• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glen Garioch 10yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Glen Garioch (say Glen Gee-ree) 10 yo Highland Single Malt Scotch, 750ml, 80 proof, tube packaging, about $16-20.

Glen%20Garioch%2010.jpg

Glen Garioch is one of the Morrison-Bowmore distilleries which in turn is owned by Suntory of Japan. This is the same whiskey, albeit 5 years older, as McLelland's Highland.

Glen Garioch is here only because of the thirst of the scotch consumer as Suntory wanted to sell it having closed it in 1994. Since no buyer could be found and whisky comsumption was up they reopened it in 1997. Most of the production is used in the Morrison-Bowmore blends, espscially Rob Roy.

Glen Garioch is different then most highland whiskies in that it is peated. Not the "in your face" peat of Laphroaig but peated nonetheless. The matlings are toasted over a peat fire for only 4 hours so the smokiness is just an addition to the flavor instead of the main component. Glen Garioch is one of the few distilleries to still use floor maltings the old way instead of doing it in large drums as most distilleries do today.

After a beautiful day, a great dinner and A DCM #4 I went out on the deck with my glass of Glen Garioch . The nose is fairly clean with the typical honey of a highland mixed with peat and flowering apples. Tasting brings out some of the maltiness along with the expected honey and a slight drying on the top of the tongue. The finish is clean but suprisingly peppery and spicey lasting for a medium length of time.

Given that Glen Garioch 10 yo is in the same price range as the younger McClelland's it is a no brainer to buy this one instead. Another one to put on your "everyday" dram list.

This offering sounds like something i would be interested in, and at this price range i can use it to bomb certain people. Is this available nationally? Thanks AVB! :cool:

AFAIK you should be able to find this nationwide.

I checked a few places around the country and it was available. Might not be at the corner liquor store though.

Binny's is not too far from here. Muchas Gracias! :cool:

Have had this last winter a few times.I still see it in two stores and usually buy this every now and then still.
Thanks for the review.