• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Black Bottle 10 yo

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Black Bottle 10 yo blended Islay Scotch, 750 ml, short style bottle, no packaging, 80 proof, about $30-40. Available nationwide.

Black%20Bottle%2010.JPG

First blended in 1879 by Gordon Graham, Black Bottle has been a UK secret for decades but only recently have they come out with a 10 year aged version. As it says on the label, "Finest Scotch Whisky With A Heart Of Islay." That heart being all seven current Islay distillers which are.....say it with me now...

ARDBEG
BOWMORE
BRUICHLADDICH
BUNNAHABHAIN
CAOL ILA
LAGAVULIN
LAPHROAIG

As further stated on the back label, "Black Bottle 10 Year Old challanges the rules of deluxe whiskies....." A pretty bold statement and one that is thankfully true. If you are an Islay fan then just in time for Christmas you can treat yourself to a great spirit without breaking the bank.

Being that the bottle itself is really black you can't tell how much of this golden yellow spirit you have left so I'd advise keeping two in stock unless you have a few other Islays around to fall back on if your Black Bottle runs dry. The nose is pure Islay with seaweed and salt running neck and neck with a underlaying spiciness. The tasting is thick, chewy, malty flood of oily peat.covering your tongue in such a way that it makes you salivate thinking of your next sip. The finish is by far the longest I've ever had for a blended whisky. The peat flavor just camps out in your mouth for a good long time until you start the cycle again.

There are blends that use some Islay but there is only one that uses ALL Islay. This could easily be a $50 bottle and would still be a great buy. At the $30 I paid it is a steal. An ACE for sure :thumbs: .

I thought you'd be all over this Loren.

Blended Islay? Is it blended or is it vatted? Seems like a shame to put grain with Islay! I got to find a bottle of this.

I do know the difference between blended and vatted. It is blended and says so right on the label.

I gotta get me a bottle for that price. I'll search around town, but I'm pretty sure I got to look online for this.

Thanks AVB!

I do know the difference between blended and vatted. It is blended and says so right on the label.
I would never question you on your knowledge of Scotch! It just seemed odd for Islay! I need a bottle to test.

Sorry about that, it comes of a little pissy looking at it again. You can read about Black Bottle here.

I would never question you on your knowledge of Scotch! It just seemed odd for Islay! I need a bottle to test.

I had been looking for this off and on since I saw the favorable review. I was finally successful tonight. What a terrific scotch, especially for thirty bucks! I agree wholeheartedly about the way that it coats your mouth after taking a sip. I will be buying more of this for sure. Thank you very much AVB for letting me know this existed. For those of you who never buy a blended scotch, please make an exception for this! :D

Picked it up tonight for $39.00 @ kahns. I have been looking at getting this for a while now but just haven't really picked up until now.

Has Bill (CC) tried this one yet? I know he's a professed islay guy...

I have a serriouse love hate relationship going on with my local Bevmo.. Love em for carrying most all of this good stuff..Hate em cause there causing me to drink too much... They have this in, @ $37.99

Whoever thought of Bevmo was Evil... Evil I tell you!

I have a serriouse love hate relationship going on with my local Bevmo.. Love em for carrying most all of this good stuff..Hate em cause there causing me to drink too much... They have this in, @ $37.99

Whoever thought of Bevmo was Evil... Evil I tell you!

It's a good drink. If I find it on special again (checked my receipt, I got it for $32.99 15% off that week) I would grab another bottle.

All of the Islays I've had are pretty spicy/peppery. Is this characteristic less pronounced in Black Bottle? It seems that since it is blended it may be a little smoother in that regard, but I don't want to assume anything.