• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mojito Recipes

BrewMeister

The Titus Pullo of CP

Hello all,

I've been experimenting with Mojito recipes after HectorTMC recently made me a few.

Here is my basic by the glass recipe derived from HectorTMC's initial serving:
  • 1. Wash a few leaves of fresh mint and grind them a bit with a mortar and pestle.
  • 2. Wash out the mortar and pestle with the crushed leaves using a 1 to 1½ ounces of *simple syrup into a large glass (16 oz) with ice. (*Dissolve one cup sugar in one cup of boiling water to make the syrup)
  • 3. Stir in 1 to 1½ ounces of Key Lime Juice.
  • 4. Add 1 to 1½ ounces of light rum. (Matt R recommends: Clarke's Court, Cruzan, Pitu Cachaca or Ron Matusalem Platinum (not the Cuban kind).)
  • 5. Top off with club soda and garnish with mint and a slice or two of fresh lime.
  • 6. Enjoy with a great smoke on a hot afternoon. :)
I tend to adjust the ingredients to taste, with a bit of trail and error.

FYI - Mr. Robusto recipe from 2003.

Hey,
You should come to the New England Mojito herf and make these up for the mojito contest. They are pretty close to the recipe I finally got worked out last night. Just different rum, and a few other slight variations/additions. I'll let you knwo when/if a date is set for the herf.
Looks tasty.

I'll have to try one of these with a cigar because, in my experience, cigars don't go too well with anything citrousy, like 7-Up or any fruit juices.

Thanks for the recipe... :thumbs:

I'll have to try one of these with a cigar because, in my experience, cigars don't go too well with anything citrousy, like 7-Up or any fruit juices.

Thanks for the recipe... :thumbs:

I thought that also, however, a Mojito should be more on the sweet side of the palate rather than the on the citrusy side... IMO.

Stay away of the clear rum. I like the flor de cana 5 year. Nice flavor. Also, if you have some sweet tea, put about 1 oz in a serving. Adds an interesting taste.

Good thread!

For a wedding present, my best man got me a book on Cuban Recipes, "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen".

I used to love the Cuban sandwhiches and Black Beans and Rice his Mom used to make everytime I visited him.

Interesting on the different spins of Mojito recipes. Here is the book version:

2 ice cubes
Juices of 1 lime
2 drops Angostura bitters
2 ounces Bacardi light rum
Splash of sparkling mineral water
1 fresh mint leaf for garnish

place ice in a chilled cocktail glass, add the remaining ingredients, except mint leaf, stir and garnish with mint leaf.

Makes 1 drink

I will be assembling ingredients most likely tomorrow to give this one a try and then try yours Brewmeister.

I tried making a couple last night. Very enjoyable, I may get used to these.

Question for all you mojito lovers: I tried a mojito once a while back, and I had some real texture issues with all that crap floating around in my drink. Am I the only one who's ever had this issue, or does anyone have a great mojito recipe that's a little more clean i.e. I don't have chopped up leaves and such swimming in my drink?

For how much everyone raves about them, I really ought to give them another shot.

Question for all you mojito lovers: I tried a mojito once a while back, and I had some real texture issues with all that crap floating around in my drink. Am I the only one who's ever had this issue, or does anyone have a great mojito recipe that's a little more clean i.e. I don't have chopped up leaves and such swimming in my drink?

For how much everyone raves about them, I really ought to give them another shot.

Not having a mortar & pestle at home, I place the leaves at the bottom of the glass and poke at them with a fork. Then I swirl the damaged leaves around the sides of the glass. This has worked well for me in releasing the mint oils without shredding the leaves. Every now and then something will break off though, a mojito isn't a clean drink.

I am with you there Andy. I have had them when the leaves are chopped. It sucks. So here is how I make mine.

6-10 mint leaves depending on size.
Place them on a hard surface (I use a cutting board). I them roll over them with the back of a spoon and then toss them into the glass.

I cheat here with lime juice from a bottle. Just squeze in enough to cover the leaves.

A shot of rum.

A shot of simple syrup. I make my own with a mixture of 1 part sugar to 2 parts water in an old tonic water bottle. It will keep in the fridge and you will always have some on hand.

Add some ice and top with soda water.

It makes a great drink on a warm day.

