• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tormore 12 yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Tormore 12 yo Single Speyside Malt. 80 proof, 750ml, standard bottle, tube packaging, about $40-50, available nationwide.

Tormore%2012-2.jpg

Tormore is one of the newer distilleries in Scotland being built in 1958 with 4 stills. In 1972 this was expanded to the eight it has today. It also has the distinction of being first distillery built in Scotland in the 20th century Unusual in that it uses copper purifiers on all of the stills and while most of the output goes into Long John brand blends a 10 or 12 yo single malt has been bottled for a number of years. If you want, the original stall cottages are being refurbished an sold so you could live right next door to the distillery.

Tormore uses a lightly peated malt along with the purifiers to produce a light sweet malt that is normally aged in old bourbon casks before being bottled.

I decided to use my glass of Tormore as a digestif for our left over turkey dinner. Believe me I needed it considering how much I ate :) After doing the dishes I parked myself in my Eames chair, poured a dram and proceeded to act like a potato waiting for dinner to settle.

The color is an amber both in the bottle and a little lighter in the glass. The nose is slightly smoky and malty with grassy hints in the background. Tasting brings the malt to the fore along with a somewhat smokey toffee flavor. Just slightly acidic on the sides of the tongue which makes an interesting counterpoint to the vanilla from the bourbon casks. The finish is rather short but does leave you wanting more. Overall a hard to classify malt but quite decent. This would be an interesting alternative to The Balvenie Founder's Reserve or either of the 2 big Glens. A solid midrange dram.

Tormore doesn't seem to be to popular here :(

I want to like it, but your review makes me think you won't be ordering a second bottle. Thanks for the review AVB!

Well with over 100 open bottles it takes quite some time to finish sometimes. You're right in a sense, my next one won't be this age or finish because I'll want to try something different.

I want to like it, but your review makes me think you won't be ordering a second bottle. Thanks for the review AVB!