• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Benriach 10 yo Highland Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Benriach 10 yo Highland Scotch, 86 proof, box packaging (really strong box at that) ,750ml standard bottle, about $40-45.
(Sorry for the bad pic, camera problems)

Benriach-10.jpg

While Benriach has been around since 1898, it is only in the last 12 years that it has been available as a single malt. Even in that short time it was closed for 3 years between 2001 and 2004 before reopening again. It has been a hard road for Benriach, since after being open only for 2 years it was closed down for the next 65 years. However, the maltings remained open for the Longmorn distillery located across the road and this kept the buildings in use until the next reopening in 1965. Most of the production goes into 100 Pipers and Chivas blends. They also make a 10 yo peated version called Benriach Curiositas and an even older 21 yo peated malt called Benriach 'Authenticus' that is very good.

It finally stoped raining long enough to cut the jungle that was once my lawn. It was so long that I had to do a double cut to make it look back to normal. Such effort deserves a nice stick and a dram while relaxing on the deck.

Benriach is a nice light yellow gold color in the bottle and lightens up even more in the glass. It noses a malt with orange citrus and a cerealiness (is that a word?) underneath. Tasting backs up the nose and brings in some nutty flavors that continue well into the finish. The finish is quite long with the malt and nuts lasting almost to the end. I found out by a lucky chance that this seems to improve if left to sit in the glass for 10-15 minutes before drinking. Overall, I would place this as a fine after dinner or desert dram. Not outstanding, but few are, just a good solid midrange scotch.

Thanks for the review,I almost bought this last week.I will give it a shot if it is still on sale.

It's on closeout for $40 here in PA..

2? I must have really written a good review :)

I picked up a bottle of 15yo "rum cask" Benriach to take to my parents house this weekend for $88. Was told it'd be close to the Balvenie 17yo rum cask. I hope they're right. Ever have it, AVB?

I've not had the Rum casked version but I do hope it is better than the Balvenie 17 Rum Cask, I wasn't too impressed with that one. I'll be looking for your review.