• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Caol Ila 10yo Cigar Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Caol Ila 10yo Single Cask Cigar Malt. Old Malt Cask Bottling, 200ml bottle, no other packaging. 100 proof, $33 imported, not available in the US.

Caol%20Ila%20Cigar%20Malt.JPG

These bottles say right on the label "A single cask bottling for a fine cigar's pleasure" and "Rather Smoky" which I find interesting.

A you can see in the pic, these are just little bottles but belay a big taste. Drawn from a single bourbon hogshead cask (63 gallons instead of the usual 53 gallon barrel) and cut to 100 proof from about 120 or so. Since this bottle arrived today I couldn't wait to try it and I hope that the others who ordered one will post their comments too once they make it into their hands.

Being a small bottle this has a twist off cap with a plastic sealer on the inside, a system that actually works better then the old cork in the cap but one that may turn off some purists.

Nosing is exactly what is printed on the label, earthy, oily and smoky. I also notice some vanilla and grasses. No alcohol is present at all and you can almost chew the thick aroma in the glass. Tasting neat, the true Islay flavors jump out. Flowery, Tary (like Tar), spice and peat smoke are all well balanced with a tiny bit of alcohol. The finish is lingering smoke that just rolls of the tongue for a very long time.

This is a little sweeter then other Caol Ilas I've had but I didn't notice it until I compared it to the two other ones I have. It isn't something that is noticed by itself though. It is also unlike any other cigar malt I've had since almost all of them are Speyside based. So how does it go with a cigar you're asking? To test I pulled out a 4 year old Opus Petit Lancero from a trade with BigHD100 a few years ago. This dram calls for a stick with some backbone and while it isn't the strongest cigar I have it'll do :D

While not an Opus whore by any means I have to say that this was a great combination. The spice and smoke of the dram matched the spice and smoke of the stick. The smokiness of the peat complimented and enhanced the Opus unlike any other drink I've tried. I went back to some Caol Ila 18 to compare and the Cigar Malt was a noticeably better match.

If you like the big Islay taste this is well worth it even if you don't smoke a cigar with it. I like it....A LOT. :thumbs: I only wish it came in a full size bottle.

I'll be looking for some input from Gandolf565, Smokyballs, Sack and BBS in the next week or so :)

I thought of picking some up when I am in Scotland next. Which if all goes well next month. :laugh: If not, I will have to wait till Xams time. Oh darn.

I have just the cigar for it too :)

Thanks for making it possible!

i have that same opus lancero to go with the caol, can't wait to compare your notes with mine, thanks AVB! :cool:

i have that same opus lancero to go with the caol, can't wait to compare your notes with mine, thanks AVB! :cool:

Wait a week, it'll change :p

Looks like I got something to review. But I think Ray might have a couple, three things to get reviewed!

Can't wait - you can bet I'll post some comments when the goods arrive...!!

Thanks again for the opportunity, AVB - :thumbs:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

I had a little present from the USPS today! Thanks Ray. This is pretty good stuff. I would agree that it's a little sweeter than the Signatory 1979 Caol Ila I have but not that much different! This was a little less peaty and quite a bit more fruity. I went very well with the Cohiba Siglo VI from '04 that I smoked with this. I would agree that I need a little bigger bottle so it doesn't evaporate from the bottle to my glass so quickly :D ! Good choice for the the group buy!

Rather than make a new thread, I will add my impressions here.

This liquor is a pale yellow in color, and at first nosing it smells familiar, similar to phenolic, or bakelite plastic, there are sweet/fruity undertones, but the phenolic smell is what really grabs my attention. I poured this over ice.

I chose to pair this with a Tatuaje Cojonu 2003, a cigar that I enjoy very much and am quite familiar with. It is my thought that I could see how the Scotch alters my palate in regards to this cigar.

After allowing the Scotch to breath a bit and some of the ice to melt the phenolic smell has subsided, letting the fruity smells come to the foreground.

The taste is interesting, somewhat sweet, smoky, with a suprising viscous quality that coats your mouth.

The effect on the cigar is quite surprising as well, it really mellows out this quite strong cigar. I am glad I chose this one as a milder cigar would likely be overwhelmed paired with this whisky.

The alcohol content is quite strong, I have caught a nice little buzz :) I'm not a regular drinker, so your mileage may vary.

All in all I would call this a pleasurable experience. Two thumbs up! :thumbs:

Thanks AVB!

Glad you liked it, I know how hard it is to buy something on faith.

Well,
I tried this last night during poker.
Now, this was my first scotch experience! I poured three fingers over 2 cubes of ice.
To me this had a very smoky taste to it! For me, it was almost overwhelming! Being the newbie that I am, that was about the only thing I could taste.
Do you guys think that this one should have been the first scotch I tried?
Thanks again AVB!

David

Islay malts are not what I would recommend for a new scotch drinker but there is nothing like jumping off the deep end . :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:D LOL!
Ok AVB, I'm sure this has been covered a lot, but what would you recommend I try for try #2?
I'm not giving up!!! ;)

Thanks!
David

The search function is your friend.

Well,
Now, this was my first scotch experience! I poured three fingers over 2 cubes of ice.
To me this had a very smoky taste to it! For me, it was almost overwhelming! Being the newbie that I am, that was about the only thing I could taste.
Thanks again AVB!

David
Over ice??? ???

Neat, with water or over ice are perfectly acceptible ways of drinking scotch. Mixing with Dr. Pepper is not.

Well,
Thanks again AVB!

David
Over ice??? ???

Yep... over ice!

David