dug his thumbnail into the cap of the cigar, and with a quick flip, he tore off a small hole in the cigar, and handed it back.

"duh" :)

A cap is just that... a cap on the top of the rolled cigar. With many vitolas, you don't need anything at all to smoke your cigar, just flick part of the cap off and light it up.

Obviously it doesn't work very well with torpedos, but any vitola with a flat cap, it works quite well if the cigar is properly rolled. If you think about the way a cigar is constructed, it makes perfect sense, and it makes the fancy cutters/punches we all have rather superfluous

I have both, a punch and cutter (new Xikar xi3 just given to me :)) I used to use a punch 99% of the time, with the exception of torpedos. But it seems with a clean cut, I am gettig a better smoking experience.

When I was first started to smoke I would use a punch because I was afraid of cutting to far up and ruining it. Now that I have a little more experience I pretty much only use a guillitine. I might try this "flicking" the cap off that moki posted.

I always use a cheap two dollar double blade cutter, and I like to cut as little as possible off, unless the draw is still tight, in which case I cut some more.

Brandon

I normally use a 2 blade cutter and just nip the cap off.
Of late I've found myself on the course w/o a cutter so I've just taken the cap off with a nip of my teeth or just a flip of the cap.
I've actaully come to like the idea of just taking off the cap...less 'crap' comes off the cigar when I smoke!

Gary

Nice post Moki! thanks

....and I like to cut as little as possible off, unless the draw is still tight, in which case I cut some more....
...to each his own. I use a Xikar and give the cap a healthy "chop" to open up the gar and let it draw. I get the best taste and fewer burn issues this way.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

....and I like to cut as little as possible off, unless the draw is still tight, in which case I cut some more....
...to each his own. I use a Xikar and give the cap a healthy "chop" to open up the gar and let it draw. I get the best taste and fewer burn issues this way.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

I'd rather cut to little off than to much. Atleast if you don't cut enough off you can always cut more, but I find it is rather hard to glue the cigar back together if you cut to much off. Plus super glue doesn't make the cigar taste good. :laugh:

I use a single-blade guillitine. I'm thinking about upgrading to a two-blade, though. Cutting certain cigars with the cheapie single-blade is like hacking through the jungle with a butter knife. Related story: I was real young when I smoked my first, and I was as clueless about the cutter as I was about girls. I chopped that cigar about an inch above the cap! I might as well have been eating salad. I remember telling people how strong the flavor was. No kidding it was strong, I ate half of it!

I'm a double blade guillotine guy myself, but a buddy of mine has a 4 blade guillotine i thought was nice. Maybe a bit over the top though.

Tried the "pop the cap" method tonight on my RP Connecticut with failure, lol. Didn't want to come off.

Palio is what I use.

I recently got a lighter w/ a Punch in it, so I'll have to try to Punch a few.

I used to punch, no so much any more. I used to double guillitine, not so much any more. I Xicar and SAK (thanks Geldor1). I love the acuracy that the SAK gives you, pretty much awesome. The wood on my Xicar is coming off so I don't bring it around in the pocket much anymore, it just stays in the car, for the just in case moments :)

I'm a double blade guillotine guy myself, but a buddy of mine has a 4 blade guillotine i thought was nice. Maybe a bit over the top though.

Tried the "pop the cap" method tonight on my RP Connecticut with failure, lol. Didn't want to come off.

Moki did not mention that "pop the cap" requires a sexy lady with well manicured finger nails employed solely to POP YOUR CAP :laugh:

Brian