• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best domestic thin-ring gauge cigars

Black Plague

I'm sure I'm not alone in hating this godawful trend towards big, donkey-schlong-sized cigars. To me, a lot of blends just do not work in a big 54 ring gauge.

My first foray into panetela-sized cigars was at a B&M in Louisville, KY, the area I'm originally from (great place called Kremer's Smoke Shoppe...if you're ever in Loo-uh-vuhl, make sure you stop by there and see the most ungodly selection of cigars you'll ever see in your life). He had two boxes of Padron Panetelas, one natural and one maduro, which I'd venture to guess had probably been sitting there forever (plenty of age!) and tasted absolutely wonderful. Now I usually don't care much for N000 series from Padron, but their corona, lonsdale, and panetela sized cigars are to die for!

I've recently taken to experimenting with some cigars thinner in their ring gauge (below 42) from my local B&M here in Bloomington. It's a much smaller place, and since the current demand for panetelas and lanceros is even smaller, they obviously don't have much in the way of variety. So far I've tried a Partagas No. 6...and found out that a thin gauge won't make an already crappy cigar any better, a Punch London Club (makes the Punch flavor even more intense), and I'm about to torch an Ashton Panetela (hoping the Partagas rule won't apply :laugh: ).

So, for those of you who are like me...what do you think are the best domestically-available thin ring gauged cigars out?

Neither Tatuaje Especiales and FFOX Petit Lanceros suck, IMO

The Tat Especiales are certainly worth trying. The Miami 8/11 Lancero is another that you should add to that list. Though they are discontinued, the Oneoff Laguito No. 1', 2's, and Ninfas are pretty good too. I believe that CI is selling them at more reasonable prices. The LFD Lanceros are unbelievable, but a little harder to find. The Davidoff Millennium Blend Lonsdale is a wonderful cigar, but they get a bit pricey. So there is my .02.

Those sound delicious!

Anyone tried the Joya de Nic Antano Lancero? That thing sounds to me like a serious butt-kicker.

I'm watching this thread with some definite interest. I have just started to appreciate the thinner ring gauges, when I first started smoking cigars about two years ago I thought bigger meant better. After enjoying some of the fatter gauged cigars I began smoking more downsize cigars like Coronas instead of Robustos and found that I am able to pick on the subtleties of a cigar a little easier. The only Panatela or similar sized cigar I have had yet was an LGC Glorias and I thoroughly enjoyed that particular smoke.

I will make sure try some of the cigars you guys are name dropping and report back what I think.

There aren't many that I know of that are great. I'd count the LFD Lanceros and Graycliff Espresso Elegantes (lancero size) among the best.

Wilkey

There aren't many that I know of that are great. I'd count the LFD Lanceros and Graycliff Espresso Elegantes (lancero size) among the best.

Wilkey

I'll second that one and the Tatuaje. I also really like the Opus X Petite Lanceros and the Perfecxion No. 5.

If your talking about the Briar and Burley they had bot of those in stock when I was there last summer visiting my parents.

Their selection was much bigger when they were in the mall. Now it looks like the selection is higher quality vs. quantity.

For me you cannot beat the Padrons for legal thin ring smokes. The regular line Panatela, Ambassador and Palma (Lancero and short lancero) sizes are terrific with some age on them. For the bigger budget the PAN and PAM Coronas and Monarchas are wonderful smokes also.

This endeth your daily FlyFish Padron public service announcement. :blush: l

The Padron Fumas when available is an excellent cigar for the price point.

Ashton Tres Mystique
Tatuaje Noellas
Opus #4

Padilla Miami 8 & 11 Lancero

I'm getting to be a big fan of the Lonsdale and Lancero vitolas myself, here are a few of my favorites...

LFD Lancero
Padron Ambassador Maduro
Padilla Miami Lancero
Davidoff (too many good thin cigars to mention)
VSG Illusion

How many times do I have to tell you guys. Long, thin ring gauge cigars are for swarthy, unctuous, thin mustachioed pimps. :sign:

Doc.

All these guys are dead on as far as my favorite smaller ring gauge smokes :D .

My top 3:
-Opus PL
-LFD Lancero
-Padron 1964 Monarca

Those sound delicious!

Anyone tried the Joya de Nic Antano Lancero? That thing sounds to me like a serious butt-kicker.

Just got a box yesterday. They came from JR's so they were sopping wet, but I tried one anyway. Not bad....we'll see how they do with about a week's rest.