• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Glenrothes 1972 Limited Release

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Glenrothes 1972 Limited Release, 32 yo, short dumpy bottle, wrap-around open sided packaging, 750ml, 86 proof, about $220

Glenrothes%201972.jpg

A nice "finders fee" sample from Smokyballs arrived at my door and I was interested to see how it compares to the 1974 version I already reviewed. Smoky was looking for one of these and I pointed him to a pretty good price. I'll be sending him a sample of the 1974 so he can do his own comparison too.

As I mentioned before, if you haven't had any Glenrothes you are missing out. While the 1972 and 1974 Limited Releases are supposed to be the best ever Glenrothes according to the Wine Enthusiast(2004), they have others that are good in their range. The 1992 11 yo is also quite good IMO at about $65.

Like the '74 there is a fleeting similarity to old Balvenie. The nose has the same malt, vanilla, spice and orange mix as the '74 but with a touch more spice. Tasting is a pleasure with barley and toffee swirling together and there seems to be a little more soft fruit sweetness then the '74 version. The finish is long with oak showing up on the sides of the tongue after making its way through the sweetness.

Overall an outstanding dram with a few minor differences compared to the '74. Considering it is double the price I'd have to go with the '74 on a cost basis but they are almost equally as good in the glass. The nod going to the '74 by the slimmest of margins for being more balanced. If I had to score this it would be 96-94, they are that close.

Thanks Smokyballs for the sample and I hope you enjoy yours when it arrives.

This review has me drooling, it looks like a quest is in order,even though illinois seems to have a broad range of alcoholic this one i have'nt seen. THANKS AVB! :love: :cool:

Which one are you questing after, the '72 or the '74?

'74 sounds like you get more bang for the buck, plus it sounds deelish. :cool:

They are both a pain to come across. I'm looking forward to the '74! I got alot of orange out of the '72. I need to get that bottle out of the store before it disappears! :D

They are both a pain to come across. I'm looking forward to the '74! I got alot of orange out of the '72. I need to get that bottle out of the store before it disappears! :D
LUCKY YOU! :p :cool:

These have been some of my consistent favorites. I wish I could find another bottle of the 74. I have no glenrothes in my collection right now....it just doesn't seem to last very well in the CT climate. I tell my wife all the time that some of my favorite scotches come with bad corks...the evaporation is just terrible...

These have been some of my consistent favorites. I wish I could find another bottle of the 74. I have no glenrothes in my collection right now....it just doesn't seem to last very well in the CT climate. I tell my wife all the time that some of my favorite scotches come with bad corks...the evaporation is just terrible...
:laugh: