• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tamdhu 18 Single Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Tamdhu 18 yo Single Highland Malt, 700ml, tube packaging, 86 proof, not available in the US. This Tamdhu was made for the French market but can be found in other parts of the EU. About $70 in country.

Tamdhu-18.jpg

A sampler of this dram was sent to me by Wurm and since he went to all that trouble I figured now is a good time to review it. As per normal, Sunday was devoted to yard work although I didn't get as much as I wanted to done because of the wind. This has got to be the most windy winter and spring in memory. I wanted to sit on the deck but with all the leaves blowing around I was chased inside the garage with glass in hand.

Tamdhu is fairly new as distilleries go having been built in 1897 and now has six stills mostly supplying J&B, Famous Grouse and Cutty Sark blends.

The nose is somewhat floral and a little spicy mixed with a sweet and slightly smoky character. Tasting shows a little pear with a cloying sensation of sweetness, a nice little bit of complexity and some smoke in the background. The finish is lingering and pleasant but not overly long with some woodiness at the end.

Tamdhu 18 is a nice, albeit, unremarkable dram. Like the 10 yo version this is still very much a beginners scotch with a good flavor, decent sweetness and a limited complexity that won't overpower a new scotch drinker.

Thanks for the review, :thumbs:

I, to be totally honest, like the 10 year-old better now that I've drank almost both bottles empty.

I sorta agree in that the 10 yo is a better buy IMO.

The 18 year-old is first off too expensive. You can buy two bottles of the 10 for the same price.

and the extra 8 years of aging have made it too mellow. The 10 has a bite to it (its more intense) that the 18 year old is lacking. With the first couple of glasses I thought the 18 was better than the 10, but as I started to compare them side to side I realized I liked the power of the 10 more than the refined taste of the 18.

And 2 bottles in the bar is always better than 1.

I pretty much agree with Wurm except about the 18 being too expensive. $70 for an 18 yo is really not a bad price.

I pretty much agree with Wurm except about the 18 being too expensive. $70 for an 18 yo is really not a bad price.

Well I meant "too expensive" due to the fact you can get 2 bottles of the 10 year-old for the same price. As far age vs price goes you are correct sir.