• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laphroaig Quater Cask

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Laphroaig Quarter Cask Single Islay Malt, 750ml, 96 proof, tube packaging, about $45-50.

Laphroaig%20Quater%20Cask.JPG

A little history of a the quarter cask from Laphroaig itself:
"In the early days of the 19th century whisky was often transported by mule or packhorse. The whisky would be placed into small ‘quarter casks’ and await collection (less charitable historians suggest it was more to do with avoiding the duty officer as it enabled the distiller to use cattle paths!). "

They continued with:

"Recent Professional studies conclude that up to 50% or more of a whiskies aroma and flavour development, occurs during the maturation process. Now the smaller the barrel used, the stronger the oak influence will be, due to the hugely increased oak surface contact compared, to the small amount of whisky they contain. In the case of a quarter cask it is 30% greater than our standard barrels! - Furthermore these quarter casks ‘breathe’ far more deeply (the angels share) drawing in much more of the local air to infuse with the whisky.""

So how much is a quarter cask you ask? A quarter cask usually refers to a quarter of a hogshead which in turn is twice the size of a standard barrel so a quarter cask is really half of a standard barrel. (US measurements since most whisky uses our barrels)

It says on the bottle "Best savoured with a little water" but I didn't find that the case and liked it much better neat and this review is based on drinking it neat.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask doesn't have an age statement on it but is thought to be about 6-8 years old, in any case it is old enough to do the job and do it exceedingly well. The nose is the classic Laphroaig, a mixture of iodine, peat and tar but now has a good dollop of oak in the mixture. Tasting show a more oaky and sweet Laphroaig then one might be used to with the standard 10 or 15 yo. it isn't quite so peaty as the 10 yo version but is still well within the likings for a peat phreak. This is also smoother then the age or proof would have lead you to believe. The finish is another big one. A balance between sweetness and smoke with a huge amount of complexity. A very slight drying in the center of the tongue ends the experience minutes later.

If you like peaty malts this should be on your shelf. An ACE! :thumbs:

No comments Loren? And you call yourself Mr. Peat ???

mmmmmm Laphroaig :love:
This sounds like some good stuff. Kind of surprising that it is sweet and less peaty though.

Doesn't Lagavulin make a Cask Strength as well? Wonder how that measures up…

Anyway...
Thanks for the review :thumbs:
Keep 'em coming

Lagavulin put out a 12 yo cask strength (115.6 proof) about 2 years ago. It was about $100 here then but you can't find it for under $150 now which is too much IMO. I finished mine with a little help from Scotch Herf 1 and didn't get around to doing a review. I still have my notes so maybe I'll post it up someday.

I can get you one in the next scotch buy for about $100 give or take a few bucks depending on what the exchange rate is.

Edit: There is also a Lagavulin 25 cask strength that I forgot about and that is in the $300 area.

Anyway...
Keep 'em coming

Is the next GB soon? :cool:

Lagavulin put out a 12 yo cask strength (115.6 proof) about 2 years ago. It was about $100 here then but you can't find it for under $150 now which is too much IMO. I finished mine with a little help from Scotch Herf 1 and didn't get around to doing a review. I still have my notes so maybe I'll post it up someday.

I can get you one in the next scotch buy for about $100 give or take a few bucks depending on what the exchange rate is.

Edit: There is also a Lagavulin 25 cask strength that I forgot about and that is in the $300 area.

Anyway...
Keep 'em coming
:0 WOW that packs a punch. Definitely put me down for one :D
I would like to read your tasting notes on it as well, I’ll keep an eye out for when you post them.
Thanks AVB :thumbs:

Thanks for the link. I try to include other reviews but forgot to look this time. Always good to have more than one opinion.

very nice review, AVB.

After years of Speysides and Highlands, I finally jumped into the Islays with this one, and I must concur with your overall review... an ACE!

This was my birthday bottle last year . . . just finished it a few weeks ago. Great review of some stellar, stellar tipple, Ray.

~Boar

This has been a Laphroaig kind of week for me. Today I had the 15. Yesterday it was the QC, and three days ago the 30. Man this stuff is good!

Since I've done reviews on both the 15 and the 30 you can always add your thoughts to those threads.

This has been a Laphroaig kind of week for me. Today I had the 15. Yesterday it was the QC, and three days ago the 30. Man this stuff is good!

Ok. I'll have a bit of the 15 again tonight and give my opinion, then do the 30 this weekend.

I have to note that this is an excellent dram. I am about 1/2 way through my bottle of this and am very impressed. I am also about to polish off my first bottle of 10yo Cask Strength. My opinion if you like the QC try the CS it will knock your sox off.

You can't go wrong with the either but, I found the CS was one of my all time favorites and at $55 a bottle it is one of the best buys I have come across. :thumbs: Belive it or not I like the 10yo cask more than my laga 16yo. This bottle really got a hold of me.

If you are thinking about pulling the trigger wait no longer these bottles are that good. :thumbs:

Great review...just got turned on to Laphroaig about a year and half ago after being a Lagavulin guy for years...you can't beat the quality and pricepoint when you compare... thanks for more knowledge AVB- will be looking for this bottle when I get back stateside....he says while drooling uncontrollably....lol