Hello all,

I've been experimenting with Mojito recipes after HectorTMC recently made me a few.

Here is my basic by the glass recipe derived from HectorTMC's initial serving:
  • 1. Wash a few leaves of fresh mint and grind them a bit with a mortar and pestle.
  • 2. Wash out the mortar and pestle with the crushed leaves using a 1 to 1½ ounces of *simple syrup into a large glass (16 oz) with ice. (*Dissolve one cup sugar in one cup of boiling water to make the syrup)
  • 3. Stir in 1 to 1½ ounces of Key Lime Juice.
  • 4. Add 1 to 1½ ounces of light rum. (Matt R recommends: Clarke's Court, Cruzan, Pitu Cachaca or Ron Matusalem Platinum (not the Cuban kind).)
  • 5. Top off with club soda and garnish with mint and a slice or two of fresh lime.
  • 6. Enjoy with a great smoke on a hot afternoon. :)
I tend to adjust the ingredients to taste, with a bit of trail and error.

FYI - Mr. Robusto recipe from 2003.

Oh yeah!!
Just made my first Mojito at home... got a bartending set to have the right tools (muddler, juicer, etc...) and a bottle of Havana Club (Thanks Zeebra and Ginseng!)

Fresh lime juice is a huge plus I think... made one with bottled lime concentrate and it was not the same. Same goes for quality rum... Bacardi just didn't cut it!

Oh hell Yes... I'm now the hero of my Wifely Unit© again! (don't ask... Iost that honor a bit ago... :( )

Next stop- a spiced peach mojito a local place makes, with Capt Morgans and Peach liquor... schnapps perhaps.

Angostura bitters is supposedly the key ingredient to make them the "Cuban" way. Works for me. I added bitters to a batch I made recently, they turned out really good. Also, you can sub white tequila for rum, good stuff.

here's a twist on Mojito's I found tonight. Mary and I had a nice dinner at a local 'fancy' place, and they had a 'Spiced Peach' mojito on the menu. Well, naturally we had to try it! It was pretty damn tasty! I even managed to finagle my way into the recipe!

Muddle 5-7 mint leaves
½ oz Peach Schnapps
1 oz Capt Morgan's Spiced Rum :love:
3 oz simple syrup (or less depending on tastes, but bartender said most like it a little sweeter)
juice of 1 lime FRESH SQUEEZED
Ice
top with club soda

can't wait to sample these on a really hot day! (ok... 80 degrees is really hot here)

Gonz and other objectors of having to chew a drink....

They make a tool called a "muddler" that is designed to tear the mint leaves a bit, but still leave them whole enough so they don't become a limp, throat-clogging mess. The leaves should be sort of massaged into giving up their flavors, not mashed into a pulp.

Here's a quick demonstration video from the Bacardi site: linky

It's Mojito time somewhere!

Oh yeah!!
Just made my first Mojito at home...

+1. :love:

After a week of drinking this great drink in Cuba, I figured I would try to duplicate the recipe.

It turned our perfect IMO. :D

Here is what I used.....

1 ounce simple syrup
2 stems of fresh mint
1 1/2 ounces Havana Club Blanco Rum
Juice of 1 lime
1 dash Angostora Bitters
Club soda
Lots of ice

Notes:

- For those with no access to Cuban rum... any cheap dominican or Jamacan rum will likely work just as well. My bottle of Havana Club was $3 at the Veradero Airport, it ain't really that good compared to other non-Cuban rum IMO.

- fresh lime juice is much better than concentrate or bottled juice.

- The bitters are the least important ingredient and not necessary but cuts down on the sweetness.

- For simple syrup I use 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water and simmer over medium heat until clear. I fill an empty 500ml water bottle and keep it in the fridge for a few weeks.

- muddle the mint well in the lime juice and simple syrup. Squishing the mint vigorously with a spoon is fine and I don't own a "muddler" and the mint breaks down fine with a spoon.

Enjoy!

16oz glass just isn't big enough.. I make mine in 24oz beer glasses. There's supposed to be a little spritz from the club soda. But if you like your drinks stronger than the average fella, you can't get enough club soda in to give the spritz.

I can drink a 16 oz glass in mere seconds and then have to make another.

May I suggest making pitchers!