• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

End of trade embargo

sack

'From man's sweat and God's love, beer came to be.
I posted this on the lobby but thought this might be the better place for this nugget. Lew states in the latest weekly special that he is clearing out stock to make way for cuban cigars that he expects to be supplied with soon. Go to the weekly special at jrcigars.com and see what you think. I'm looking for an opinion from one of the more established members at CP. Whadda ya think, is it possible that we're close to the end of this debacle?

This is being posted on many if not all the Cigar Boards...

Like many have said, "I'll believe it when I see it"

Right now if things go as they are planned in Cuba, when Fidel dies, his brother will take over. Raúl is the current acting president.

The U.S. wants to "help Cuba transition from the Castro regime to a free society." Part of that plan is for the United States to offer “prioritized assistance” to a new, transitional Cuban government that presses ahead quickly with free elections. Raul will not allow that to happen.

The U.S. will help Cuba "provided we are asked by a Cuban transition government that is committed to dismantling all instruments of state repression, and implementing internationally respected human rights and fundamental freedoms.” Above all, that transitional government must be committed to free elections within 18 months.

Again, if Raul is in power, he will not allow that to happen. When Castro dies, it will be very interesting to see what happens. I'm just not counting on seeing the embargo lifted anytime soon.

For more info Linky

It must be a joke...

This is being posted on many if not all the Cigar Boards...

Like many have said, "I'll believe it when I see it"

Right now if things go as they are planned in Cuba, when Fidel dies, his brother will take over. Raúl is the current acting president.

The U.S. wants to "help Cuba transition from the Castro regime to a free society." Part of that plan is for the United States to offer “prioritized assistance” to a new, transitional Cuban government that presses ahead quickly with free elections. Raul will not allow that to happen.

The U.S. will help Cuba "provided we are asked by a Cuban transition government that is committed to dismantling all instruments of state repression, and implementing internationally respected human rights and fundamental freedoms.” Above all, that transitional government must be committed to free elections within 18 months.

Again, if Raul is in power, he will not allow that to happen. When Castro dies, it will be very interesting to see what happens. I'm just not counting on seeing the embargo lifted anytime soon.

For more info Linky

I think Raul is much more open to US involvement in Cuba than Fidel was/is. But, to what limit is the $10,000 question. I think part of Raul's optimistic comments as to US involvement are to quell another revolution after it is made fact that Fidel has passed.

The BS from JR's is just that, plain and unadulterated BS. The Trading With the Enemy Act will not go away anytime in the near future. This is just yet another sales ploy by JRCigars.... :rolleyes:

He's probably making room for some "pre-embargo" Pinars or something great like that! :rolleyes:

I'm looking for an opinion from one of the more established members at CP.

While I'm not that established, yer gettin' my $.02 anyway.

A. Lew Rothman is a masterful salesman. He got people to send him money years ago so that they could "prebuy" boxes of Cuban cigars that would be available when the embargo ends. He has taken public, rebought, and sold again his company. He's a very astute businessman, and anything you read in his sales materials should, IMO, be viewed as marketing and nothing else.

B. I think that Fidel's passing, when it happens, will open the door to the eventual removal of the embargo, but I don't think it will happen right away. The only reason sanctions are still in place is because of the powerful Cuban and Cuban American political lobby that exists in this country (particularly in FL).

But they don't just want Castro gone, they want their families' properties back.

I don't see Raul handing back much in the way of property or businesses any time soon...

Politics aside, the P.T. Barnum of cigar retailing is at it again. If you know what he's dishing, it can be mildly amusing. Anything from his own personal history and experience in the industry is enlightening. But if it involves selling then it's strictly ad copy.

Wilkey

The BS from JR's is just that, plain and unadulterated BS. The Trading With the Enemy Act will not go away anytime in the near future. This is just yet another sales ploy by JRCigars.... :rolleyes:
I'm not so sure about that Bill, stating that the embargo is ending would be a bad way to sell non cubans. Imho people would start saving their cash for the good stuff, if you consider cubans the good stuff. :D

I'm not so sure about that Bill, stating that the embargo is ending would be a bad way to sell non cubans. Imho people would start saving their cash for the good stuff, if you consider cubans the good stuff. :D

Or, they'd be the special clearance sale cigars for the Cubans that are supposedly coming...

If the embargo was set to end soon, don't you think we'd see some news in the REAL news like on CNN or something and not a cigar site? I would think something like that would be a major news story.

Hey CC, when is our 5 years up? ;)

Brian

If the embargo was set to end soon, don't you think we'd see some news in the REAL news like on CNN or something and not a cigar site? I would think something like that would be a major news story.

Bingo! Remember folks, we're not the only ones affected by the embargo. There are other people who have an interest in the removal of the embargo, and if it was anywhere close I'm sure it would much bigger news.

And while I was thinking about Lew's BS, and the idea that it might cause us to want to hold our money for "the good stuff", I think more so it's a reason to go to their site to check out any information, and while you're there, "Oh look, there's a sale on some cigars, I might as well buy some while I'm here."

In my opinion, the people who own certain brands that are produced both in Cuba and other parts would be in court trying to protect their intellectual property which were taken from them by Castro, and away from Cnn and other prying eyes. There's no doubt in my mind that the Cubans and their European partners would love to sell in the U.S. Lew Rothman is one ofthose owners. :D

Lew Rothman is one of those owners...

I believe Altadis owns a 50% stake in Habanos SA, as well as a controlling interest in JR. It therefore has rights to many of the brand names in both the US and the rest of the world.

Be interesting to see what kind of arrangement Altadis and Swedish Match come to when the embargo ends...

simple marketing ploy....and it seems to be working, here and on other boards. he has people talking about him (JR cigars/Lew Rothman)...not the embargo...

Brittney shows her snatch, Lew talks about the end of the embargo......both trying for the same result.

Folks are talking about them.....big news. Attention whoring at it's best. Call it clever or annoying, it does seem to get results.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.