• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Littlemill 18 yo Lowland Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Littlemill 18 yo Lowland Scotch, Gordon & Macphail Connoisseurs Choice bottling, box packaging, 700ml, standard bottle, distilled 1985 - bottled 2005 (I don't know why it is listed as only being 18 yo), about $51 in the UK, unavailable in the US at the time I bought it but it now can be found for $60-80 plus shipping (750ml bottle).

Littlemill%201985.JPG

Littlemill had a good claim to being the oldest distillery in Scotland with proof dating all the way back to 1750, has been closed since 1992 and while there are still a fair amount of stocks available it is slowly running out. There were plans to re-open as a museum and a single still distillery; these were put to rest in a fire that destroyed the buildings in 2004.

Littlemill and Auchentoshan are considered Lowland drams because of their location only. Both are just across the Lowland/Highland line however, both get their water and malt from the highlands. Still, they produce a Lowland style of scotch that can be quite good when done correctly. Littlemill is interesting in that it has stills unlike any other in Scotland. These stills are copper as almost all the others but have outer skins of aluminum as lagging and they have rectifying columns instead of the swan-necks normally used on pot-stills. This combines pot and column-still elements unique to Littlemill. The Japanese have actually copied this style of still for most of their whiskey production.

Littlemill is the last of the three types of scotch produced at the distillery. They did make a very unusual heavily peated lowland called Dumbuck and a "full flavored" dram called Dunglass for a time until the early 70's. Signatory bottled the last known barrel of Dunglass in 2004, at $1,000 a bottle.

The color in the bottle and even more so in the glass is a pale yellow, much lighter color then even a Coors Light! Hard to believe this sat in a bourbon cask for 18 years. Most likely, the lightest dram I own.

Nosing is fruity and oak underneath with a soft maltiness wafting out of the glass. The first taste is soft, smooth and surprisingly peachy! Oak and malt are not very strong and really don't come out much. The finish continues the softness and the peaches slowly fade away in a medium long length of time.

This is pretty much a normal Lowland dram except for the strong peachiness in the tasting. I haven't run across this in such strength before and that makes this a bit unique. I can't say run out and buy this but is goes down easy and is different if that is what you want in your next bottle. It grows on ya :)

I get the feeling that nobody has even heard of Littlemill. :(

I've seen so many different names, I'm surprised I can remember them at all. But this one, I havent at all. Its been a long 3 years since I have seen a real Scotch place. :(