• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Arran Malt, 10 yo Isle of Arran Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Arran Malt, 10 yo, 750ml, 92 proof, box packaging, tall standard style bottle,about $45-50.

Arran%2010.JPG

The Arran is the only distillery on the Isle of Arran and is one of the newest scotch distilleries built having been founded in 1995. This 10yo is the oldest of their releases so far.

The wife and I took a quick trip to Philly today for my neice's confirmation. Upon returning a nice dram was in order to make up for the 5 hours of driving there and back. I picked The Arran becuase I thought it would be a light malt and go well as an aperitif before dinner.

My thoughts were absolutely correct, The Arran is a vey light golden yellow in the bottle and even lighter in the glass. The nose is bright and grassy with a hint of pears way in the background. You know that this is a somewhat young spirit. First tasting brings up a good tingle on the tongue, much more then I would have thought for something only 92 proof. Once that dies down a nice sweet malt with aged apples comes out. With a few drops of water the tingle is far less and a slight chocolate flavor appears along with the maltiness. The finish is on the short side with a nice spiciness.

Overall this malt does better with a bit of water and even better if that water is in the form of an icecube. The dram seems young even at 10 years old and will only get better as time goes on. Until the next release, at 12 years old, this makes a decent daily dram for one looking for a nice scotch on the lighter side.

Edit: Spelling

I haven't seen this one anywhere. It does sound interesting.

Thanks for the review.

You can find out more about The Arran here. Like Glenmorangie they are big on multiple different finishes on their malts. I don't think any bottling before this one was available in the States but there were 4 or 5 released in the UK, maybe more